PDA

View Full Version : just bought a wake-surfboard (or skurfboard)

blackbeauty02
05-24-2006, 03:33 AM
...whatever the hell you wanna call it. It's a Hyper-Lite Broadcast. It measures 5'6". I was wondering if this was a good buy or if I should take it back for a different one. I've done it several times before. I want to be able to do tricks on it eventually. It's in b/w on the length. There was one shorter that was more versatile but the guy says he has a tough time on it and he does it all the time. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

dapicatti
05-24-2006, 11:02 AM
We just bought one as well....we got a CWC ride from Wileys in Seattle. When we were there, they explained to us that we needed a bigger one because of our skill level....which is minimal at this point...and they had some of these that had a blemish on them- under the footpad apparently because no one could find the blemish at the shop, so they sold it much cheaper. Personally I think the smaller ones turn better, etc. but of course I am sure that is for those who have been doing this longer than we have. :D

blackbeauty02
05-24-2006, 11:15 AM
yea they had some really long ones but i've done it before so i went ahead and bought the shorter one. i can't wait til this weekend to try it out.

jpattigr
05-24-2006, 11:36 AM
We own the same 5'6" HL board and surf behind a 197 with it, the board works great for everyone.
Have fun!!

jpattigr
05-24-2006, 11:37 AM
BTW In a 197 you need lots of ballast to surf!!

atlfootr
05-24-2006, 12:05 PM
BTW In a 197 you need lots of ballast to surf!!What's wrong w/ using a regular surfboard :confused:

Liquidfire
05-24-2006, 12:16 PM
I surf the same board behind an '85 S&S.

Cary K.
05-24-2006, 12:36 PM
That is very similar to the older model Landlock boards. They are very fun, and you can still progress. I can still do a fair amount of tricks in its stock configuration, but as you advance your skill level, you may want to play around with different fin configs. (2) Hyperlite 1.1" wakeboard fins on the outer fin holes really loosens this board up and makes it spin easier, but you lose some of the power of being able to pump back into the pocket.

88 PS190
05-24-2006, 01:27 PM
regular surf boards tend towards the long and narrow, you can ride them but it'd be kind of pointless and more difficult since the wakes tend to shape up differently than waves.

dsoby
05-24-2006, 01:39 PM
jpattygr,
What weight and where do you put it to surf. I'm having an extremely hard time finding the right ballast to allow me to let go of the rope behind a 197.

blackbeauty02
05-24-2006, 03:07 PM
yea i'm gonna throw new fins on it in a month or two. I've got two 500 lbs. fat sacs so we're gonna play with it until we get the perfect wake to surf with. can you do a 180 and sit there with the fins backwards? or do you have to do a complet 360. what other tricks can you do? I've only seen 360 and 180.

Cary K.
05-24-2006, 04:14 PM
...can you do a 180 and sit there with the fins backwards? or do you have to do a complet 360. what other tricks can you do? I've only seen 360 and 180.

I ride the smaller Broadcast and I have the stock fins on it now, because of the size of the board vs. my weight (+/-250)

180's are more difficult to me than 360's, but can be done. I get up riding the board backwards and opposite footed (switchstance), get into the pocket and try to maintain while riding. Spin the 180, then you are riding regular again.

As far as other tricks: I am very close on shuv-its, very small airs off the lip, tweaked slides on top of the wake & then dropping back in, platform starts w/o a rope, platform dismounts, riding switch, riding both sides of the boat reg & switch, and riding with the board backwards. Two boat surfing is fun, and if you have a really good wake or have two boats, paddle starts are fun.

I don't surf much, only if the water is beat up or late at night, so I try to make it as fun as possible and just try new things. I am by no means a pro at this, but if you have any other questions, post them up, I'll be happy to help all I can.