PDA

View Full Version : how to ship it

Britt
05-23-2006, 05:58 PM
Hey everyone. Im in a rut. I have been trying effortlessly to ship a bimini top to a guy who bought my boat over almost 2 months ago. He lives in the Twin cities and Im here in Chicago. I dont have time to make the drive and neither does he. I have tried FedEx and UPS and they said I need to have it frieghted for over $250.00. I have also tried Greyhound and they said the top is too long to put in the under side compartments. This top only weighs a measly 16 lbs packaged. Its just an odd shape thats all. I called Overtons and another marina to see how they ship tops and they said they have a commercial rate which I obviously dont have. Any suggestions on how to ship this thing. I have already taken two days off of work and Im tired of dealing with this situation....

Britt

WTRSK1R
05-23-2006, 06:06 PM
When I originally ordered my top from Overtons it came in a long box similar to a waterski. Other then the length of the box, there was nothing odd about it. If I remember correctly, I had to install a couple of stainless screws to connect a couple of the bimini support arms. You may wish to look at it to see if there is any way to disassemble it. Once the side arms are off, it is pretty manageable.

Good Luck.

Mi.mc
05-23-2006, 06:39 PM
ya i would see if you could break it down at all, or see if he's willing to pay you to drive it. Also, if you had say a 16 year old kid it's a good idea to dump jobs like that on them

jraben8
05-23-2006, 06:46 PM
See if at least the upright supports will unsnap from just inside the fabric. That alone should give you enough to make it a normal shape.

ksdaoski
05-23-2006, 06:58 PM
amtrack has good rates on strange, large items

point1234
05-23-2006, 11:06 PM
I could posibly help you out. I live in Waunakee Wisconsin, 20 minutes north of Madison. Going to the cities for the PWT june 10-11th. I could take it up there for some gas money. that is if you can get it to me in here in wisconsin.

88 PS190
05-23-2006, 11:28 PM
problem w/ that 16 year old idea is the price of gas. If it doesn't origionally fold you could always make it ;-)

Kell
05-23-2006, 11:30 PM
You might try Old Domion Freight (http://www.odfl.com/). Their website has an estimate link.