PDA

View Full Version : Tranny problem on new boat

HarleyMaster
05-23-2006, 11:41 PM
After a nice break in period I changed the oil and noticed a little red oil mixed with a little water in the bottom of the engine base by the plug. I checked the tranny level and it was ok. After three sets of skiing, I heard a sound and then checked the tranny level again. Almost dry! At this point I called my cousin with an X9 for a tow. All I need. Well, I spoke to a service manager on Friday, but it was a long weekend here in Canada so I couldn't do anything until Tues. He told me to fill the tranny and keep an eye on it all weekend. Took it to service centre today to have a look at and fix ASAP. I would like some comments if any one has had this happen. The new boat only has 11.8 hours. Not really a good start!

88 PS190
05-24-2006, 12:47 AM
Do you see where the fluid went? Look for cracked lines or any other visable leaks.

Then take a pocket mirror and see if there is a knock out plug on the base of the bell housing. If so pull the plug out and see if there is alot of fluid.

The main front seals sometimes go out, if so there should be alot of fluid in there.

I've never heard of it happening which implies you have a fluke occurance and luckily its under warranty and not during the mid summer peak.

Good luck!

JimN
05-24-2006, 01:16 AM
Look at the output shaft seal for dripping. There was a problem in the past where the seal had been painted, along with the rest of the motor/transmission and the paint kept the seal from being flexible, which made it leak.

HarleyMaster
05-24-2006, 02:01 PM
Thanks so much the new boat is now in the hands back at the dealer. I have been told with any tranny issues they 90% just install a new tranny instead of replacing parts?
I will keep you posted
Thanks again

HarleyMaster
05-24-2006, 02:03 PM
This is where I think it is coming from! Also having water in the base of the enigne as well? The new X7 is back at the dealer now so waiting to hear somthing tomorrow!
Thanks again

88 PS190
05-24-2006, 03:09 PM
Water is easy to explain... its a boat.

Skiers get in after being wet, and not dripping enough to keep the water out all the time.

They'll let you know, if its the cooler then the water should get in the transmission, I can't see any way for the water and fluid to be coming from the same source.

zberger
05-24-2006, 03:33 PM
with 11.8 hours..

I'd be expecting a new tranny, not new parts IMO.