PDA

View Full Version : how to start tournament skiing

richardsoncd
05-24-2006, 04:18 PM
I would be interested in starting to tournament ski, I have never done it, but think it would be great and a lot of fun. I don't trick ski, or jump...just slalom, but I learn quick and am good on the water.
Here are a few questions:

1) Do I need to join a team
2) At 27, is it too late to start
3) What are my first steps to start tournament skiing

Thanks

TNH2oSkier
05-24-2006, 04:58 PM
check out the www.intleague.com its a grass roots orginization that is a lot of fun.

Mi.mc
05-24-2006, 05:01 PM
There are local tournaments, that are open to people of all skill levels.

First step would be to evaluate your skiing, and get into the course, you don't need to 3-event. You don't need a specific skill level to compete, just do your best and do it for fun.

You'll need a membership to the waterski association that is holding the tourney, that will likely be USA waterski. And being active with those associations will keep you informed of local competetions.

Joining a ski Club would be a good step, because you will make friends who are able to give you pointers and compete against, as well as train with.

TMCNo1
05-24-2006, 05:06 PM
I would be interested in starting to tournament ski, I have never done it, but think it would be great and a lot of fun. I don't trick ski, or jump...just slalom, but I learn quick and am good on the water.

Thanks

You do not need to join a team!
You are never too old to try it!
GO TO A SKI SCHOOL FIRST!
Join USA Waterski and get from them the contact info for the Georgia Waterski Association and Join, or find someone in your area that skis a slalom course and see if any of them compete and they will hook you up with the info.
Most state organizations publish and mail to members info on tournament schedules, locations, motel info, entry fees, types of tournaments, directions, etc. USA Waterski also sends out to members, a pre-season book listing all the known tournaments in all regions of the country. Ski schools in your state will also have membership info and tournament schedules as many who run or work at these schools compete in one fashion or the other.

LakePirate
05-24-2006, 05:35 PM
The INT League doesn't exist in Georgia.

If you look at USA Waterski's website and click around here and there
you can find a list of tournaments in the Southeastern region.

Pick you out one, let me know which one and I will go with you and look like an idiot as well.

richardsoncd
05-24-2006, 06:12 PM
The INT League doesn't exist in Georgia.

If you look at USA Waterski's website and click around here and there
you can find a list of tournaments in the Southeastern region.

Pick you out one, let me know which one and I will go with you and look like an idiot as well.

Done and done....do you have a course to run down in your neck of the woods? Or better yet, in between? If so lets go hit it up soon.

atlfootr
05-24-2006, 08:17 PM
I would be interested in starting to tournament ski ThanksWhat kind ....slalomn or barefoot?

richardsoncd
05-24-2006, 10:27 PM
What kind ....slalomn or barefoot?

slalom....but I would love to learn to barefoot as well, just never really given barefooting a shot. I hear winterhaven is nice this time of year :toast:

SKI*MC
05-24-2006, 11:07 PM
I'm going into a wakeboard competition this year. I am no where near tournament level, but it is a Hyperlite gig that they put on every year all over the U.S. for riders of all experience.

phecksel
05-25-2006, 11:33 AM

Thanks

First thing you do is build your own private lake
Then you install "training aids" course
Then set several world records
finally hold a tournament at your own private lake

Avoids the long hours of training and any natural skill required to succeed

TonyB
05-25-2006, 12:55 PM
My advice to you is to join a club. A ski club will generally be able to provide access to slalom courses, jumps, equipment, boats, and people of like mind and desires. The knowledge and expertise one can glean from association with a good ski club is priceless.

The nearest AWSA affiliated club appears to be a private lake club operated by Jody Johnson Watersports at Crow's Lake in Jefferson. His email is: JJWS@MINDSPRING.COM . His phone number is listed as (770) 860-0579.

Additionally, UGA has a team that practices at Lake Lanier and Lake Sinclair (and various private lakes). This implies that there are courses available at these locations. I would try to talk to some (or one) of the team members to see if there are any non-university affiliated clubs in the area.

Here is UGA's ski team FAQ page on their website.
http://www.uga.edu/waterski/question.htm#5

Atlanta has a high dollar private ski club.
http://www.waterskiatlanta.com

I suspect there are others.

Or you can do as I did and form your own club. We eventually grew to where we owned and maintained several slalom courses and a regulation, transportable, ski jump. Additionally we sponsored annual 3 event tournaments and put on 2-3 ski shows yearly. It was a lot of work but a lot of fun too.

I hope this helps.

richardsoncd
05-26-2006, 08:28 AM
I tried JJWS@mindspring.com but got no response, but Bruce Culpepper did get back with me. I am going to the Culpepper's Ski School to take some lessons and probably join there team. The are holding the state tournament this year. Maybe I'll see one or two of you out there.

Lake-check your inbox brotha.