PDA

View Full Version : Any cleaning tips?

dapicatti
05-25-2006, 02:20 AM
What do you guys normally do when you pull your boat out of the water? I've read in some of the posts that people drying the hull with a towel. I am a fan of Griots Garage products for my cars/SUV, and am wondering if anyone uses a product like SpeedShine on their boats.

We trailer at least an hour every time we go out, so I know there will be road grime and bugs every trip. I was just wondering if anyone was using something special to protect their MC's.

With a brand new X-2 I don't want to take any chances.

G-man
05-25-2006, 09:31 AM
Some people use white vineger and water, about 1/3 vineger - 2/3 water to wipe down the hull. It removes all the waterspots and some wax so you will need to wax more often. I have also used McQuiars quick detail spray and it works well. There are many opinions on what wax to use, what teak oil in the white bottle to use. Do a search and you will find a wealth of opinions.

RobertT
05-25-2006, 09:44 AM
I know its often overdone and overstated, but I have had great luck with spritzing the hull with 303 then wiping off. It can leave a little haze if you get too much, but everything just wipes right off the next time.

Keep in mind that we do not have hard water here, water spots are not a huge issue.

Last year, I waxed my entire hull about three times before I put it in the water (I keep my boat on a lift). After about a month, you could clearly see a dirty water line just from sitting in the lake a few hours while we were out. All of the other boats on the lake have the same thing. It was easy to remove with a little detergent and a brush while on the lift, but still had to be done pretty often.

I pulled it out for some maintenance, and waxed it again, but in lieu of two more coats of wax I "waxed" the hull with 303 and buffed it a little with a microfiber towel.

Long story short, I have not had to clean the hull since. Everything just sprays off with a hose, nothing sticks. About once a month during the summer, I get under the boat while its on the lift and spritz it with 303 and wipe it down. Takes a few minutes, very quick.

Anyway. I dont think it should be used in place of wax, but as a sealer/barrier it has worked great for me.

Also, 303 on the vinyl lettering is a must, I think it will really keep it new looking and prevent sun damage. With black lettering, I would assume that its even a bigger issue.

Good luck.

AZHAWK
05-25-2006, 10:11 AM
Some people use white vineger and water, about 1/3 vineger - 2/3 water to wipe down the hull. It removes all the waterspots and some wax so you will need to wax more often. I have also used McQuiars quick detail spray and it works well. There are many opinions on what wax to use, what teak oil in the white bottle to use. Do a search and you will find a wealth of opinions.

Make sure that you use "Distilled" water and vinegar so when it dries it does not leave any mineral spots. We have very hard water here in AZ so wiping the boat down with this mixture is a must. We use a 50/50 blend in order to clean off all of the mineral deposits etc. Works great. We will also wipe her down with some 303 protectant every other outing. So far so good. - AZHAWK

vegashomeexpert
05-25-2006, 10:45 AM
Magic eraser and Fantastic :) for the seats. It works like.....MAGIC. Follow up with 303.

rodltg2
05-25-2006, 10:48 AM
What do you guys normally do when you pull your boat out of the water? I've read in some of the posts that people drying the hull with a towel. I am a fan of Griots Garage products for my cars/SUV, and am wondering if anyone uses a product like SpeedShine on their boats.

We trailer at least an hour every time we go out, so I know there will be road grime and bugs every trip. I was just wondering if anyone was using something special to protect their MC's.

With a brand new X-2 I don't want to take any chances.

my ski partner uses griots and the mequires quick clean marine together. seems to work great for him. to expensive for me. imm thinking about trying the salad dressing ...

ajgressette
05-25-2006, 11:57 AM
We have a serious problem with hard water on our lake. Lime and rust deposits that can literally ruin a white boat. I found a product called FSR by Davis works very well. More so than Lime Away or CLR. Even then you still have to use rubbing compound and a good buffer every few years to keep it at bay. Last weekend I compounded the waterline and put two coats of wax on the boat. After having the boat in the water for only four hours Sunday you can see the new waterlines. :cool:

Harvey
05-25-2006, 02:01 PM
I keep a small boat kit in the bed of my truck for cleaning the boat after every use. In it you will find two bottles of vinegar/water mix, 303 protectant, 303 vinyl/carpet cleaner, teak oil, various polishes and waxes, FSR (for the really tough spots), some rags, and a couple old toothbrushes for getting in the small spots.

I usually mix the vinegar (40%) and water (60%) with a little lemon juice to take away the smell. If I want to keep the boat waxed without having to rewax it after repeated use of vinegar I put some liquid wax mixed into the vinegar/water mixture that way I am reapplying a small amount of wax while I clean the boat. It works great.

dapicatti
05-25-2006, 05:02 PM
my ski partner uses griots and the mequires quick clean marine together. seems to work great for him. to expensive for me. imm thinking about trying the salad dressing ...

We continually use Griots on our cars and really like the results. I like the idea of the meguirs with it. I am trying to find 303 locally, our dealer only had a tiny tiny bottle of it (1) in stock and is over 1 hour away so any suggestions of where to get 303 online?

Thanks for all the advice re kits etc. I have a kit for each of my cars so now I know what I need for the boat. :cool:

kalanic
05-25-2006, 05:06 PM
www.myboatstore.com/aerospaceprotectant.htm
Try here. They stock all sizes of 303. Good stuff!

dapicatti
05-25-2006, 05:09 PM
Re Seats:

Fantastic is reccomended by 303, not 409 right? Are you using 303 each time or once a weekend etc? I am trying to avoid the sliding issue on the seats.

I know this has been discussed many times before, but I appreciate all the advice from those of you who are actually using this.

Thanks.

kalanic
05-25-2006, 05:14 PM
I 303 after every outing! No 409.

dapicatti
05-25-2006, 05:44 PM
OK so far for the kit we have
1)303
2) Fantastic and Magic Eraser
3) distilled water/vinegar and lemon potion
4) Griots speed shine and Mc Guires
5)teak treatment
6) 303 carpet cleaner

I am sure we will be adding to this list, and will let you know how it worked out this weekend.
Thanks again. :)

skitilldark
05-25-2006, 05:46 PM
I personally never do anything at the ramp anymore. The reason is that small particles of dirt and rock, etc cling to the boat. When you pass a towel or chamois, etc across it, it will put small wax scratches in the boat. This is especially for dark hulls(on your X-2, there is a good part that is white so it may not be a factor}. But I've found it a lot easier to just wait until I can properly clean the entire boat. If you aren't prepared to soap the whole thing up right there, I just put it off until I get it home. Just make sure to get hull cleaner to take the stains off. But remember to keep the boat waxed if you]re going to do this.
Good luck with the boat. I'm SO JEALOUS!!!!

AZHAWK
05-25-2006, 05:46 PM
Re Seats:

Fantastic is reccomended by 303, not 409 right? Are you using 303 each time or once a weekend etc? I am trying to avoid the sliding issue on the seats.

I know this has been discussed many times before, but I appreciate all the advice from those of you who are actually using this.

Thanks.

dapicatti- we use a product called "Once Over" by Spray Nine for the vinyl and the seats etc. It is a quick cleaner/protectant for the seats without as much sliding like you would see with the 303. Unfortunately, any type of protectant will have some sort of sliding associated with it. Also, make sure that you get the 303 "protectant" as they make other cleaning products as well. We always wipe the trailer down with the 303 protectant too. You want to make that MC trailer shine and have a finish that lasts just as long as your boats. Works good on the tires and any rubber that is on the trailer. Good luck with the boat. The new X2 is a great choice and is what we would own if we didn't already have our X30. - AZHAWK

dapicatti
05-25-2006, 05:55 PM
dapicatti- we use a product called "Once Over" by Spray Nine for the vinyl and the seats etc. It is a quick cleaner/protectant for the seats without as much sliding like you would see with the 303. Unfortunately, any type of protectant will have some sort of sliding associated with it. Also, make sure that you get the 303 "protectant" as they make other cleaning products as well. We always wipe the trailer down with the 303 protectant too. You want to make that MC trailer shine and have a finish that lasts just as long as your boats. Works good on the tires and any rubber that is on the trailer. Good luck with the boat. The new X2 is a great choice and is what we would own if we didn't already have our X30. - AZHAWK
I completely forgot about the trailer! You can tell I have had boats- boats- boats on the mind and not the whole package. I am going to use it this weekend, even though the weather is supposed to be crappy- we're going boating!

kalanic
05-25-2006, 06:08 PM
Where ya goin??

dapicatti
05-25-2006, 09:11 PM
Where ya goin??
We are headed to Lake Chelan, WA- Eastern Washington where the sun usually shines! However, forecast is rainy, cold, cloudy with sunbreaks. That's all we need to hear! The Columbia River is about 10 mins away if the lake is too choppy, so we go there when we can't get good water. Don't think there will be any good water anywhere but we will try!

88 PS190
05-25-2006, 10:49 PM
If there is no water left to spot there is no spot to form.

California water blade.

AZHAWK
05-26-2006, 12:22 AM
If there is no water left to spot there is no spot to form.

California water blade.

Here in AZ it's so hot that the boat dries way too fast. Besides, we get spots all over the deck from people climbing in and out of the boat during the day. They bake on quickly. The water/vinegar combo is the only thing that gets rid of the mineral deposits easily. - AZHAWK