PDA

View Full Version : X-9 dead. out of ideas.

skitilldark
05-24-2006, 09:07 PM
Got the boat out for the first time today(yeah, I know...don't get me started). Turned the key and the only thing on the dash that moved was the depth guage. All instruments dead. No fuel pump. No ignition. Zilch. All other accessories...tower lights, stereo, heater, lights, etc all function fine. Just no ignition circuit at all. And the ignition circuit breaker under the dash keeps popping. Any ideas?

ajgressette
05-24-2006, 09:58 PM
Disconnect the battery and make sure the terminals are clean and reconnect them. Make sure the ground on the motor is good and tight and the hot wire on the starter. Could be one of many things but this is what I would do first.

Hey if all else fails you can always get out the hammer and give everything a few technical taps. Just kidding. :D

rektek
05-25-2006, 12:59 AM
if your fuse keeps blowing you have a direct short to ground. expose as much of the harness as you can for that circuit. look for problem area's, chaffed wires, poor routing near engine or trans. think about what has changed since it ran fine, has there been a service or a new stereo install etc.. loose battery and ground connections will not blow fuses. you should be able to find this short rather quickly. it's the intermittent shorts that can be troublesome

Diesel
05-25-2006, 11:15 AM
There is a circuit breaker between the battery and the dash. It is usually right next to the battery or on older models it was on the rear of the engine. Make sure it is not open.

gmille39
05-29-2006, 05:00 AM
Check the solenoid. take a screwdriver and touch the two posts at the same time and this should start the boat. If it does then there is a problem with the solenoid. Power is not getting through.

hacker
05-29-2006, 09:07 AM
Check the hot and ground wires where they attach to the ignition switch. I had a similar sounding problem last fall and that's what it turned out to be.

FrankSchwab
05-29-2006, 11:50 AM
If you haven't taken the battery out and charged it, do so.

If it worked fine when you parked it, and doesn't now, especially with the circuit breaker blowing, then there's one logical conclusion: something bad happened over the winter.

Look for rodent damage - did a rat get in the boat and start chewing on wires?
Look for Corrosion damage - did a wire sit in water all winter long, and corrode through, leading to an unintended short?

Good luck.

/frank

skitilldark
05-29-2006, 04:35 PM
Found the problem. When the mechanics put in the 90 amp alternator, they crossed a ground wire.

peason
05-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Good news! now get out there!

skitilldark
05-29-2006, 11:02 PM

See next thread down. Unfortunately.

skitilldark
05-29-2006, 11:04 PM

The thread called "out of the water on memorial day" that is.