PDA

View Full Version : First Time on Slalom - Pictures

east tx skier
10-10-2004, 12:24 AM
Man, I'm going to catch **** for this one. You just thought my shorts needed some work. Well kids, this was the mid-80s (85 I think), which would make me about 11 years old. And this was one of my first times to FINALLY get up on a slalom ski (quite possibly my first time up). My mom found this picture while doing me a favor and hunting for a picture for the "first boat you skied behind" thread. Note the double handle rope and wooden ski - these were necessary as getting up on one stick took a LONG time. Also, deny the green foam vest! Lee, that's on LBJ!

Let's get some old pictures up here! And if somebody says keep the handle down, ... :rant:

Mag_Red
10-10-2004, 12:31 AM
Do they even make those handles anymore?? Did that twist to lock together?? I think I may have even used one of those to learn..but for me....it was in the early 70's :eek: You goofy footed??

east tx skier
10-10-2004, 12:34 AM
I think you can still find them. I saw one on ebay earlier this year. It didn't twist together, but I would try to hold it together because it was so not cool looking. There are only two people in my family who aren't goofy-footed --- my brother-in-law and my cousin.

NeilM
10-10-2004, 10:54 AM
Great pic, Doug. And hey, we all start somewhere. We had double handles for many years too...

André
10-10-2004, 12:16 PM
You mean they actually make a single piece handle? LOL

east tx skier
10-11-2004, 11:34 AM
Okay, Andre, let's see some pictures of you doing a one-handed turn with a double! :)

MarkP
10-11-2004, 11:48 AM
I have only one word, Priceless :uglyhamme

east tx skier
10-11-2004, 06:05 PM
In 1985 ...

Two handled rope. $4.
Wooden Ski. $11.
Horrible trunks with the pockets hanging out. Priceless.

... For everything else, there's Deck Boat.

Tom Wortham
10-11-2004, 06:58 PM
Man, I'm going to catch **** for this one. You just thought my shorts needed some work. Well kids, this was the mid-80s (85 I think), which would make me about 11 years old. And this was one of my first times to FINALLY get up on a slalom ski (quite possibly my first time up). My mom found this picture while doing me a favor and hunting for a picture for the "first boat you skied behind" thread. Note the double handle rope and wooden ski - these were necessary as getting up on one stick took a LONG time. Also, deny the green foam vest! Lee, that's on LBJ!

Let's get some old pictures up here! And if somebody says keep the handle down, ... :rant:

Great shot Doug. What Lake?

André
10-11-2004, 07:22 PM
Even with no hints,we woukld have recognized your "smiling skiing face"... :D

Tom
It says it's from LBJ Texas.

ktn_cmu
10-12-2004, 09:42 AM
Yeah, great pic...those handles really bring back memories. I still say, "throw me the handles" as if there are two of them... Now, as far as lifejackets...anyone ever use the belt...thats what I started with, behind a 15hp alumacraft. The only thing the belt did was float you upside down so the crew could see your legs sticking up...

Good Times

Kyle

BriEOD
10-12-2004, 05:03 PM
Well, it is not a slalom shot, but an old shot probably mid 70's. And, it was the first thing I learned on. Also, I didn't want Doug to be the ONLY poor sole with an old picture on here (although old is relative).

east tx skier
10-13-2004, 03:45 PM
Great shot Doug. What Lake?

Lake LBJ near Blue Lake Estates.

Nice shot, Brian.

As for the belts, we wore them plenty (but mostly on zip sleds and sailboats when we were younger. I'll look for some pictures next time I'm in Houston and have a minute to spare.