PDA

View Full Version : Raw Water Pump Leak...Help

boarder949
05-23-2006, 01:14 AM
I have a drip coming from the raw water pump and it appears to becoming from the bearing on the shaft...Is that possible - does water circulate around the bearing??? Any help is much appreciated Thanks

crank
05-23-2006, 06:32 AM
Sorry to hear that boarder949,

Looks like you will be changing the pump.
Regards

bigmac
05-23-2006, 08:34 AM
Sounds like it might be the rear seal...

SkiDim (http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=68-5004) sells them for about $18.

IIUC, if the pump gets canted a little, say, from forcing an impeller in or out, the rear seal can get crushed a little and start leaking. Or, a little bit of wobble could wear them out too.

boarder949
05-23-2006, 07:03 PM
It does seem to be the rear seal that is gone on the raw water pump... do u have any experience in replacing it...I don't have any means to pressing out bearings if need be - should I just replace the whole pump?? thanks alot

Thrall
05-23-2006, 09:10 PM
I haven't replaced mine yet, but it does drip a little. $18 from Ski dim. After taking out the impeller, pry out the old seal, just like any wheel bearing seal and then replace. Lube it up a bit, I'd say, get it lined up and tap in w/ a large socket or something that fits over the pump shaft and bears directly on the seal.
Correction, you probably have to take off the pump and do it from the back. (see I haven't done mine yet!)

The guy at Ski dim said my boat 400ish hrs the pump bearings s/b fine.
If you have ton of hrs, bearings may be shot causing the seal to go.
No you won't have to take out the bearings.

Footin
05-23-2006, 09:11 PM
I did mine from the front, I did not remove the pump.

It was about a 1/2 hour job total.

Thrall
05-24-2006, 10:23 AM
Thanks for tha advice Footin. 1 beer job! May just replace the seal tonight now.

pkskier
05-24-2006, 12:08 PM
I have replaced the rear seal in my pump and it is not a hard job at all. Like us mentioned earlier tap it in with a socket, should work just fine. After I replaced mine it began to leak again a couple weeks later, talked to the local dealer and they say the bearings could be gone. Pulled the pump off the boat, removed the impeller and seal and the shaft had tons of play in it which totaled the new rear seal. Replaced pump with a new one and have had no problems.

boarder949
05-24-2006, 12:24 PM
New to this site but it is great thanks everyone for the input....I'm just going to replace the whole pump - from what I have learned it could be just the seal or there could be a problem with the pump causing the seal to go so I hate to replace the seal and impeller just to find out I need a new pump which comes with a new impeller anyhow - plus boat has lots of hours so it probably wouldn't hurt Thanks again to all that responded