PDA

View Full Version : Monster Tower Install - Pics Inside!

The Governor
05-22-2006, 08:18 PM
Well, I tackled the job last weekend! It wasn't too bad once I decided where to put it. None the less, it was STILL hard putting a drill to my hull. :eek: Pretty straight forward actually. Great, detailed instructions really helped! Now on with the show. :toast:

jimmer2880
05-22-2006, 08:19 PM
Thx for posting pic's - but the last 3 are dead. Can you pls re-post?

thx - jimmer

The Governor
05-22-2006, 08:19 PM
:D :toast:

The Governor
05-22-2006, 08:20 PM
The layout......

The Governor
05-22-2006, 08:21 PM
....and more.... :D

The Governor
05-22-2006, 08:22 PM
:banana: :D

The Governor
05-22-2006, 08:23 PM
The SCARY part! :eek: :eek3:

The Governor
05-22-2006, 08:24 PM
:eek3: :shocked: YIKES!

The Governor
05-22-2006, 08:25 PM
The rear bases are on! :dance:

The Governor
05-22-2006, 08:27 PM
Here we are temporarily mounting the rear legs to determine the final mounting spot for the front legs. :firejump:

The Governor
05-22-2006, 08:28 PM
And on with the fronts! :banana:

The Governor
05-22-2006, 08:32 PM
And here it is the next day.....all tightened up, centered, squared and torqued! :headbang: :banana:

The Governor
05-22-2006, 08:35 PM
I took it out Saturday and Sunday of this past weekend, and let me tell you, that thing is AWESOME!! I also added a 725# Launch Pad ballast bag to the boat, and the combination worked great! I'm fairly new to wakeboarding, but I think this is going to help me along nicely. I caught my highest air EVER on Sunday! :D :banana:

LakePirate
05-22-2006, 08:41 PM
Did the Monster Tower girls deliver it?

The Governor
05-22-2006, 08:59 PM
Did the Monster Tower girls deliver it?

:cool: No, but that would have been nice. :D

beef
05-22-2006, 09:01 PM
Beautiful job. I did the same thing a couple of years ago & have been very happy with the results. Are you planning on folding it down every time or are you having the cover cut?

(Monster tower girls didn't deliver mine :( )

Ramhouse
05-22-2006, 09:14 PM
Gov...
I own a 93..and may i suggest watching the connection of the hull and the deck. Our old boats weren't designed for towers, and the hull and deck are only held together with rivets. Prior to installing my tower i did some glass work on the under side as cheep insurance..If interested ask and i will go into it further.Richard

86Craft
05-22-2006, 09:22 PM
I place a Monster Tower on my 86' a couple of years ago, and once I remember how to shrink pictures to download again, I'll show you. Where you place the front brackets is where i have mine. It is pretty beefy glass wise in that spot for some reason. The back is paper thin and I beef that up. Love mine and get alot of intrest on the water with it. Great Job!

Kell
05-22-2006, 09:34 PM
Gov, nice install. Got a pic of it folded down? Are you getting any wakeboard rack?

ksdaoski
05-22-2006, 10:35 PM
looks great! im going back and forth between monster and just a pole....no drilling is leading me to a pole...

Hoocher
05-22-2006, 11:06 PM
Nice job, I put my monster tower on last year and love it! I finally put a couple of speakers and they rock while boarding. I haven't had a chance to use the lights yet.

The Governor
05-23-2006, 09:33 AM
Thanks for all of the compliments! Yes, I did get wakeboard racks (2). I'll post up some pics of those soon, as well as with it folded down. I keep it folded down when the boat is resting between sessions, so no I'm not cutting the cover. I'm actually working on getting an enclosed canopy for the boat.

And I'll keep an eye out for hull separation. Thanks Ramhouse. If you want, fill me in a little on what you did to beef up the glass.

ksdaoski - I have a Fly High Pole that's about to go on eBay. Let me know if you're interested in it. I won't be needing it anymore.

ksdaoski
05-23-2006, 02:44 PM
ksdaoski - I have a Fly High Pole that's about to go on eBay. Let me know if you're interested in it. I won't be needing it anymore.
shoot me a price, and maybe pics if possible. Would need to be shipped to 53072

thanks!

krra1
05-23-2006, 04:51 PM
Ramhouse, please share what you did with the glass. I installed the same tower on my 1990 Maristar last month. The guys at Monster said I don't have anything to worry about, but you got me thinking. Thanks

The Governor
05-23-2006, 05:17 PM
shoot me a price, and maybe pics if possible. Would need to be shipped to 53072

thanks!

What's your email, and I'll find out when I get home tonight. You can PM me if you want.

Ramhouse
05-23-2006, 07:32 PM
I,m on vacation, but when i get home i,ll post some pics. I added gussetts where the tower connects to the deck. The gussetts are glassed in bonding the deck to the hull, with one bolt on each side of the gussett. You might want to put in two gussetts if your mount has only one bolt. One thing though, i also glassed in a piece of plywood first to make the bolted connection thicker, you need to bondo behind this plate to fill the void of the curved hull, so when you tighten the mounts of the tower there is no void, which might crack the gelcoat. A neopreme pad also on the tower bracket wont,s hurt. Cheap insurance, to save your boat.
Richard

RobertT
05-23-2006, 10:10 PM
I installed a Monster Tower on my first boat, which I only had for about three months before I bought my Mastercraft, but.....

I was worried about it a little, so I wanted to add a few layers of glass. After figuring I would have fiberglass resin all over my boat, I decided to use the bondo method.

I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood about a foot long that fit up into the front mount locations, which I figured would take most of the pull load.

It was pretty flat up there, so I was able to leave the plywood flat in lieu of carving it to a close approximation of the deck bottom.

I drilled holes, and mixed up some bondo with reinforcing fibers (I had a ton of it from pouring concrete behind my house). Kind of ghetto, but the reinforcing fibers couldn't hurt as far as I was thinking.

Anyway, I through bolted the plywood and deck, squeezing the epoxy/bondo mixture into place. Not too tight, just enough to squeeze the bondo into shape. Fender washers on the bottom too.

After it set up, I finished tightening it up.

Bottom line is that I feel that the extra work spreads out the load by a factor of at least eight. Thats a huge deal.

The guys at Monster asked what kind of boat I had, and basically said that anything other than the bayliner quality boats are good to go.

Still,its not that hard and made me feel better.

For what its worth.

Oh.....when you fold the tower down I found that the front mounting eyes cut into my vinyl. Not good. Immediately make some covers with two koozies that you duct tape to reinforce the ends. Slide them over the ends when folded down to keep from screwing something up.

sand2snow22
05-24-2006, 01:29 AM
I took it out Saturday and Sunday of this past weekend, and let me tell you, that thing is AWESOME!! I also added a 725# Launch Pad ballast bag to the boat, and the combination worked great! I'm fairly new to wakeboarding, but I think this is going to help me along nicely. I caught my highest air EVER on Sunday! :D :banana:

Good job on the tower install. Must have been rewarding. Gift that will keep on giving.....

ksdaoski
05-24-2006, 07:55 PM
gov-pm you in regards to the pole-