PDA

View Full Version : Anchor type and size

86PowerSlot190MC
10-08-2004, 07:49 PM
I'm looking into getting an anchor for the river, I'm just wondering what type and size is good for an 86 ProStar 190. Iíve only seen a few people using anchor at the river and they swear by the plow anchor.

Dose the rule 1lb per foot still hold true??

:headbang:

Mag_Red
10-08-2004, 08:16 PM
I'm looking into getting an anchor for the river, I'm just wondering what type and size is good for an 86 ProStar 190. Iíve only seen a few people using anchor at the river and they swear by the plow anchor.

Dose the rule 1lb per foot still hold true??

:headbang:Depends on the type of anchor. I have a danford <sp?> but it took up too much room. Finally bought a vinyl coated mushroom anchor and it's been great for temporary mooring. :wavey:

stevo137
10-08-2004, 08:26 PM
Whatever you do, never leave it unattended while anchored and use a double rope or chain for tying to the anchor. The knots on a rope wear out over time and can break free when not expected.

Mag_Red
10-08-2004, 09:29 PM
Whatever you do, never leave it unattended while anchored and use a double rope or chain for tying to the anchor. The knots on a rope wear out over time and can break free when not expected.And we know that by personal experience Steve???? :purplaugh

Jerseydave
10-09-2004, 07:57 AM
SLIDE ANCHOR makes a folding, collapsible box anchor. Many perf. boaters use these because they take up less space and they say they hold well and don't require a chain.

I'm getting one for my next boat (Maristar)

Their website is www.slideanchor.com

Price $119.95

stevo137
10-09-2004, 09:42 AM
And we know that by personal experience Steve???? :purplaugh

Mag, what would make you think that? :rolleyes:

stevo137
10-09-2004, 09:46 AM
SLIDE ANCHOR makes a folding, collapsible box anchor. Many perf. boaters use these because they take up less space and they say they hold well and don't require a chain.

I'm getting one for my next boat (Maristar)

Their website is www.slideanchor.com

Price $119.95

NJ, that does look like a very good anchor. I would still use double rope.
How about that Slide Anchor swimsuit pic! :D

Jerseydave
10-09-2004, 11:39 PM
Always a good way to promote a product, scantilly clad women :D

east tx skier
10-11-2004, 10:33 AM
I use a 12 pound notched, coated river anchor from walmart. I've left the boat moored overnight with mild current with no problem. The rear of the boat, in this scenario was double lined about 10' to the dock, and the bow was anchored straight out. Those things don't look like they have a lot of hold, but surprisingly, they do.

sfitzgerald351
10-11-2004, 03:43 PM
I guess I'm old school, but if you want to have an anchor hold you need chain.... The type of anchor should be matched to the bottom as certain anchor styles do well in sand, other better in mud, etc... But in the end what makes an anchor hold is having the pull on the anchor be more horizontal than vertical. That's why if the anchor doesn't hold you let out more line: it makes the angle of the line more horizontal. 4' of vinyl coated chain doesn't take up much space but will make ANY anchor far more efficient, by weighting down the line at the anchor and making the angle more horizontal. As fore me I've always used dansforth anchors as I think they work well in a variety of bottoms that I encounter (mostly sand and some mud).

east tx skier
10-11-2004, 04:46 PM
Good point, Scott. I guess I've been doing that all along, but not thinking about it. Good info.