PDA

View Full Version : Oops! Forgot the Plug

BrianM
05-22-2006, 10:07 AM
My wife wanted to go out to the river this weekend with her brother and a friend. This was the first time I have taken my boat to public water in almost two years so my routine was completely out of sorts.

Got to the river backed her down and wife backed the boat off of the trailer. I went and parked the trailer and then went down to the water for pickup. So by now the boat has been in the water about 5 minutes. I get in the boat and before I kick my wife out of the drivers seat I get to my normal routine of lifting the engine cover to make sure no water is leaking from anywhere and the bilge is nearly full of water :eek3:. Shut the boat down and fished around in the bildge for the plug stuck it back in and cranked on the pump. 5 mintues later got the water drained out and life is good. Nice day on the river besides the wally of a start. :uglyhamme

starman205
05-22-2006, 10:58 AM
BEEN There, DONE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!! (Twice last year) HAve a new routine now to make sure I don't do it again!!!!!!! ;)

Mag_Red
05-22-2006, 11:02 AM
Happens to everyone at least once. I forgot to remove the transom tie down straps this week-end. Couldn't figure why the boat wouldn't slide off the trailer. :o

jraben8
05-22-2006, 11:10 AM
:uglyhamme

Hoosier Bob
05-22-2006, 11:25 AM
I did it once and after that drilled a hole in the handle put one of those climbing hooks/clips on it and it always hangs on my throttle now. The clip actually helps take it out! If I would forget it now itvwould still be on the trailer! :D

Cloaked
05-22-2006, 11:32 AM
Happens to everyone at least once. I forgot to remove the transom tie down straps this week-end. Couldn't figure why the boat wouldn't slide off the trailer. :oOne of the funniest boat ramp episodes I have ever seen was just this. A man kept pulling forward, backing into the water, slamming his brakes to try and get the boat off the trailer. It would even raise up on the bow (off of the trailer) and slam back down. He was very adamant about this for half of a dozen attempts before his boy told him the problem. This has been years ago and I still laugh about it. I can still envision the older station wagon and the 14 foot run about at the ramp. It was raining and a thunderhead coming in so we had taken out, onto the trailer to allow it to pass, which made this even funnier. The man was dead set on getting into the water even with a viscious looking storm coming...

east tx skier
05-22-2006, 12:10 PM
Did it with my old I/O. Knock wood, haven't done it with the MC yet. Sounds like you got your bilge nice and clean. ;)

BrianM
05-22-2006, 12:12 PM
I have done it a few times. Two that I can rember with the '88 and then my first time yesterday with the '97. Whatta ya gonna do!

ski_king
05-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Did it once first year I had the boat. Was at a different and out of my normal routine.
Problem was I had both bilge and transom plug out. Bilge plug was easy, transom plug is hard to get to from swim platform that was now 6 in under water and I dropped the plug......
Water was coming in faster than bilge pump would take out. I had to pull the boat and go find a new plug. I now carry spare plugs.

I also have a decal on my trailer that I see everytime I disconnect the bow that reads "Is the plug in?"

Ryan
05-22-2006, 01:39 PM
I did it once and after that drilled a hole in the handle put one of those climbing hooks/clips on it and it always hangs on my throttle now. The clip actually helps take it out! If I would forget it now itvwould still be on the trailer! :D

Can you hear it rattle while driving?

86Craft
05-22-2006, 01:47 PM
When we get to the ramp, I get in the boat and the wife backs us down. She pulls away to park, and I get away from the launch so other people can load, lanuch. So at that time I flip open the motor box to check things. At least a couple times a year, water just rolling in. :eek: It has never got high enough to do anything, but it jolts you into action mode.

River Rat
05-22-2006, 02:02 PM
My 14 y/o has the task of loading the boat and putting the plug in, and I ALWAYS (well almost always :o )ask about the plug right before the boat goes in the water. Well Friday I dropped the boat in pushed off the trailer and as I walked up to the wheel I heard this rushing sound, looked in the cup holder and there was my plug. :eek3: While my wife thought we were going down like the Titanic I lifted the cover and put it in. Then started chewing on Devin :rant: Boy if you want a bigger wake this is not the way to get it! :uglyhamme

hacker
05-22-2006, 02:30 PM
I very rarely pull the plug... When I do I take the driver's seat cushion out and screw the plug into one of the holes in the rotocast. Pretty hard to sit down in the seat to start the boat and not notice it.

88 PS190
05-22-2006, 02:38 PM
i guess i always get it in because i obsess about those things, but back years ago we had a bass boat and you could pull the plug (flip lever w/ the rubber tip) by leaning over the back, and so we pulled it so if it rained we wouldn't have issues w/o the tarp on.

anyway, in that boat it was quite the excitement when you got going down lake and water kept coming up by your feet, though it would drain at full throttle.

shepherd
05-22-2006, 02:46 PM
"Why is water coming out of the boat?" That's what my wife asked as I was about to push the boat off the trailer. Not something you want to hear at the ramp :eek: Thank God for automatic bilge pumps. It was a brand new boat, first time out (it was an I/O Stingray).

#47of100TeamMC
05-22-2006, 02:50 PM
All good stories!

Last time out we were waiting for a wally to back his fishing boat off the trailer, 3 guys, one in the boat backing it off, one in the truck, the other standing on the dock watching. Trailer is backing down the tramp as the guy starts the motor :eek3: #1. Then the boat finally reaches water and he throws it into reverse and guns it, trying to rip the boat free of the trailer Only to pull the 2wd ranger pickup into the water getting all 4 rubbers wet :eek3: #2. It still didn't dawn on the guy that his transom tie downs were still connected to the trailer... He yells at the driver of the pickup, "what are you doing? pull it back out, Keep your foot on the brake this time!" so the ranger pulls the boat and trailer back out about 10' and he tries it again... VROOOOM goes the motor FULL THROTTLE into reverse, backwards goes the whole rig again! darn near skidding the tires of the truck down the slippery wet ramp again... This time getting the FRONT bumper a little wet. At this point I start to laugh, and get worried the truck driver is going to drowned soon. So I walk down to the dock and peer at the back of the boat/trailer... sure enough, Tiedowns still attached... :eek3: #3. The boat driver is a little dumbfounded at this point, so I feel it safe to mention, "um, sir, Could your transom tiedowns still be secured?" Immediately a light bulb appears above his head... and he walked back to the back of the boat and reaches his arm around the transom soaking his sweatshirt retrieving 2 newly washed tie down straps. With out uttering a word, calmly reverses the boat and backs her off the trailer. Mr. truck driver pulls the Completely soaked rig out of the water and parks it nice n' proper.
Chuckling as I walk back to my truck saying to myself, "some peoples kids" as I launch my boat and innocently forget the hull plug. I'm brought back to my humble self this time with a slightly audible "some people's Kids!"

But to use word from Doug..." At least the bilge got a cleanin' "

:uglyhamme

Evan Jones
05-22-2006, 02:51 PM
My worst moment was backing the boat off the trailer alone, she wouldn't break loose. I knew I had disconnected the front strap, so I hit reverse a little. Still wouldn't budge, so I hit reverse a little more. Finally.....when the boat buddy pin bent enough......she slid off the trailer.

sfitzgerald351
05-22-2006, 03:23 PM
Get a key chain carabiner (D ring clip). Attach the key chain to the plug and then when you take it out clip the thing to the steering wheel. You tend to notice it hanging there before you drop the boat into the water. It works well for the bilge plug, but probably wouldn't work well for the transom plug.

shepherd
05-22-2006, 03:25 PM
I launched the MC once by myself and tied her up to the dock, left the engine running while I went to park the truck. Luckily for me, my lady friend who was with me knew her way around a boat and shut it down when she heard the overheat alarm go off. She saved the day, because it was a long walk from where I parked the trailer back to the dock. The raw water intake hose popped off and sprayed water all over the inside of the engine compartment. I forgot to tighten the hose clamp after flushing the engine last time I used the boat - I used to pull the raw water hose off upstream of the tran cooler and stick a hose in to flush the engine.

pilot02
05-22-2006, 04:04 PM
LOL!
I've done it myself. Worst case was when my son and I were going skiing at Westpoint Lake here in GA and I launched the boat, parked the truck and then proceeded to drive about 3 miles to our course and my son say's "Dad, there's water on the floor in the back of the boat." Talk about a "Oh S_it moment!" All was ok though. We were cruising pretty good so it was all in the back 1/4 of the hull and didn't get on the starter or anything. TO THIS DAY, he STILL tells the story every chance he gets.....

dwe
05-23-2006, 02:50 AM
I always keep the boat key and plug together in a ziploc bag, so I never have one w/o the other.

Hoosier Bob
05-23-2006, 09:30 AM
No. No rattle. Just loosen and hang on the throttle. Most will see it hanging on the throttle before they are in the water. Never forgotten since knock on wood. Someone could screw me up and take it off the throttle though! :D Can you hear it rattle while driving?

canadianskier
05-23-2006, 12:03 PM
why do you guys pull the plug all the time? I hope this isn`t a dumb question, I just want to know if iam doing something wrong

Workin' 4 Toys
05-23-2006, 12:11 PM
why do you guys pull the plug all the time? I hope this isn`t a dumb question, I just want to know if iam doing something wrong
Just in case........it gets water in it. Mold, mildew, if the cover doesn't stay on the boat could potentially get ALOT of water inside creating issues for trailering and weight, just to sum up a few.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-23-2006, 12:13 PM
Someone could screw me up and take it off the throttle though! :D
I hate when someone pulls the plug on my cooler, if I forget that one, all my saltwater runs out...:mad: ;)

#47of100TeamMC
05-23-2006, 12:24 PM
Just in case........it gets water in it. Mold, mildew, if the cover doesn't stay on the boat could potentially get ALOT of water inside creating issues for trailering and weight, just to sum up a few.

Also, If you have residual water sitting in the bilge, your steering cable runs along the bottom to the rudder... it's not waterproof so if it sits in water periodically (or at all) it can rust and prematurely stiffen up your steering.

canadianskier
05-23-2006, 11:18 PM
ah ok, after every time iam out i allways dry off the boat, lift the cover and wipe the bildge clean with a rag. have never had so much water in there to pull the plug. my friends think iam nuts for wiping the bildge clean, but its my boat so tuff sh...., by the way some pics are coming soon.

SKI*MC
05-23-2006, 11:25 PM
I forgot to last year. Man that thing had a wake. I couldn't figure it out. Then i realized i am a dumba$$!

JKTX21
02-19-2007, 04:54 PM

Also, the guy that owned / neglected my boat before me, kept the boat in the water, and it rotted the oil pan over time. The same thing would happen if you didn't pull the plug.

Speaking of bonehead moves... the last day of the season when I was winterizing the boat, I went out by myself to run fuel stabil, and go cruise while the river was empty and enjoy the boat one last time. I just got it back from the mechanic, I backed it in and tried to back it off the trailer.... numberous times. I forgot about my broken boat buddy that I never use, he had hooked it on the bow last time he took the boat out :(

TX.X-30 fan
02-19-2007, 06:11 PM
I have done it way to many times. Once at lake travis on the lakeway ramp (very steep) wife backs me in and it fill fast. The captain of this giant dinner cruise yacht yells over to me (hey your sure bilgeing a lot of water, you got your plug in buddy). Then I'm waving my arms like a nut and screaming for my wife to back the trailer in. Blocked the ramp for about 5 min to drain her. I think I will just duct tape the thing to my forehead this coming season. True wally moment. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

G-man
02-19-2007, 06:41 PM
I leave it on the floor in front of the pylon. I also lay a piece of 2" pvc pipe down a couple inches long by the pylon so air circulates around.

Fancy
02-20-2007, 03:12 AM
I was so careful to remember the plug in the spring when I got my mastercraft ready for use, but forgot that it had a tendency to vibrate loose after a week or so and needed to be checked often to make sure it was still tight. I woke up one morning to find my boat pulling the dock underwater as it took on water and bobbed just under the surface. A picture is worth a thousand words. Up to my assets (http://fancyfrog.com/fancy/2007/sunkenship1.jpg) I have since drilled a little hole through the plug's handle and secured the plug to the base so it cant vibrate lose anymore. Bailing water out of your sunken boat is an experience you NEVER forget.

jimmer2880
02-20-2007, 07:13 AM
I very rarely pull the plug... When I do I take the driver's seat cushion out and screw the plug into one of the holes in the rotocast. Pretty hard to sit down in the seat to start the boat and not notice it.

That's what I do. Works for me.

jimmer2880
02-20-2007, 07:21 AM
I was so careful to remember the plug in the spring when I got my mastercraft ready for use, but forgot that it had a tendency to vibrate loose after a week or so and needed to be checked often to make sure it was still tight. I woke up one morning to find my boat pulling the dock underwater as it took on water and bobbed just under the surface. A picture is worth a thousand words. Up to my assets (http://fancyfrog.com/fancy/2007/sunkenship1.jpg) I have since drilled a little hole through the plug's handle and secured the plug to the base so it cant vibrate lose anymore. Bailing water out of your sunken boat is an experience you NEVER forget.

What water? All I see is pink :)