PDA

View Full Version : Pop up cleats.

captain planet
05-23-2006, 05:30 PM
I'm sure this has been covered here before, but I have a set of pop-up cleats that I have never put on my boat. The main reason is because I am not real comfortable in the idea of putting holes in my boat. :eek: The other factor is, they are a little wider than the current pop-up cleats MC currently uses and I am concerned about the width of the hole necessary to cut to install them about 1"X4". Will the holes weaken the deck? Will installing them guarantee that spider cracks will be in my future? Does anyone have any experience or suggestions?

I figure I have gotten by for 8 years without them so what's the point in installing them now. But then again, I have the darn things why not install them?

My buddy says he will help me install them, all I have to bring is the 12-pack :eek3: :eek3:

ajgressette
05-23-2006, 05:49 PM
I say go for it. I think pop up cleats look really cool on the boat. However, I might refrain from using the chain saw or skill saw. And a 12 pack is one hell of a deal! :toast:

RackAtak
05-23-2006, 05:52 PM
After tying up using my rear interior grab bar and then having the rope wear a hole in my side panel, I installed 4" Accon pull up cleats recently.

Measure then measure again before you drill. I used progressively larger drill bits running in reverse at first and a Dremel tool to enlarge the oblong hole required for my cleats to function properly They came out great. A little nerve wracking none the less! I mounted them above the grab rails on top of the deck. I have pictures at home that I will try to post later.

Mi.mc
05-23-2006, 06:44 PM
I say go for it. I think pop up cleats look really cool on the boat. However, I might refrain from using the chain saw or skill saw. And a 12 pack is one hell of a deal! :toast:

i cant think of 12 places on my boat where i need pop up cleats...

RackAtak
05-23-2006, 09:29 PM
Here are the pictures of the finished install...down.

RackAtak
05-23-2006, 09:31 PM
and up...ready to tie off. http://www.danamarineproducts.com/store.cfm?&catid=484&CFID=73573&CFTOKEN=28456792

88 PS190
05-23-2006, 09:33 PM
i cant think of 12 places on my boat where i need pop up cleats...

Ahhhh youth. 12'er of BEER boy.

captain planet
05-24-2006, 09:48 AM
RackAtak, the ones I have are a little different. They are actually spring loaded. You push a button and they pop-up. When you push them down, they are totally flush. Consequently, they require a little larger hole than the ones you have shown me. (Thanks for the pics, by the way).

If I had that style I would install them tomorrow (much smaller hole), but I'm unsure about the style I have. I will try to get a pic and post it on here tomorrow of the style that I have.

My issue it this. I have heard that on the malibu boats that have that rather large stainless vent at the corners of the deck at the back, that the hole required for those hideous vents creates a weak point in the deck and thus creates spider cracks in the gelcoat. I want to avoid this. Maybe I'll just scrap the idea and wait for my next boat that will undoubtedly have factory installed pop-up cleats.

jkski
05-24-2006, 10:04 AM
One major reason why people get spider cracks in their gel is because they fail to grind the edge of the hole they just drilled. After you drill the hole, take a file, or better yet, a grinding bit, and grind the edge of the hole where the gel meets the glass. Basically think of it as putting a finshed edge on the glass, and what you are really doing is taking away the rough/sharp edges.
If you were to simply drill the hole and put a screw through it, and the screw were to hit the edge of the glass, that is where the spider cracks start.

Hope this makes sense.

RobertT
05-24-2006, 10:39 AM
Don't assume that a new boat will have them.

My boat had front cleats, but not rear.

Why? I have no flippin idea. They should come in a set of 4. On my boat, I do not have the metal armrest, so there is nothing to tie a fender to.

I bought the factory Mastercraft cleats from my dealer, they were within $5.00 a piece of what I could buy the aftermarket ones for, and they have the laser etched "Mastercraft" logo on them.

Well worth it, in my opinion.

I think I know which cleats you are talking about. They are completely recessed.

I don't envy you my brotha, those look like the margin for error is non existent, and that they will take a PERFECT hole to look right.

For the hundred bucks, it might be worth getting a pair of the Mastercraft cleats. Easy install, and looks factory.

Just my opinion.

Truth be told I only use them when docking up to another boat to party. All of the docks that I park at on my lake have their dock set up for comp boats....al you do is grab the single rope when you pull up and loop it over the pylon. Nothing else is needed.

We all have permanent carpeted fenders on our docks. Works great.

RackAtak
05-24-2006, 11:07 AM
I know the pop-up style you are talking about. Mine also needed a rather large cut out and they sit about 3/8" above the hull when finished. Something like this...

Mi.mc
05-24-2006, 06:07 PM
Ahhhh youth. 12'er of BEER boy.

thanks i got that now

jmyers
05-24-2006, 06:36 PM
Rak, I think I will order a couple and have you over for a few beers!! To help install!! I am a little scared drilling on my boat, but without them I have a time keeping fenders adjusted to the right height! :(

jmyers
05-24-2006, 06:39 PM
Don't assume that a new boat will have them.

My boat had front cleats, but not rear.

Why? I have no flippin idea. They should come in a set of 4. On my boat, I do not have the metal armrest, so there is nothing to tie a fender to.

I bought the factory Mastercraft cleats from my dealer, they were within $5.00 a piece of what I could buy the aftermarket ones for, and they have the laser etched "Mastercraft" logo on them.

Well worth it, in my opinion.

I think I know which cleats you are talking about. They are completely recessed.

I don't envy you my brotha, those look like the margin for error is non existent, and that they will take a PERFECT hole to look right.

For the hundred bucks, it might be worth getting a pair of the Mastercraft cleats. Easy install, and looks factory.

Just my opinion.

Truth be told I only use them when docking up to another boat to party. All of the docks that I park at on my lake have their dock set up for comp boats....al you do is grab the single rope when you pull up and loop it over the pylon. Nothing else is needed.

We all have permanent carpeted fenders on our docks. Works great.
Robert, where did you get the factory cleats? And how much were they, and do you have a phone number? :confused:

RackAtak
05-24-2006, 10:23 PM

captain planet
05-25-2006, 09:42 AM
I know the pop-up style you are talking about. Mine also needed a rather large cut out and they sit about 3/8" above the hull when finished. Something like this...
Well, I couldn't get my hands on a digital camera last night to take a pic of the pop-up cleats I have, but I looked at them again and to install them would take a much different hole than the one you show here. In fact, after closer evaluation, the hole necessary would really take some precision. I think I am scrapping the idea. I will still get a pic of them here when i can, but I think if pop-ups are in my future I will get the smaller ones like they put on the boats now. I know my buddies will try to talk me back into putting them on the boat.

Thanks for the input about the spider cracks JT.

casx2
05-25-2006, 10:44 AM
Good call to NOT install the pop-up's since Mark and I would be the ones installing them!!! Why waste prime time in the summer when we could be out skiing? Maybe in the off season we can drill holes in YOUR boat.

RobertT
05-25-2006, 10:56 AM
Robert, where did you get the factory cleats? And how much were they, and do you have a phone number? :confused:

Well, I looked first in West Marine and found these that match the Mastercraft cleats perfectly

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/81117/0/0/pop%20up%20cleats/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0

Then, I called the dealer, who had them in stock and sold them to me for less than West Marine would have, but they are the official Mastercraft cleat with the laser etched Mastercraft logo on the top.

My dealer is Dri-Port Marine in Lake St. Louis, but I cannot fathom how your dealer would not have them in stock and at a fair price.

My dealer even delivered them to my dock for me :)

Beat that!

captain planet
05-25-2006, 02:10 PM
Good call to NOT install the pop-up's since Mark and I would be the ones installing them!!! Why waste prime time in the summer when we could be out skiing? Maybe in the off season we can drill holes in YOUR boat.
I knew if I mentioned my "buddies" enough times I would get them to chime in about something. Welcome to the board casx2. Don't be a stranger.