PDA

View Full Version : Cement!

jmyers
05-24-2006, 02:43 PM
Need some info! I have a cement patio that was done by someone who didn't know how to do cement! It is very rough and I was wondering if there is a way to sand it, or something to smooth it out! I don't want to tear it up and replace!~ :confused:

Rockman
05-24-2006, 02:52 PM
PM or email Golfhacker. He is the King on Concrete! :toast:

JimN
05-24-2006, 03:24 PM
How smooth do you want it? There are concrete finishing companies who can grind the surface smooth (like in a big box store or factory) or just get it smoother than it is. You may be able to rent the machine to do this.

Kevin 89MC
05-24-2006, 03:28 PM
The best is to tear it up & start over. You can grind or sandblast, but it will probably look worse. When concrete is properly finished, cement "cream" is pulled to the top to seal over the aggregate to provide a stong, durable finish. It sounds like you don't have this now, and blasting or grinding will not bring it back either. You'll be left with a surface that will not hold up well. Unless you were hoping for an "exposed aggregate" or rough finish, but it doesn't sound like it. Concrete finishing is not easy, my company does it commercially and we eff it up more than you would think.
You could try putting a skimcoat over it, but that will likely not last long, even if high-end (expensive) materials are used. Send a pic if you want, but sadly you're best off re-doing it.

jmyers
05-24-2006, 03:30 PM
The best is to tear it up & start over. You can grind or sandblast, but it will probably look worse. When concrete is properly finished, cement "cream" is pulled to the top to seal over the aggregate to provide a stong, durable finish. It sounds like you don't have this now, and blasting or grinding will not bring it back either. You'll be left with a surface that will not hold up well. Unless you were hoping for an "exposed aggregate" or rough finish, but it doesn't sound like it. Concrete finishing is not easy, my company does it commercially and we eff it up more than you would think.
You could try putting a skimcoat over it, but that will likely not last long, even if high-end (expensive) materials are used. Send a pic if you want, but sadly you're best off re-doing it.
Thanks, for the input! I will try to get a picture, it is just a pain in the Arse! Should have been done right the first time! It was a bank job after a repo and they didn't care. :mad:

Jorski
05-24-2006, 03:48 PM
Top N Bond....will work as a skim coat. It engineered to be used in a thin coat and to stick to cured concrete.

Top N Bond (http://consumer.kpmindustries.com/documents/TopnBond.pdf)

Warning: if you try this with regular concrete, it crack and chip off almost immediately.

Other ideas:
Top with outdoor ceramic tile, pavers or stone. All would require a mortar bed, but could look terriffic.

M-Funf
05-24-2006, 03:57 PM
Kevin's right. Don't try to repair it. Either replace it or cover it like Jorski suggested.

I'd put flagstone or slate over the top. Easy to do and it would look much better than concrete.

86Craft
05-24-2006, 05:53 PM
My friend bought a place that had a barn used for cattle. Really rough textured floor by design. O course he wanted it smoother for his shop. He asked around and all the concret guys told him to rent a grinder, and grind it down. He did it in a day, and it looks sweet. Super dusty, but it worked. Not sure if it applies to you, but...good luck.

jmyers
05-24-2006, 05:56 PM
My friend bought a place that had a barn used for cattle. Really rough textured floor by design. O course he wanted it smoother for his shop. He asked around and all the concret guys told him to rent a grinder, and grind it down. He did it in a day, and it looks sweet. Super dusty, but it worked. Not sure if it applies to you, but...good luck.
Thanks for the info! I will investigate these options this weekend, when the new cement is done all around the old really making it look like S**T! :rant: