PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when...

vegashomeexpert
05-25-2006, 08:54 PM
You can't find a third? Had a hankerin' to go out this afternoon and the son and I could not find another soul to go! Couldn't even bribe the daughter or guilt her into it? Should we have gone and risked getting thrown into the hoosgow for not having an observer? Should we have trolled the marina and beaches? It is not like it hasn't happened before, it just hasn't happened recently. We stayed home and I went back to work. What should I have done? :confused:

Maristar210
05-25-2006, 09:11 PM
You can't find a third? Had a hankerin' to go out this afternoon and the son and I could not find another soul to go! Couldn't even bribe the daughter or guilt her into it? Should we have gone and risked getting thrown into the hoosgow for not having an observer? Should we have trolled the marina and beaches? It is not like it hasn't happened before, it just hasn't happened recently. We stayed home and I went back to work. What should I have done? :confused:

Skied :banana:

Steve

stevo137
05-25-2006, 09:12 PM
If conditions were right and I know DNR is not out there, I would go for it as long as I have a good driver.

SkiDog
05-25-2006, 09:14 PM
Man, you live in Vegas, and couldn't find somebody to go out in the boat?!?!?!??! Whats up with dat?!?! :shocked:

88 PS190
05-25-2006, 09:20 PM
Buy a hooker, i'm sure they'd be pleasantly surprised when all you wanted them to do was spot!

BrianM
05-25-2006, 09:33 PM
How old is your daughter? If she was still living in my house and I needed a third it would not have been an optional request. Simply her duty as part of the family. Otherwise on a week day I would have taken my chances and gone without.

One thing I love about Louisiana. No need for a third as long as you have a 7 x 14 mirror. Wife and I used to go out just the two of us all the time.

jimmer2880
05-25-2006, 09:35 PM
Buy a hooker, i'm sure they'd be pleasantly surprised when all you wanted them to do was spot!

:uglyhamme

Footin
05-25-2006, 09:52 PM
Get a maniquin for the observer seat, we used to have one for that very reason (we called her Valarie)

Hoosier Bob
05-25-2006, 09:53 PM
Don't Ask Leroy! :D

dapicatti
05-25-2006, 10:15 PM
This has happened to us all too often. No kids to guilt into coming with us so now I am taking reservations for weekends with friends.....only way to ensure we can ski! :D

PendO
05-25-2006, 10:25 PM
Skied :banana:

Steve

I cannot confirm or deny

airdrew99
05-25-2006, 10:55 PM
In Arkansas, all you need is a convex ski mirror.

Danimal
05-25-2006, 11:06 PM
In Arkansas, all you need is a convex ski mirror.

In Arkansas all you need is a Sister to have a family :rolleyes:

I kid, I kid... 8p

6ballsisall
05-25-2006, 11:08 PM
Get a maniquin for the observer seat, we used to have one for that very reason (we called her Valarie)

Footin, I don't even want to know why you guys really had that maniquin!! :eek:

airdrew99
05-25-2006, 11:08 PM
In Arkansas all you need is a Sister to have a family :rolleyes:

I kid, I kid... 8p
Luckily I'm from Fort Worth, Texas.

Ryan
05-26-2006, 02:06 AM

When I got the boat I thought I'd have to beat friends off with a stick. Never happened.

I have a comitted driver and my wife as a third/sometimes the driver. Since I have I have friends with college student friends it's easy. I've taken a niece or nephew out when my wife couldn't go.

Put a post up on one of the wakeboarding forums and I bet you'll get a comitment from someone really fast - they're all used to paying for gas too.

rodltg2
05-26-2006, 02:13 AM
ive used a hooded sweatshirt, stuf it with a pillow and clothes, took a turn bouy and shuffed it on the hood , took an old halloween mask of freddy krueger, a hat and sunglasses. pinned a a flag to the arm and bada bing i had a third...

88 PS190
05-26-2006, 02:20 AM
Heck i just inflate betsy sue and rinse her off a bit, throw a hat on and we're good to go.

Only disadvantage, she's a scarecrow for the female sex, and a social pariah.

Though if she wore the freddy krueger mask i'm sure there would be more glares.

(pm me if you'd like this toned down in any way)

ajgressette
05-26-2006, 05:03 AM

I love it! :uglyhamme

Cary K.
05-26-2006, 08:44 AM
We don't need a third here, but I have heard on other message boards about people actually hiring day laborers as thirds. They are usually pretty cheap and they don't ski/ride, so more time for the other two. Who wouldn't want to get paid to ride in a boat all day.

firstmc
05-26-2006, 09:09 AM
Throw the dog in the boat!

jlf
05-26-2006, 09:14 AM
We are having this same problem this year. Most of the people we used to ride with have made some big changes in their lives in the past year which are keeping them from the water, in return it is keeping me on the shore also. Happened more than once already this year. Can't seem to beg people to want to come out with us, not even for beer!!

ajgressette
05-26-2006, 09:16 AM
The third person sounded strange to me so i looked this up. However I like the idea of the mannequin. NOW THATS FUNNY :steering:

The South Carolina Department of Natural Resources

Every vessel towing a person(s) on water skis, a surfboard or a similar device must have:
*A person, in addition to the vessel operator, observing the towed person(s) or...
*A wide-angle rearview mirror mounted such that the operator can observe the towed person(s) at all times.

88 PS190
05-26-2006, 11:34 AM
We don't need a third here, but I have heard on other message boards about people actually hiring day laborers as thirds. They are usually pretty cheap and they don't ski/ride, so more time for the other two. Who wouldn't want to get paid to ride in a boat all day.

Awesome, as soon as cherry season is done up in Traverse there are tons of unemployed migrants, 5 bucks for 3 hours DONE!

Wakeboarders grab up the fat ones.

Ryan
05-26-2006, 11:42 AM
I have taken a pull from this (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=9). Who else has used Find a Pull/Give a Pull?

jkski
05-26-2006, 11:48 AM
How much is the fine vs. how bad do you want to go? This was the question I would always ask myself, and if you are willing to pay the fine, go for it, and if you don't get caught, then BONUS and save the money for the next time.
Granted, be sure to have a good driver and mirror in place!

For what it's worth, I contend that a good/experienced driver using a mirror will ALWAYS get back to a fallen skier faster than a boat with an observer....why...because the driver is not being distracted by the person sitting next to him/her trying to carry on a conversation! (This argument does not work with the ODNR, I've tried)

rodltg2
05-26-2006, 11:48 AM

thats hilarious, i guess next time i need a third i'll pull up, boat and all to Home Depot

WakeSeeky
05-26-2006, 12:03 PM
Sadly, if we have no third we don't go. The Rangers will probably see you long before you notice them. If it's not real busy, they have less to watch and it's more likely you'll get to chat with them. I speak from experience when I say they like to see your skier down flag. :o

We are always on the lookout for new friends who would like to go, it's harder than I'd have thought to find someone who'll show up when they're supposed to. Actually, I'm a little disappointed, I thought this is precisely what kids are for. ;)

shepherd
05-26-2006, 12:07 PM
We used to ski on a river in MD which had one advantage. We would do a high speed "sweep" up and down the river a mile or so each way. If the man wasn't in sight, one of us would drop in and we'd take off for a quick run up/down the river. Never got caught.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-26-2006, 12:26 PM
:D He11, you live in Vegas, if you cant find a 3rd for a spotter, hire a hooker. Just because she is a hooker doesnt mean you have to have sex with her. It can be a cheap hooker, pay her to watch you ski, tell her it excites you, she wont know the difference, and the money is still green. or just stop at the local bar and snag any old drunk there and buy them a 6 pack to ski with you. better chance of the hooker looking good in the boat though. :friday:

I would have just skied, thats what I do and take your chances on a ticket. I never pass up good water and weather, spotter or not. :twocents:

WakeSeeky
05-26-2006, 12:30 PM
:D He11, you live in Vegas, if you cant find a 3rd for a spotter, hire a hooker.

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard this suggested, I could hire a full time third. ;)

Ryan
05-26-2006, 02:56 PM
Hey Vegashomeexpert and WakeSeeky, I'm going to be on Mead for a houseboat trip in a week and a half around Echo Bay (6/9-11) if you need a third. Or come on by, I'll swap ya a ski set for a wakeboard set.

hacker
05-26-2006, 03:43 PM
If conditions were right and I know DNR is not out there, I would go for it as long as I have a good driver.

I haven't worried about it for years. All the people I trust to drive for me are safer and more capible than 95% of the driver/observer combos on lake. I was only stopped once, back in the mid 80's.

beef
05-26-2006, 04:00 PM
Don't your "inflatable observers" blow out of the boat? Now that'd be funny! Gettin scoped out by the dnr, when suddenly your observer flies 15 feet into the air...

btw, I would always choose to ski unless it's a holiday weekend.

rodltg2
05-26-2006, 04:11 PM
Don't your "inflatable observers" blow out of the boat? Now that'd be funny! Gettin scoped out by the dnr, when suddenly your observer flies 15 feet into the air...

btw, I would always choose to ski unless it's a holiday weekend.

what i have done is belt him it in. run a rope around the waist and tuck it in behined the back rest of the observer seat...on a newer190/ 197 it will be tougher since the whole seat lifts up

agua4fun
05-27-2006, 11:41 AM
This all sounds too familiar. I didnt have a 3rd yesterday, so i went for it with no 3rd, and wouldnt you know, about 12 turns down the river, here comes the cop. He was nice enough to base the ticket on a safety inspection. pass=no ticket / fail=ticket. good thing i passed.
the first thing they said when they pulled me over was "were glad to see you dont have one of those inflatible dolls to spot, we love to ticket those guys"
Must be more common than we think.
i did get a sticker from him too. i guess it was worth it :)

vegashomeexpert
05-27-2006, 01:36 PM
This all sounds too familiar. I didnt have a 3rd yesterday, so i went for it with no 3rd, and wouldnt you know, about 12 turns down the river, here comes the cop. He was nice enough to base the ticket on a safety inspection. pass=no ticket / fail=ticket. good thing i passed.
the first thing they said when they pulled me over was "were glad to see you dont have one of those inflatible dolls to spot, we love to ticket those guys"
Must be more common than we think.
i did get a sticker from him too. i guess it was worth it :)
Too funny! The daughter is almost 15. What's that mean? Yes, I can force her to do things but somehow the grief it causes isn't worth it. Compared to some of her friends, I am just happy she likes to do stuff with me at all. As far as not going Thursday? Just trying to set a good example for my son: Obey the rules, obide by the law. :)

canadianskier
05-27-2006, 02:22 PM
I have never had a spotter in the ten years me and my buddy go sking if its just the two of us, and we are confident in each others driving. That be said I think it is a law up here but never ever inforced. We even launched our boat once with the local R.C.M.P water police training right beside us, they just waved and said have fun.

Morgs
05-27-2006, 05:32 PM
We often ride without a 3rd. Only early and late in the season when no one else is out on the lake. The driver is very experienced (I wouldnít do it a lesser driver).

A few years a ago, a mate of ours went out once with a blow up doll in the spotters seat. After 10 min of laughing his butt off, he came in and couldnít finish his set. He said, every time he looked up and saw the expression on her (its) face (Iím sure you can imagine what Iím talking about) he nearly bust his gut laughing so hard.