PDA

View Full Version : Smoke Problem?

FHMan1905
05-23-2006, 09:29 PM
I have an 82 S&S with a 351 windsor, had the boat serviced and tuned up at Mastercraft in Nashville, Tn. Took it out the other night for the first time runs great, but still smokes a little bit. Only at idle does it smoke some blue and some black smoke after running it....not a lot of smoke at all but just curious as to what could be causing the black smoke, the blue smoke clears out rather quickly. Was wondering if the spark arrestor/air filter could be cutting down on the air flow making it run slightly rich....Need Help!!!

88 PS190
05-23-2006, 10:29 PM
could be rich, or it could be a combination of stabil in the fuel and fogging oil.

a good fresh tank of fuel might just make the difference.

Leroy
05-23-2006, 11:49 PM
The rule I always heard is blue is oil and black is too much gas. Feel like you are using a lot of gas?

JimN
05-24-2006, 12:19 AM
If the dealer serviced it, they should have made sure the flame arrestor was clean. I would check the fuel quality and then check the compression and make sure you have spark on all cylinders. If you have one really bad cylinder, you may have gas getting in but it won't burn well with no compression (or, obviously with no spark), which could give you black smoke.

If you have blue smoke mainly on startup, it could be valve seals.

FHMan1905
05-24-2006, 12:44 AM
the dealer did a complete tune up, changed the oil, tuned to carb. the boat runs better than ever...and there is hardly enough smoke to even see....just barely caught my eye because it was at sunset when i saw it. The arrestor wasn't on there when i took it to the dealer, and the gas is from last year.

ted shred
05-24-2006, 12:50 AM
As Jimn says a puff of blue smoke usually means leaking valve seals and or valve guides.Wait and see what it does after a few more runs. I have an 83 and it does tend to smoke a little after its winter nap. Some times after you put a few hrs on a motor that has been unused for a while, the seals will swell from being lubricated again and the puffs of blue smoke will go away. The black smoke could be from a rich mixture if they adjusted the carb, or it could be just the quality of the fuel.

83 S&S Powerslot

FHMan1905
05-27-2006, 01:43 PM
I will be using the boat alot this weekend for memorial day weekend....the fuel that is in it has been in there since about july of last year so i am hoping that is it....it only had about a quarter of a tank so i filled it up with premium and hoping it clears out after this weekend....would the spark arrestor being dirty or old cut down on the air to make it run a little rich...like i said the smoke is barely noticable so i am hoping it will clear out

JimN
05-27-2006, 01:50 PM
Clamp your hand over your mouth and run a marathon. :D

If you have the aluminum type with the screen going around it as the element, go ahead and use carb cleaner on it. If you have a parts washer, do that if the fluid is fairly clean. Use an air gun to blow it out from the inside (not too much pressure) and you should be OK. You won't gain anything by changing to a K&N.

If you look around here for threads about driveability issues, you'll see me harping on keeping the flame arrestor clean. After working on hundreds of boats, it's probably the most neglected thing I have seen.