PDA

View Full Version : A few questions...

blackbeauty02
05-23-2006, 10:18 AM
...I took off my transmission cooler and ordered a new one. Should come in tonight. Gonna take off the fittings and put them on the new one and throw it in. How do I drain the transmission fluid? Is there a drain somewhere at the bottom of the transmission? Also, do I check the fluid level while it's running in neutral or off? And lastly what tranny fluid do I put in there...Mercron or dextron or something. Thanks again guys.

Ric
05-23-2006, 10:23 AM
you pretty much have to pump out the old fluid, (unless you want to remove the motor mounts)
use one of those dockside oil change pumps or something like that.

LakePirate
05-23-2006, 10:25 AM
Dexron 3 is the fluid

If you check the manual it will tell you how much.

bigmac
05-23-2006, 10:52 AM
...I took off my transmission cooler and ordered a new one. Should come in tonight. Gonna take off the fittings and put them on the new one and throw it in. How do I drain the transmission fluid? Is there a drain somewhere at the bottom of the transmission? Also, do I check the fluid level while it's running in neutral or off? And lastly what tranny fluid do I put in there...Mercron or dextron or something. Thanks again guys.Does one need to drain the tranny to replace the tranny cooler? Mine appears to be higher than the level of the transmission - I would guess that taking it off the hoses/fittings wouldn't let any fluid out.

Otherwise, the fluid needs to be pumped out into a reservoir. There must be 50 devices of one kind or another to accomplish that, like this. (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=21664&fcat=2Y4) .

88 PS190
05-23-2006, 12:29 PM
Just use a pan to make sure you don't make a mess of your boat, I removed the lines from mine and there was essentially no fluid sitting in it, but the boat had been sitting and so it had time to run down.

Anything from a turkey baster w/ a section of pvc tube to a full out electric transfer pump is suitable to remove your fluid from the tranny.