PDA

View Full Version : NO MORE Overton's Orange Turn Buoys

BuoyChaser
05-23-2006, 05:17 PM
just had some buddies order up some orange turn buoys from Overton's and they were RED...i tried to order and do the same, come to find out their discontinued at least for the season...

Overton's were the only ones with a reinforced stem that wouldn't puncture so easy...that's the weakest link of the buoy IMO...especially with my 50' depths for my accusink course...also their needle stems seem to be the most durable...i still have some Overton's balls that are six years old that are still good, just a little faded...can't say the same for any other companies and I've tried them all: Bart's, Ski Limited & PolyForm

so what are we going to do???anyone know of someone at Overton's???gotta get this changed, killin me...

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=19177&fcat=

looks like i'm going to have to break out the orange spray paint...can get local lobster buoy paint that adheres to rubber, not sure how that would work...

Ric
05-23-2006, 05:20 PM
Ramon would just swim out on a glassy day and repaint ours with a bug bomb! :eek:

this way he got whatever color he wanted :cool:

LakePirate
05-23-2006, 05:33 PM
You can't get orange from Ski Limited either.

I don't remember seeing Turn Buoy Red as an MC Color....

BuoyChaser
05-23-2006, 05:39 PM
You can't get orange from Ski Limited either.

I don't remember seeing Turn Buoy Red as an MC Color....
that's why they came out with protour red instead!?! :wavey:

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-23-2006, 06:31 PM
Lemme ask a dumb question. why are orange ones so desireable?? are they that much easier to see while skiing? :confused: I am curious..... I always thought yellow would be good, they wouldnt fade as bad, and they are visible.... :confused:

88 PS190
05-23-2006, 07:05 PM
Bleach and repaint! doesn't matter what color they start out once you spray paint them.

TMCNo1
05-23-2006, 07:26 PM
Lemme ask a dumb question. why are orange ones so desireable?? are they that much easier to see while skiing? :confused: I am curious..... I always thought yellow would be good, they wouldnt fade as bad, and they are visible.... :confused:

I would think, that orange balls would be more desirable than the blue balls! HA!

Yellow are the boat guides!

05-23-2006, 08:12 PM
I would think, that orange balls would be more desirable than the blue balls! HA!

Yellow are the boat guides!
Figures you were gonna throw that at me! :toast:

OK, I realize yellow bouys are the boat guides, but does it really matter if the bouys are the same color? I mean the boat bouys are different shape. and the ski bouys are far enough away to distinguish them apart..... :confused:

6ballsisall
05-23-2006, 08:14 PM
Figures you were gonna throw that at me! :toast:

OK, I realize yellow bouys are the boat guides, but does it really matter if the bouys are the same color? I mean the boat bouys are different shape. and the ski bouys are far enough away to distinguish them apart..... :confused:

Not always are they different shapes. Our course they are all round balls including the pregates and boat guides. I don't mind Red turn balls but do like Orange better. Probably just a preference thang really

BuoyChaser
05-23-2006, 11:05 PM
Not always are they different shapes. Our course they are all round balls including the pregates and boat guides. I don't mind Red turn balls but do like Orange better. Probably just a preference thang really
IMO orange can be seen better in sunny conditions, the red for whatever reason tend to blend into the water especially with some surface chop and sunshine...not sure on the scientific explanation of the best wavelength of light, but think about most polarized binoculars and sunglasses use blue or red tint, maybe that has something to do with it...

what spraypaint has everyone found works best???

Leroy
05-24-2006, 12:05 AM
If inflatable buoys are in such short supply, why not use styrofoam of about that size with eye bolt screwed in bottom and painted?Where are the course makers getting them from or order from the course makers?

88 PS190
05-24-2006, 12:11 AM
no short supply, they're just complaining about the fact that they stopped making orange and make them in red.

i've never thought of experimenting, just cheap paints.

Ric
05-24-2006, 01:14 AM
If inflatable buoys are in such short supply, why not use styrofoam of about that size with eye bolt screwed in bottom and painted?Where are the course makers getting them from or order from the course makers?
let's just say that you wouldn't want Ric skiing your course if the buoys were styrofoam!!!!
I hit 3 of them tonite and I flat out ran over #1 once tonight whilst skiing into the sun :eek:

88 PS190
05-24-2006, 01:28 AM
Eh, even the styrofoam have advantages, you can patch the styrofoam and repaint, no problems.

rodltg2
05-24-2006, 02:41 AM
styrofoam, common give me break....we'd have a crap laod of stryfoam pieces floatin around our lake,,, wont the red ones fade and turn orange after a day or two in the sun...

05-24-2006, 08:45 AM
the styro breaks down after a while and just disintigrates.

ya know, I saw a commercial today for Krylon "Fusion" paint, its supposed to be specifically for painting plastic. Its made to bond with the plastic so the paint actually sticks to it(what a concept). maybe that would solve the orange problem. :twocents:

LakePirate
05-24-2006, 08:51 AM
You can't spray paint them. Any change in their diameter will result in the paint coming off.

BuoyChaser
05-24-2006, 09:11 AM
You can't spray paint them. Any change in their diameter will result in the paint coming off.
the change in diameter is huge, especially on the Accusink because it raises from the depths as well as our changing water temps...30 deg to 70deg really changes the size...

05-24-2006, 09:13 AM
Ahh, interesting....... :confused: never thought of that.....

88 PS190
05-24-2006, 11:58 AM
True but the paint down' tcome off in sheets if its a thin coating, so it retains some color for awhile. Think about spray paintint a balloon infladed, then draining some air (same as going colder) then reinflate it, there will still be some paint on it, enough to retain the majority of the color esp. if you use paint designed for marking things ie. property lines. That stuff should stick around.

rodltg2
05-24-2006, 12:07 PM
just dont worry about it and ski the course...

TMCNo1
05-24-2006, 12:11 PM
IMO orange can be seen better in sunny conditions, the red for whatever reason tend to blend into the water especially with some surface chop and sunshine...not sure on the scientific explanation of the best wavelength of light, but think about most polarized binoculars and sunglasses use blue or red tint, maybe that has something to do with it...

what spraypaint has everyone found works best???

Try the new Krylon Fusion for plastics to paint balls with, they say it will stick to about anything, just don't forget to shave.

05-24-2006, 01:09 PM
Try the new Krylon Fusion for plastics to paint balls with, they say it will stick to about anything, just don't forget to shave.
Way to go No1, glad to see your on top of the thread ;) :uglyhamme

TonyB
05-25-2006, 01:08 PM
just had some buddies order up some orange turn buoys from Overton's and they were RED...i tried to order and do the same, come to find out their discontinued at least for the season...

Overton's were the only ones with a reinforced stem that wouldn't puncture so easy...that's the weakest link of the buoy IMO...especially with my 50' depths for my accusink course...also their needle stems seem to be the most durable...i still have some Overton's balls that are six years old that are still good, just a little faded...can't say the same for any other companies and I've tried them all: Bart's, Ski Limited & PolyForm

so what are we going to do???anyone know of someone at Overton's???gotta get this changed, killin me...

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=19177&fcat=

looks like i'm going to have to break out the orange spray paint...can get local lobster buoy paint that adheres to rubber, not sure how that would work...
We (Space Capital Waterskiers) have switched to the Polyform ball from Skier to Skier (http://www.skiertoskier.com/supplies.htm). They seemed durable enough and lose a bit of the red soon enough when left in the sun.

ajgressette
05-25-2006, 01:12 PM
For what its worth………Ive seen some orange buoys, the same size, used to mark commercial crab traps on the coast.

Ric
05-25-2006, 01:46 PM
I think our pro knew this and painted them anyway so anybody with little orange sprinkles on their boots and legs knew that they were smacking the bouys :cool:

BuoyChaser
06-02-2006, 04:51 PM
couldn't find any Krylon Fusion in turn-buoy orange...

LakePirate
06-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Was out on our course this past weekend and had a new orange buoy next to a new red one. You can see the orange a whole lot better than the red.

BuoyChaser
06-05-2006, 04:19 PM
Was out on our course this past weekend and had a new orange buoy next to a new red one. You can see the orange a whole lot better than the red.
the ground marking orange paint from rust-oleum worked awesome...applied it to top of buoys and dried in like 15minutes...got me thinking i could rig up a foam float and paint my buoys on the water...certainly bright orange and easy to see when overcast...let you know how the orange looks with sun glare...the red is awful for sun glare...

LakePirate
06-05-2006, 04:27 PM
You could cut a slit in the side and not even have to unattach the buoy.

You could make 6 of them and have one dry while you worked on the next one and so on.

BuoyChaser
06-05-2006, 04:39 PM
You could cut a slit in the side and not even have to unattach the buoy.

You could make 6 of them and have one dry while you worked on the next one and so on.
not sure i understand "cut a slit in the side"...

my buoys are easy to unattach at the present, so could detach them then do the work in progress as you suggested...

problem is that my 5yr+ slalom buoys that were always stored inside and used for my EZ-Slalom valves are bad after that long...so as soon as I insert the needle they trickle out air, not good for the Accusink...

found the official size is 20cm for the buoy and 10cm out of the water...made up a cool wood jig that i found googling...worked great http://awsasouthcentral.org/buoy_settings.htm

Ric
06-05-2006, 04:52 PM
wipe that smirk off your face Chaser!

BuoyChaser
06-05-2006, 04:55 PM
wipe that smirk off your face Chaser!
that's not me, some member of southcentral...

Ric
06-05-2006, 04:58 PM
kidding

but it did make me think that if we have gages for bouy size and depth and yet let the good doctor get away with moving buoys for who knows how long, then we need some house-cleaning...

LakePirate
06-05-2006, 05:00 PM
What I meant was take your Styrofoam square and whittle out a crater in the middle to hold the buoy. on one of the sides cut a slit wide enough you can slide the cable/string/rope that you use to fasten the buoys to and just lift them up a bit and slide them in. That way they are above the water on the Styrofoam and you just haven't had to work very hard

BuoyChaser
06-05-2006, 05:05 PM
What I meant was take your Styrofoam square and whittle out a crater in the middle to hold the buoy. on one of the sides cut a slit wide enough you can slide the cable/string/rope that you use to fasten the buoys to and just lift them up a bit and slide them in. That way they are above the water on the Styrofoam and you just haven't had to work very hard
i like your thinking!!!makes perfect sense...no just wonder what the paint overspray will look like in the lake??? :)

LakePirate
06-05-2006, 05:07 PM
If you make them big enough you shouldn't have any over spray into the lake

BuoyChaser
06-05-2006, 05:12 PM
kidding

but it did make me think that if we have gages for bouy size and depth and yet let the good doctor get away with moving buoys for who knows how long, then we need some house-cleaning...
NO DOUBT, pretty funny that the Doc got away with that, still like to check out how he did it...

Ric
06-05-2006, 05:21 PM
hmmmmmm, save the fishes... what a concept!

LakePirate
06-05-2006, 05:22 PM
hmmmmmm, save the fishes... what a concept!

That is so they can bite your arse before you get up out of the water...

rodltg2
06-05-2006, 05:35 PM
that's not me, some member of southcentral...

i'd hope not at 29..