PDA

View Full Version : How colds the water?

Maristar210
05-22-2006, 03:55 PM
I am going to a lake named Waloon in the Petosky area of the northern lower penninsula of Michigan. Anyone up in this area know the current water temps?

UMP - know anyone?

Thanks in advance :friday: -

Steve

School Skier
05-22-2006, 04:17 PM
We are in the Shawano Wisconsin area and I know it's too cold for my old bones. We put the rest of our dock in this past weekend the water was cold. The best is yet to come! It was in the low thirties over night but a warming trend is on the way.

88 PS190
05-22-2006, 04:24 PM
well i'll be in the area next friday at the earliest. is that soon enough to get you the water temps?

Depends on the size of the lake, i'm hoping that for memorial day ours will be upper fifties or into the sixties, that would make me happy. Low fifties is a bit cold for no wet suits, unless i dock start and refuse to fall.

ridehype4life
05-22-2006, 04:56 PM
This past weekend I was up at Lake Charlevoix with the new boat, which is a ten minute drive from Walloon. The water was COLD :eek: . The boat read 46 degrees, but I'm pretty sure Walloon is shallower and definately smaller than Charlevoix so the temps will be up a bit, but by no means warm.

Maristar210
05-22-2006, 05:27 PM
well i'll be in the area next friday at the earliest. is that soon enough to get you the water temps?

Depends on the size of the lake, I'm hoping that for memorial day ours will be upper fifties or into the sixties, that would make me happy. Low fifties is a bit cold for no wet suits, unless i dock start and refuse to fall.

Going up Friday Morning. Trying to decide if I should drag the 210 some 200 miles only to be limited to "booze cruising". If the water is not 55 I will not be getting wet, even with the shorty. Shorty is what my junk will be at that temp. :eek:

Sounds like the KTM and Suzuki will be getting muddy instead....

Thanks guys....
Steve

88 PS190
05-22-2006, 05:32 PM
aww come on steve, sack up, be a man....

naw, i'm messing w/ you it's going to be a chore to put the lifts in over memorial day in the water, but a fun chore.

AZHAWK
05-22-2006, 07:24 PM
sorry guys... i have to do this. Went boarding this weekend, my MC indicated that the water temp. was 78 -81 degrees in various parts of the lake that I was on here in Arizona. It felt like a heated swimming pool! Looks like the drysuit is going to be stayin' dry for a while. 88ps190, I lived in Iowa City for several years. (Thus: AZ-HAWK) U of I grad. in '96. I remeber those days at Coralville... lots of good times. Season was too short, thats why I'm here now. All year long baby, that is what its all about!!!

Ric
05-22-2006, 07:49 PM
yep the big lake here registered 75degrees a couple of weeks ago and the ski lake is mid 80's now
it's nice

Maristar210
05-22-2006, 08:57 PM
Ahem....

Since Doug is packing to go have beers with Sizzler and MMII guys are all sleeping it off , you guys in the south with your "hoochie mama's" and bath water lake temp's, To this I respectfully say....BITE ME :D

Steve

Cascade
05-23-2006, 06:13 PM
http://www.gobarts.com/watertemp/index2.php

Check this site for water temps in your area. Might help.

Ric
05-23-2006, 06:17 PM
Ahem....

Since Doug is packing to go have beers with Sizzler and MMII guys are all sleeping it off , you guys in the south with your "hoochie mama's" and bath water lake temp's, To this I respectfully say....BITE ME :D

Steve
NOT to pour salt Steve, but I will probably ski tomorrow and with the recent rains, my lake may drop to 82, I dont know :wavey:

Maristar210
05-23-2006, 09:00 PM
Ric,

Enjoy August

;)
Steve

WTRSK1R
05-23-2006, 10:27 PM
Walloon is a beautiful lake. My brother in law rents a house on the lake for a week every summer and I have spent some time on the lake. The lakes here in Wisconsin are just barely 60 degrees, but Walloon is quite a bit North of where I live. Good Luck

AZHAWK
05-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Steve-
Ric and I will enjoy August, September, October, November, December, January.....Do I need to go on?! :toast:
Regards- AZHAWK

LakePirate
05-23-2006, 10:53 PM
Ahem....

Steve

The Heat Index in Statesboro, GA yesterday was 107. 1st day of Summer Semester at Georgia Southern. We only got to a Heat Index of 97 here. Currently at 9:54 it is 76 degrees.

I do love Hoochie mama's. :banana:

Maristar210
05-23-2006, 11:01 PM
Thanks to those who offered something pertaining to the topic I asked. To the rest of you

_______________________<<<< insert offending comment here.

Quit threadjacking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gawd.

Steve

Ric
05-24-2006, 02:20 AM
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aa

its true august water temps may reach 100 at the ski lake because of the shallow sandy bottom... hmmm I may need to make a fin adustment but then I'll have to readjust it for December won't I????? Bummer

88 PS190
05-24-2006, 02:37 AM
I get heat blisters on my hands slaloming in water above around 80. Gloves, tape, glove liners, and a bucket of ice to cool them off are essential or i look like raw steak across my palms within 5 sets.

AZHAWK
05-24-2006, 03:54 AM
Thanks to those who offered something pertaining to the topic I asked. To the rest of you

_______________________<<<< insert offending comment here.

Quit threadjacking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gawd.

Steve

No need to get hostile, Stevie. we're just having fun with you cold water boys!

Remember, the hotter it gets the less the "hoochie mamas" wear! :headbang:

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-24-2006, 09:42 AM
Mari, I dont know anyone in that area, so I dont know what the water temps are.....sorry dude. :o

Maristar210
05-25-2006, 01:22 PM

I'm not hostile. I'm docile.

I was just trying to get an answer because I don't want to trailer the boat 200 miles only to find the water is sub 50 degrees. You understand right HAWK and Ric?

Have a good holiday weekend, warm water or cold.

Steve

Ric
05-25-2006, 01:29 PM

I was just trying to get an answer because I don't want to trailer the boat 200 miles only to find the water is sub 50 degrees. You understand right HAWK and Ric?

Steve
yes, that would suck, I guess.... How cold is sub 50? is that about how cold a glass of icewater gets on an 85degree afternoon in march?

AZHAWK
05-25-2006, 07:05 PM

Steve

Thanks Steve... hey if you need to barrow my dry-suit let me know! I won't need it for a while. :D

You guys have fun this weekend as well. - AZHAWK

88 PS190
05-25-2006, 08:27 PM
All those gosh darned warm water skiers and their drysuits and such. If you can't take the heat stay out of the water!!!

Maristar210
05-25-2006, 09:17 PM
Sounds like the air will be in the upper 70's, the water in the mid 50's, so.... It's on. Were riding the boards. Wake and wakesurf.

Pic's coming next week.

Steve

Mi.mc
05-25-2006, 11:47 PM
I am going to a lake named Waloon in the Petosky area of the northern lower penninsula of Michigan. Anyone up in this area know the current water temps?

UMP - know anyone?

Thanks in advance :friday: -

Steve

im going there tomorrow, usually the water is between 40 and 55 degrees (on elk lake) at this time of year...

ridehype4life
05-26-2006, 12:02 AM
We'll be out on the water on Charlevoix and Walloon; heading up tomorrow morning. High up to the mid 80's on Sunday :woohoo:

Ric
05-26-2006, 01:32 PM
im going there tomorrow, usually the water is between 40 and 55 degrees (on elk lake) at this time of year...
Good God man, that's cold!

AZHAWK
05-26-2006, 05:13 PM
Holy Sh@t! I thought 60 degrees was cold!!! You guys are nuts. I tip my hat to ya that's for sure. How long can you stay in that water before hypo. kicks in?

WTRSK1R
05-27-2006, 10:03 AM
According to an ex Navy friend of mine, 10 minutes at 45 degrees for hypothermia. However, I have skied the first day the lake was open in past years and the lake was already 45 degrees. It does not take too long for the lake to hit the low 50's. We had 62 degrees yesterday morning at Nagawicka Lake in Delafield Wisconsin. Air was fiinally warm enough (65) that I skied without my wetsuit. :banana:

Steve

Tennesseeski
05-27-2006, 10:29 AM

TENNESSEESKI LIKIE "HOOCHIE MAMAS" IN LESS!!! :banana: Southern Belles, UMMMM............ :love:

Tennesseeski
05-27-2006, 10:31 AM
I will find out how warm/cool our lake here is today. The night temps have just gotten into the 60's in the last couple of weeks. Have seen alot of people on smokers out :rant: .........So if they can take it, so can I. I have a new ski to demo anyway!! :steering: