View Full Version : warning to dog owners

05-24-2006, 09:53 AM
Yesterday one of our dog agility friends experienced a tragedy and wanted me to pass a special message along to all of my dog loving friends and family. Please tell dog owner you know.

Over the weekend the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden. They loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog Calypso, decided that the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk. Half way through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.

Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the companies web site, this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs.

Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that "It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it."

True information about the mulch can be found here - http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoa.htm This site gives the following information:

Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called "Theo bromine".

It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. Just a word of caution ? check what you are using in your gardens and be aware of what your gardeners are using in your gardens.

Theo bromine is the ingredient that is used to make all chocolate ? especially dark or baker's chocolate ? which is toxic to dogs.

Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.

Please email the manufacturer at [email protected] (this e-mail is no longer active) and request that accurate information about this product be posted on the packaging to avoid further tragedy.


05-24-2006, 11:20 AM
Wow an urban legend like note that is actually true

Thank you for posting the info


05-24-2006, 02:01 PM
Chocolate can be poisonous to dogs, it's just weird that it is used in some mulch :cool: My sister almost lost her cocker spaniel who ate a piece of chocolate and went into convulsions. On the other hand, our golden retriever ate a bowl full of hersheys kisses, foil and all, and had no side effects other than glittery poop for the next couple days.

05-25-2006, 05:49 AM
....no side effects other than glittery poop for the next couple days.

That's just funny. I can only imagine what your yard looked like the next week :uglyhamme

05-25-2006, 10:42 AM
Holy crap. I just put down some mulch on Sunday and my dog was sniffing around in it. It was not Cocoa mulch, but now I am going to have to look at the bags to see if it contains any Theobromide or whatever

05-25-2006, 10:58 AM
The "bark" is worse than the bite...

05-25-2006, 11:03 AM
The "bark" is worse than the bite...

:rolleyes: Sheeesh :rolleyes: ............... :)

05-25-2006, 11:26 AM
Very good info! Thank You!

05-25-2006, 11:38 AM
We have Nestle's here in town and they sell (or used to sell) the cocoa bean hulls for mulch. We always had that stuff around our bushes growing up. I have never heard of this before. Great info. Thank you. I am curious now to know if Nestle's still sell this form of mulch.

05-25-2006, 02:03 PM
Looks to me that if you have a stray dog problem in your neighborhood, all one has to do is do some landscaping with some Cocoa Mulch!