PDA

View Full Version : 1st time skier

richardsoncd
05-22-2006, 10:11 AM
I got my girlfriend up on skis this weekend.....on her first try ever!!! She then was going in and out of the wake. I'll have her on a slalom in no time. Guess I have to keep her now. :banana:

LakePirate
05-22-2006, 10:12 AM
Rock On!

Congrats to your ol' lady.

Cloaked
05-22-2006, 10:24 AM
I got my girlfriend up on skis this weekend.....on her first try ever!!! She then was going in and out of the wake. I'll have her on a slalom in no time. Guess I have to keep her now. :banana:I do not believe you.

Picture please... :uglyhamme

zberger
05-22-2006, 12:05 PM
I am still having problems getting up on 2 ski's.. we'll see what next weekend brings

richardsoncd
05-22-2006, 12:58 PM
I was the only one in the boat!!! But there were witnesses from the dock. She didn't understand why I was so amazed. I had to borrow a pair of skis, guess I'll have to go out and buy some more. The best part was she doesn't want to kneeboard anymore, says she loves skiing now. :firejump:

88 PS190
05-22-2006, 01:40 PM
Zberger what seems to be the issue?

zberger
05-22-2006, 01:55 PM
Zberger what seems to be the issue?

can't get up on 2 ski's.. never done skiied at all in my life. snow or water.

just can't seem to get it all figured out, slowly but surely, this past weekend was teh closest i've ever gotten.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-22-2006, 02:16 PM
can't get up on 2 ski's.. never done skiied at all in my life. snow or water.

just can't seem to get it all figured out, slowly but surely, this past weekend was teh closest i've ever gotten.
Do you have trouble keeping the skis straight? do they spread? or cross? or do you go over forwards? or fall over backwards when you get out of the water? whats the problem? :confused: Please give details....I am sure someone here will have a fix for you. We may be able to give you some tips to help you out. :)

88 PS190
05-22-2006, 02:21 PM
I find that if you force yourself to float in the water a few minutes with the skis on that will greaty improve your in water control of the skis. Practice rolling over on your stomach and front crawling then rolling back and getting in posistion. You want to be in a posistion that the skis do not fight you, they just sit there. And then the pulls can happen.

When you get pulled I like to tell people to resist. IE. the water is going to be pushing the skis towards you (sitting in the water knees bent arms straight) and even though your legs are bent you need to just resist them bending more. Don't push at the skis or you get extended and will end up standing up straight which doesn't work for water or snow skiing.

The only other aspect I key in on is to not "sit" in the water, when the boat pulls you will be in a sitting posistion, but think of it more as a compressed posistion your hips shouldn't be dragging back they should be back but locked into a pushing forwards feel, almost as if you were preparing for a hip thrust. Otherwise the boat pulls your shoulders come forwards your knees bend more and you go out the front and loose the skis.

Where in the midwest are you located, there's probably quite a few of us near you that would love to come get you out of the water.... and then onto slaloms.

sand2snow22
05-22-2006, 02:50 PM
The wife dropped a ski last year for the first time. About 500 yards later while trying to get back into the wake she crashed. After her fall she insisted she could get up on one ski. She popped up on the first try!!! I was shocked, have it on video, you can hear my brother scream WOW.....So proud....MCX, about 1/3 throttle.

zberger
05-22-2006, 03:10 PM
I find that if you force yourself to float in the water a few minutes with the skis on that will greaty improve your in water control of the skis. Practice rolling over on your stomach and front crawling then rolling back and getting in posistion. You want to be in a posistion that the skis do not fight you, they just sit there. And then the pulls can happen.

When you get pulled I like to tell people to resist. IE. the water is going to be pushing the skis towards you (sitting in the water knees bent arms straight) and even though your legs are bent you need to just resist them bending more. Don't push at the skis or you get extended and will end up standing up straight which doesn't work for water or snow skiing.

The only other aspect I key in on is to not "sit" in the water, when the boat pulls you will be in a sitting posistion, but think of it more as a compressed posistion your hips shouldn't be dragging back they should be back but locked into a pushing forwards feel, almost as if you were preparing for a hip thrust. Otherwise the boat pulls your shoulders come forwards your knees bend more and you go out the front and loose the skis.

Where in the midwest are you located, there's probably quite a few of us near you that would love to come get you out of the water.... and then onto slaloms.

Omaha, Nebraska.

88 PS190
05-22-2006, 03:18 PM
count me out... lol.

I'm sure you'll get it soon, then it'll become second nature.

jbfootin
05-22-2006, 03:30 PM
Thread jack!!!

I travel to Omaha on buisness once in a while. Maybe next time I am out there I will have to look you up.

richardsoncd
05-30-2006, 08:13 AM
Well, it's official....my girlfriend is more athletic than me and all my buddies. Last weekend she got up on the first try on skis, this weekend she figured out how to wakeboard on her first "set" of attempts..I think 6 or 7 tries then it was like she had been doing it for years.....so now I have to buy her a board and some skis.... :eek: