PDA

View Full Version : Another prop thread...

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-22-2006, 11:08 AM
The situation:
1) 2004 MC 205V.
2) Predator (310hp)
3) 13.75 x 19.5 OJ (current). A little slow out of the hole.
4) Wakeboard almost exclusively.
5) ~2,200lbs max ballast capacity + ~700lbs max people.

The local prop place said the ACME #1285 (for spline shaft) 14.5 x. 14.5 was flying off the shelf for wakeboarding applications. I told him there would be sporadic occasions of slalom and asked him estimated top speed drop. His response was that users said about -3mph off top end. Apparently this prop is being very well received for the wakeboarding application.

Questions:
1) Anyone here have experience with this prop?
2) Any other recommendations?
3) Does my '04 have a splined or tapered shaft? (#1285 for splined, #1235 for tapered).
4) Any advice you want to offer?

Thanks,
Paul

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-30-2006, 11:34 AM
Just an FYI...
Eric Johnson at OJ props replied to a thread on another site about props. I gave Eric a call and we chatted. He sent me a couple props to try out and when I figure which one I like best I can just buy it and send back the other (unless I want them both :D ).
Don't quote the #'s, but one is a 13.7 x 17 and the other is the 14 x 14.5. I hope to try 1 of the 2 out tonight.
Anyway, I just wanted to post a follow-up b/c I didn't know customer service like this still existed. Thanks Eric and OJ for wanting to make sure I "am happy with the prop" I choose.
Paul

1boarder
06-23-2006, 09:52 PM
Question for P-hat in Cincy

I have the same hull (X1) and wakeboard with roughly the same amount of weight in the boat. I have the RTP1 with the factory 13.7X17 OJ four blade. I was wondering which prop worked for you and how big of a difference it made coming out of the hole? What did it do to your top end speed. I only wakeboard, but just curious what it would do to WOT (WOT currently is 46-47). One other thing, I appreciate all the pics and info on your ballast install. It made my ballast install very smooth.

east tx skier
06-23-2006, 10:45 PM
Eric has been great about letting people try props. He sent me one to test and let me keep it for months while I waited for an opportunity to really check it out. You're right. It's exceptional when a manufacturer will stand behind a product like that.

P-hat_in_Cincy
06-26-2006, 08:28 AM
All,
After water trials and numerous correspondence with Eric @ OJ, we decided to cup the EDGE. I think it is now 14.25 x 14.5 with .120 cup (OJ part #472). We trialed it a Norris Lake this weekend and this prop is GREAT! The hole shot loaded with ballast and people is outstanding. You are up, out, and at speed in no time.

It'll also yank a slalom skier out of the water like there is no tomorrow (actually had to 'feather' the start). I didn't use my PP Wakeboard Pro when pulling slalom. I just worked the throttle to speed and didn't have to touch it after that. It held it's own. DISCLAIMER: Just a recreational slalom-er, not hardcore.

Running the Predator (engine):
Wakeboard: 3300RPM @ 23mph (stock 19 pitch prop was ~3100RPM).
Slalom: 3800RPM @ 30mph.
"Top end": 4800RPM (rec WOT limit), I was running about 39mph (according to MC spedo).

If you want to go fast, it might not be for you. BUT, if you want hole shot performace and rock steady speed holding, this one was great for us.

1boarder,
Glad the ballast thread helped!

beatle78
08-09-2007, 08:45 AM
Hi Paul,

I see you said you decided to cup the EDGE prop from OJ.

Did you do that so you would have more top end speed?

Thanks,
beatle78

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-09-2007, 11:21 AM
I don't remember the exact reason. Maybe it was to bring the RPMs down just a bit?

It's a great prop for a loaded boat. You'll hit the rev limiter if you try to do a high speed run. That's of no concern b/c the fastest I go is pulling a slalom skier 1 or 2 times per year. You could probably back off the hole shot a bit (from mine) if you wanted to keep some top end?

I don't think I'd be exaggerating if I said I was out of the hole and up to set point within 5-7sec...fully loaded.

Quick funny story. A buddy wanted me to feather my starts a bit more because he likes to do surface tricks while coming up to speed. I tried to accomodate. After he drove he stated "I was trying to feather the start, but with that prop I couldn't!" :D You can...it just takes a little getting used to.

east tx skier
08-09-2007, 11:43 AM
The situation:
1) 2004 MC 205V.
2) Predator (310hp)
3) 13.75 x 19.5 OJ (current). A little slow out of the hole.
4) Wakeboard almost exclusively.
5) ~2,200lbs max ballast capacity + ~700lbs max people.

The local prop place said the ACME #1285 (for spline shaft) 14.5 x. 14.5 was flying off the shelf for wakeboarding applications. I told him there would be sporadic occasions of slalom and asked him estimated top speed drop. His response was that users said about -3mph off top end. Apparently this prop is being very well received for the wakeboarding application.

Questions:
1) Anyone here have experience with this prop?
2) Any other recommendations?
3) Does my '04 have a splined or tapered shaft? (#1285 for splined, #1235 for tapered).
4) Any advice you want to offer?

Thanks,
Paul

Unless you're footing (or trying to impress high school kids), a little off top end shouldn't be something worth losing sleep over. Of course, I also happen to think that if you don't have to lose it, you shouldn't lose it. But that boat should be able to do 36 mph, so skiing should be safe. Just $.02.

/edit. Wow, I'm late with this response. Nice looking wheel you have there.

beatle78
08-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Thanks!

We do 90% wakeboarding and 9% tubing and 1% skiing.

This OJ prop you got there sounds like a winner. I can't believe they cost $500 now... WOW!

Yah we need a new prop in the offseason. I can get through this season, but it's a drag [pun intended]

hehe, sounds like your prop impressed your buddy :)

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Got some goodies from OJ today!

I got a new backup prop from OJ today. It's the one I did not originally choose in this thread (see above). I figure it's a good 'tweener' from the stock prop (former backup) and the aggressive XMP EDGE I've been running. I've got a slalom skier going on our houseboat trip this year and I wanted to get something that suits the best of both worlds. Plus, I'm running some decent weight in the nose so the boat naturally sets down pretty quickly anyway.

I'm going to slap it on and give it a run for the next few weeks to see what I think. I know I'll be losing some hole shot, but the RPMs might come down at boarding speed...maybe saving on some gas consumption? Maybe it'll be an even trade-off?

Again...thanks to Eric @ OJ. He's awesome to deal with. If you ever need anything related to what they do, give him a call or drop an e-mail. You will not be disappointed.

bturner2
05-23-2008, 07:39 AM
I have a 2003 X2 and tried the XMP 14.25 14. Nice prop great hole shot, very smooth. I can see why anyone doing ONLY wakeboarding or surfing would love it. I was hitting the rev limiter at 38 and was running 4200 RPM at 37. The prop pretty much starts running out of gas at about 27-30mph. As much as I liked the hole shot I sent it back for a 13.7 17 XMP. I'm going out today to give it a try. I was able to pick up a new 13.7 19 XMP on Ebay for $210 shipped to use as a spare. With my family using the boat while I'm not there the idea of hitting the rev limter all the time just didn't set well with me. I'm sure running it at high speed can't be good for the engine or gas mileage.

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Since it's not a chainsaw these weren't the best conditions (yesterday) to try a new prop out in. Couldn't even ride because the debris was so heavy. I did find a clean enough patch to give her a decent run and I'm happy with the performance.

Today we did get to try it out and I'm still pleased. Of course it's not as aggressive as the XMP EDGE I was running, but with 5 people and 75% ballast, full throttle was not required to get this on plane and leveled out in a VERY acceptable amount of time. -300RPM on the tach compared to the XMP also.

The real test will come in a couple weeks when we're at Norris and might do some surfing. More then...

P-hat_in_Cincy
06-20-2008, 08:48 AM
Hey all (again),
I went back to my EDGE. Once you get the feeling of the performance that thing gives you, it's hard to run anything else.
The 13.7 prop did fine, but loaded with people and ballast over a long weekend I seemed to burn more gas than with the EDGE. I can only assume it might be due to the 13.7 not getting on top the water as quickly even tho the 13.7 ran about 300RPM lower at wakeboarding speed.
I think the 13.7 prop is good for people doing multiple events, but for my 99% wakeboarding/surfing the EDGE is where it's at for me.