PDA

View Full Version : ouch! i just did that math

rodltg2
05-23-2006, 12:27 AM
taking the anticipated amount of hours i will put on the boat and multiplying by the average gph, it look like i will be spending just over $3000 on gas on the boat this summer. plus my tow vehcile which gets under 10mpg.. i may need to buy stock in chevron.

erkoehler
05-23-2006, 12:29 AM
If you buy a new MC from me, I'll get you a $500 gas card :D

6ballsisall
05-23-2006, 12:31 AM
Erk, clean out your PM box dude!

SKI*MC
yeah 20 bucks already, and it got us to half a tank!

I just thought of this. Have you ever wondered how many billions of dollars the oil Companies make when you go 1 cent over. Your not getting a measureable amount of fuel for that amount. And i'll bet it adds up pretty quickly for the B@$T^&)$, i mean oil companies...

JimN
erkl- you do know Rod is out of your territory, right?

erkoehler
05-23-2006, 12:33 AM

Yeah, I'm just messin with the BU owner....I wouldn't want that on the lot as a trade :uglyhamme

rodltg2
05-23-2006, 12:39 AM
like i would trade it in..

shepherd
05-23-2006, 12:51 AM
taking the anticipated amount of hours i will put on the boat and multiplying by the average gph, it look like i will be spending just over $3000 on gas on the boat this summer. plus my tow vehcile which gets under 10mpg.. i may need to buy stock in chevron.

Well, it's probably cheaper than greens fees and cart rentals if you played golf instead of skiied (and if you do both, well, I'm sorry dude!).

Farmer Ted
05-23-2006, 12:53 AM

Territory?

Erlk don't need no stinkin' territory

http://dumbdotcom.com/images/uploads/badges.jpeg

rodltg2
05-23-2006, 01:25 AM
Well, it's probably cheaper than greens fees and cart rentals if you played golf instead of skiied (and if you do both, well, I'm sorry dude!).

i dont , but im actually thinking about learning.

sand2snow22
05-23-2006, 03:41 AM
Erk, your public profile says you're a student? MC student? Boat selling student? Never ending slalom student?

stumbledog
05-23-2006, 07:05 AM
You need to look into getting a gas tax rebate. You are entitled to a rebate of all gasoline based road use tax's.

shepherd
05-23-2006, 09:24 AM

Well, my wife says golf is for "wussie men" who are too fat and lazy to take up a "real" sport. She said it, not me :rolleyes:
I thought about learning too, even went to the driving range a few times, but I think I'll just wait until I'm retired or something... :cool:

stevo137
05-23-2006, 09:29 AM
This is also my struggle. I enjoy golf and skiing and there is always a tug of war between the two starting in June.

Leroy
05-23-2006, 09:51 AM
Rod; It's expensive, and if you add all operating expenses for a year, insurance, gas, tags, storage, launch fees maintenance, etc every hour on the boat is probably $200-$300 or more. Which is why $20 for gas is nice, but probably insignificant.....

Davo
05-23-2006, 10:08 AM

You ain't lying. I used to play a lot of golf before we bought our boat, but it's hard to do both since they take up a lot of time. Last Saturday I played Bay Hill and that course is so difficult it'll cure the desire to play golf real quick. ;)

I do recommend it, Rod...it's a challenging game both mentally and physically. You might not think so, but four hours on the course can wear you down. It's also a lot of fun with friends...the comradery (sp?) etc.

As far as adding up my potential gas cost for the summer...I think I'll pass! We put 8 hours on the boat this last week. :eek: I was changing the oil and tranny fluid last night and the impeller gets changed tonight...then it needs polished and waxed. Oh, and if I get around to it the platform needs re-finished. :rolleyes:

6ballsisall
05-23-2006, 10:20 AM
I'd say Golf and Skiing are about equal for me. Green fees, beer, cigars, food, a few bets, and then beer afterwards equal up to a day on the water with gas, operating costs etc.....

I do both but Golf in moderation. ;)

stevo137
05-23-2006, 10:31 AM
We figured $2,500-$3,000 per year when you add insurance, registration for boat and trailer, gas, winterization and storage. Not to mention maintenance issues that might arise. Just spent $325 for carb rebuild and fuel sender. Yes, some of you can save some money doing your own but I'm mechanically challenged and do not have the patience for it anyway.
Many people also have boat payments and I am fortunate that we don't. Can't imagine a large payment and all of these costs for 40-50 hours per season and most of those hours do not include skiing.

kdr
05-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Just filled up the boat on sunday after pulling out of the lake. $97 to fill boat and one 5 gallon emergency tank. I've got to get back in the habit of filling up after every time I take the boat out so it's not quite so painful.

I did file for the gas tax rebate: I should have a whopping $30 dollars headed my way anytime now.

jkski
05-23-2006, 11:07 AM
The private lake I joined has a great deal.....
$1500/year for your membership with your own boat. For an additional $1500/year, you can have full utilization of the brand new club boat (unfortunately this year it is a CC 196), with all of the gas, maintenance, insurance, etc. included, and you never have to trailer it to the lake, it just sits there on the lift ready to go. Also, you have unlimited usage and can bring whomever you want with you whenever you want. Now granted, if the boat is in use, you have to wait your turn, but heck, for anyone that does not own a boat, or want a payment, etc..that's a pretty good deal.
I know I spend more than $3k a year on mine... but I'm not good at sharing, and I don't like cleaning-up after someone else makes a mess of the boat.

#47of100TeamMC
05-23-2006, 11:11 AM
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat a$$, you should talk to my neighbor the accountant, He's probably a great golfer HUGE a$$"

It is a tough decision between golf a skiing. On the golf side, you have hott Beer cart chicks... on the skiing side you have hot chicks in bikini's that's 1 for skiing. Golf has electric power cars that hold 2people and 2 sets of clubs. Skiing has a Uniquely shaped Open bow Fiberglass Beauties That hold 12 people or 1250lbs. Plenty of room for Gear and more bikini's (refer to comparission 1). Another mark for Skiing. I could go on... but I think I already know what I'll be doing this memorial day weekend!

Leroy
05-23-2006, 11:18 AM
Stevo; The other side is those 50 hours of run time probably includes >300 hours of fun time when you are just out there relaxing and chilling!

We figured $2,500-$3,000 per year when you add insurance, registration for boat and trailer, gas, winterization and storage. Not to mention maintenance issues that might arise. Just spent $325 for carb rebuild and fuel sender. Yes, some of you can save some money doing your own but I'm mechanically challenged and do not have the patience for it anyway.
Many people also have boat payments and I am fortunate that we don't. Can't imagine a large payment and all of these costs for 40-50 hours per season and most of those hours do not include skiing.

Ric
05-23-2006, 11:30 AM
I know some guys with the big boats that have already parked them....

This gasoline price thing cannot be good for boat and rv sales at all????

rodltg2
05-23-2006, 12:50 PM
so im probably at about 6K a year when you add in insurance , club dues, maintnece, launch fees (although rare i accumalute some) .. all well worth it. it my only real hobby now, gave up flying and scuba for the most part.

DanC
05-23-2006, 01:09 PM
You need to look into getting a gas tax rebate. You are entitled to a rebate of all gasoline based road use tax's.

Not in California

88 PS190
05-23-2006, 01:19 PM
nor in Michigan, atleast as far as I can tell, its basically required you pay it unless its a farm vehicle or non-recreational offroad, ie. excavation equipment.

Ric
05-23-2006, 01:43 PM
so im probably at about 6K a year when you add in insurance , club dues, maintnece, launch fees (although rare i accumalute some) .. all well worth it. it my only real hobby now, gave up flying and scuba for the most part.
a buddy of mine just put in his 20k on a country club membership
I think it's another 5k per year after that (plus green fees)
Our sport is damn cheap! ahahhahahha

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-23-2006, 01:43 PM
Rod, its gonna be a spendy summer at the pumps for boaters. I just got a new credit card with bonuses for gas purchases. I figure I might as well benefit from it seeing I am buying the gas anyway. :) I anticipate my gas bill to be around 2K this year

shepherd
05-23-2006, 02:03 PM

Talk about an expensive sport - I had to basically give up flying as a hobby when we needed all our cash to buy our first house years ago... Then I got into water skiing, though every once in a while I think about renewing my medical - but then I think how much avgas must cost these days :(

I still fly with my father in his homebuilt sometimes, but in the right seat.

rodltg2
05-23-2006, 02:15 PM
yep, flying was way more expensive, especially since i owned a plane.. said goodbye to that money pit and bought my houseboat instead. i can enjoy that with a bunch of friends and not constanalty worry that something is wrong . on the houseboat if it breaks down, oh well we get towed in . on the plane....... well you know.....hope for the best.

Diesel
05-23-2006, 02:19 PM
Never, ever add it all up!! :eek:

stumbledog
05-23-2006, 02:34 PM

State Fuel Tax Refund

State Fuel Tax Refunds to Individuals -
Information & Procedures
Since BoatUS Government Affairs undertook a state-by-state survey of how state marine fuel taxes are managed, we found a handful of states that provide refunds directly to boaters who apply for them. Some 30 states collect this money into a dedicated fund for boating, so, indirectly, it is returned. (Note: the federal highway gasoline tax is returned to boating through the Aquatic Resources Trust Fund.)

The states listed below, will refund state highway/road fuel taxes paid on marine fuel if boaters take the time to fill out forms and send in receipts:

http://www.boatus.com/gov/state_taxrefund.htm

Here is a link with more informatin on what states allow what.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-23-2006, 02:36 PM
Never, ever add it all up!! :eek:
:uglyhamme Hurts too much hey D?

rodltg2
05-23-2006, 02:41 PM
:( i agree, i dont know why i did

Workin' 4 Toys
05-23-2006, 03:27 PM
Oh boy, here we go..........

wakesport
05-23-2006, 03:56 PM

How many hours do you do in a year?

rodltg2
05-23-2006, 04:02 PM
usually between 100-125. this year i plan on taking skiing more serious so im planning about 150-200. the ohter lake i ski at however has a club boat so it may reduce some hours...

JimN
05-23-2006, 05:27 PM
WFT- have you ever been on the receiving end of an azz chewing for talking to prospective customers from a different sales territory, which can and has jeopardized dealership franchises? It's not pretty and I would hate to see someone (erkl) go against the franchise agreement, along with the other effects of that. I'm sure any other MC dealers here will go along with this. Selling parts online is one thing- complete boats is another.

Diesel
05-23-2006, 05:50 PM
WFT- have you ever been on the receiving end of an azz chewing for talking to prospective customers from a different sales territory, which can and has jeopardized dealership franchises? It's not pretty and I would hate to see someone (erkl) go against the franchise agreement, along with the other effects of that. I'm sure any other MC dealers here will go along with this. Selling parts online is one thing- complete boats is another.

I am still trying to understand this archaic business model. What is the purpose of restricting sales territories?

What if the customer initiates the contact?

Jerseydave
05-23-2006, 05:57 PM
If you can take 4-5 friends out on your boat for the day, they will usually chip-in for gas.

@$10-20 each, you could walk away with $50-$100! That should help pay for some (or most) of the gas for the day.

I'm starting to gain some non-boat owning friends, but I don't mind as long as they keep helping with the gas. :banana:

JimN
05-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Diesel- each dealer gets their own "territory", kind of like a courtesy thing. I'm in Milwaukee and if there was a dealer here, the Madison dealer wouldn't advertise here or come to the Milwaukee boat shows. Likewise, the Milwaukee dealer wouldn't run ads or go to the shows in Madison. It actually works pretty well because most dealers know the others near them and would prefer to work together, rather than try to screw each other whenever they get a chance. Most dealers ask where a customer is from on initial contact and it's preferred that a dealer services the boats they sell unless the customer moves away.

I'm sure that if you were a dealer, you wouldn't want competing dealers going after customers in your area. You can say that "it's part of competition" but MC wants their dealers to compete against dealers of other brands of boats, not MC dealers.

If I'm offbase here, MYMC can offer another perspective.

erkoehler
05-23-2006, 10:02 PM
I agree 100% with ^

I was in no way, shape, or form going after a sale in someone elses territory without contacting/setting them up with their local dealer first.

rodltg2
05-24-2006, 01:02 PM
If you can take 4-5 friends out on your boat for the day, they will usually chip-in for gas.

@$10-20 each, you could walk away with $50-$100! That should help pay for some (or most) of the gas for the day.

I'm starting to gain some non-boat owning friends, but I don't mind as long as they keep helping with the gas. :banana:

not an option for me... cant take fiends to the ski lake and if i could i wouldnt want 4-5 friends in the boat..

6ballsisall
05-24-2006, 06:35 PM
Diesel- each dealer gets their own "territory", kind of like a courtesy thing. I'm in Milwaukee and if there was a dealer here, the Madison dealer wouldn't advertise here or come to the Milwaukee boat shows. Likewise, the Milwaukee dealer wouldn't run ads or go to the shows in Madison. It actually works pretty well because most dealers know the others near them and would prefer to work together, rather than try to screw each other whenever they get a chance. Most dealers ask where a customer is from on initial contact and it's preferred that a dealer services the boats they sell unless the customer moves away.

I'm sure that if you were a dealer, you wouldn't want competing dealers going after customers in your area. You can say that "it's part of competition" but MC wants their dealers to compete against dealers of other brands of boats, not MC dealers.

To some degree I can appreciate the territory scenario and from MC"s perspective thats a good thing as it helps with price integrity. I think the frustration the consumer has is two-fold really.

A. If you had a bad experience with the local dealer and the consumer left unsatisfied from that situation you are pigeon holed into buying from them again. Or, buying another brand boat which MC wouldn't like to much. Somehow I think the Customer relations dept. at MC was created to circumvent some of this problem, but thats just my speculation.

B. If you want a boat and don't want to order you are basically stuck buying dealer inventory. What if you want a boat they don't have in stock? Sure you can maybe do a dealer trade but that adds to the cost of the acquisition.

shepherd
05-25-2006, 12:16 AM
yep, flying was way more expensive, especially since i owned a plane.. said goodbye to that money pit and bought my houseboat instead. i can enjoy that with a bunch of friends and not constanalty worry that something is wrong . on the houseboat if it breaks down, oh well we get towed in . on the plane....... well you know.....hope for the best.

Yeah, that's one thing that bothered me about flying - you can't kick back and have a beer while your doing it :toast:

bigmac
05-25-2006, 12:36 AM

What if one's "local" dealer is a BAD dealer?

6ballsisall
05-25-2006, 12:53 AM
What if one's "local" dealer is a BAD dealer?

Exactly! Like in my case.......cough cough Hern Marine! :mad:

Workin' 4 Toys
05-25-2006, 10:18 AM
Sorry Jim, I must have forgot to place the :rolleyes: appropriately.....:( I know ALL about the territories. Having 3 MC dealers in my territory, it works "against" me......Good thing I have several "addresses" to use as my "territory" so I get to deal with who I prefer, not those that chose me....
All kidding aside, I get it.
I got screwed with once, it won't happen again. (at least by the same territory:D )

JimN
05-25-2006, 10:54 AM
jrandol- bad dealerships can and should be reported to MC by the customer. If a customer just refuses to go to a particular dealer and the reasons are justified, MC usually won't have a problem with it and the dealer who sells the boat will benefit from it, after having the situation explained to them. Most dealers don't charge much, if any, more than the cost of moving a specific boat from one dealer to another. In other cases, if a boat package is desired and there's one nearby that is close, the other accessories would just be added. Custom graphics are another issue, obviously.

bigmac- if the dealer is bad enough, call MC and let them know how bad and why you think that. If it's bad enough, MC looks into it. If it's nit-picking and only one person complains about it, they may talk to the dealer about it but isn't really a crisis. If the next closest dealer is 5 hours away, are you willing ot go there for service or will you go to the closer one and constantly complain about it? Better to talk to the "bad" dealer and help them to become a good one. Everyone wins in that case.

Does everyone here fill out and send their CSI survey? If not, MC will never know how good or bad the sale/setup/delivery went and if they don't get this, they can't improve the bad ones and congratulate the good ones. Now, if they would send another survey to MC owners after two years, they could really get an idea of what kind of dealers they have.

ecelis
05-25-2006, 02:18 PM
I ran into the territory problem when my local dealer did not cut it for me and I started looking at another dealer, 150 miles away.
They first did not want to sell me a boat and gave me the contact for the crappy dealer I did not want to deal with.
In the end, they got MC's blessing to sell me a boat because I was 1 day away from buying a Nautique... :eek3:

Jarbon
06-13-2006, 11:17 AM
Guys - just be happy you live in country where the gas (petrol!) isn't REALLY expensive. I filled our X-Star and X5 tow vehicle at the weekend - $350.

Just off now to remortgage my house...

sizzler
06-13-2006, 11:24 AM
are there no LPG stations there????? think theres one in balloch

i had mine converted this winter....a ton of savings and no difference in performance......

Jarbon
06-13-2006, 11:34 AM
We keep it on the dock most of the time and there's no LPG on the waterside. :mad:

sizzler
06-13-2006, 11:38 AM
i was gonna have a week up there this summer...but as i've only a 5 gallon petrol tank i would have to carry too many jerry cans......not an option for me to drag the boat out at balloch every day if i'm staying at ardlui

Jim@BAWS
06-13-2006, 12:27 PM
Please take up golf PLEASE.

Then you can argue over WILSON vs. PING
on some other website. :uglyhamme

Jim@BAWS

sizzler
06-13-2006, 12:38 PM