PDA

View Full Version : Major problem with my 197

ntidsl
05-22-2006, 08:01 AM
Okay...This is serious...I've been through clogged tranny coolers, holes in my exhaust, etc...but nothing as serious as this!!!

My cooler doesn' have a drain??? I pulled the plug on the bottom of the cooler only to find a carpeted floor!!! Oh god...Anyone know what to do...the cooler did finally drain, it seeped into the carpet and disbursed it throughout the boat!
help!!!!

bigmac
05-22-2006, 08:08 AM
Okay...This is serious...I've been throug clogged tranny coolers, holes in my exhaust, etc...but nothing as serious as this!!!

My cooler doesn' have a drain??? I pulled the plug on the bottom of the cooler only to find a carpeted floor!!! Oh god...Anyone know what to do...the cooler did finally drain, it seeped into the carpet and disbursed it throughout the boat!
help!!!!Heh. I share your horror - my "cooler" is a plastic bin with foam rubber glued to it sitting right over the gas tank, so drilling a hole in it is problematic - I hate to be dripping melted ice all over the tank. Your situation seems to be an even more bizarre engineering choice.

My solution was a nylon hose nipple, some silicone glue and about 3 feet of clear poly tubing with one end in the bilge. About a 10 minute job and $6 at the local Tru-Value.

Leroy
05-22-2006, 08:14 AM
Mine is the same as Bigmac and I'm planning the same solution also.

ntidsl
05-22-2006, 10:01 AM
I had a drain plug and a hole its just that theres a floor underneath...I think someone forgot to cut the hole!

USC8791
05-22-2006, 11:13 AM
Are you talking about the cooler under the walkthru to the open bow? It should drain into the bilge.

ntidsl
05-22-2006, 11:38 AM
thats what I'm talking about...the cooler right between the 2 dashes...no drain hole!!!?!??!? correction theres a hole and a plug that I took out but carpeted floor underneath!

Ric
05-22-2006, 11:44 AM
thats what I'm talking about...the cooler right between the 2 dashes...no drain hole!!!?!??!? correction theres a hole and a plug that I took out but carpeted floor underneath!
nt, somebody forgot to install the drain hose
there is one in my 05
sounds like a warranty issue for sure
I dont know if they will have to take the deck off to fix it or not :eek: but there is a drain hose that goes to the bilge in my boat

ntidsl
05-22-2006, 12:05 PM
mine is an 05 and no hose and hole!!! bummer!!!

I will fish around to see if I can get back therewith a mirror or something but from the limited searching I did sunday night I couldn't find a way to get under there...

Any ideas anyone?

ntidsl
05-22-2006, 12:08 PM
I will just siphon it out if they have to fix it...I don't want anyone messin with my boat...better yet I'll just keep putting ice and beer in it all the time...and just use a cup to get the melted ice out everyonce in a while...

jkski
05-22-2006, 12:17 PM
If you really want to get at it, there is access through the "cut through" hole that your drivers side heater hose is running through, or possibly some stereo wiring. The other place you can get to it, is through the tunnel that sits behind the drivers floorboard that goes back to the bilge.

Have you tried sticking a wire or something down through the drain hole to see if maybe a hole is drilled but no hose is attached, or possibly that a hose is attached, but for some reason not sitting in the bilge? (just a thought for ya).

Ric
05-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Talk to the dealer though about where it should run and maybe even call customer relations at MC
you are working in the blind on a job like this since all that stuff is connected prior to putting the deck and the hull together at the factory

Here is a pic of the 197 "in the bones"
Wish I'd taken more now!

ntidsl
05-22-2006, 04:51 PM
Yes I am very familiar with all of those locations but getting through the floor and into the bilge is the concern...I went to the dealer top look at the x7 they have on display and its the same way...hmmm....you can even see the carpet there...I am gonna try to get a pin or small nail through the carpet to see if there is a hose there and they just layed carpet over everything and forgot to cut the hole...also I could take the plug holder out of the cooler to get more room...there are two screws holding the plug holder into the cooler...I'll keep ya posted...hey jk...didnt jim use the cooler?

Ric
05-22-2006, 04:55 PM
I've never removed my battery. is there access from that battery box?

The x7 at the dealer didn't have a drain hose either?
maybe it is an item that the dealer is supposed to connect (like when he does the battery and waterlines (etc)

ntidsl
05-22-2006, 05:57 PM
no access from the battery...good thought though

Ric
05-22-2006, 06:02 PM
no access from the battery...good thought though
that is so weird that you can see thru to carpet on both of them... mine definitely drains to the bilge yet I've never laid eyes on the drain line and don't know it's path to the bilge(if it's not simply open to the bilge) Now that I think of it, I believe that it drains into the lower ice chest and then to the bilge
see if you can find a drain line leading into the top of the floor chest or something?????

jkski
05-23-2006, 09:23 AM
Yes I am very familiar with all of those locations but getting through the floor and into the bilge is the concern...I went to the dealer top look at the x7 they have on display and its the same way...hmmm....you can even see the carpet there...I am gonna try to get a pin or small nail through the carpet to see if there is a hose there and they just layed carpet over everything and forgot to cut the hole...also I could take the plug holder out of the cooler to get more room...there are two screws holding the plug holder into the cooler...I'll keep ya posted...hey jk...didnt jim use the cooler?

NT,
From what I know about how Jim uses his boat, I'd doubt that he ever used the center cooler. Typically that boat sits on a private lake all but one week of the season, and that week is when he takes it to Cumberland with the family. I know that I use mine for storage of towels, cleaning supplies, etc., I don't recall ever having used this one for anything else. I'll be hauling mine home from the lake on Friday for it's weekly cleaning, so if you haven't figured it out by then, I'll let you know how mine runs.
Good luck, I'll be curious to see what you find.

6ballsisall
05-23-2006, 09:25 AM
Jeez NT, all those problems with that boat. I think you need to sell it to me right now!! :D

ntidsl
05-23-2006, 10:01 AM
I hear ya JK...I have been 20-30 hours on it already this year and this weekend was the first time I used my cooler...lol...pretty pathetic really...the weird thing is is that the x7 I looked at hoad the same thing...weird!!!

Hows your skiing coming thsi year jk? I have been feeling great lately...it took me a month and one hell a coming out front across the wake to get into a groove but I think I got it down now...

ntidsl
05-23-2006, 10:06 AM
and no way jeff...hern has a 2005 left..they finally got rid of the o4 sammy but still have a yellow 2005...and a couple of 05 x7s.

jkski
05-23-2006, 10:11 AM
I hear ya JK...I have been 20-30 hours on it already this year and this weekend was the first time I used my cooler...lol...pretty pathetic really...the weird thing is is that the x7 I looked at hoad the same thing...weird!!!

Hows your skiing coming thsi year jk? I have been feeling great lately...it took me a month and one hell a coming out front across the wake to get into a groove but I think I got it down now...

I was on a role until all the rain hit and stopped us from going for 2 weeks. Just started back again at 6am yesterday morning....pretty much froze my......off. Went out again this morning at 6am and got fogged out. We try to hit it before work every morning for 1 hour, so that we can be at work by 8amish. Problem is the lake is a little over 45 minutes away in one direction, so when we get fogged out, it really sucks, especially with the gas prices!
How was your clinic?

Ric
05-23-2006, 10:21 AM
nti, did you get the 06 rudder? if not, you HAVE to do it, it's an unbelievable difference

ntidsl
05-23-2006, 11:26 AM
oh yeah...06 rudder on a 05 TT 197...I'm in heaven!

ntidsl
05-23-2006, 11:27 AM
The clinic with Jodi Fisher is next weekend, not memorial day the week after that...sunday and monday...can't wait!

6ballsisall
05-23-2006, 07:54 PM
and no way jeff...hern has a 2005 left..they finally got rid of the o4 sammy but still have a yellow 2005...and a couple of 05 x7s.

Yep I know. I can't bear the thought of giving them one cent of my money though.......I'll buy elsewhere even if it costs more.... :mad:

Footin
05-23-2006, 08:03 PM
Hey Jeff, did you contact Mid-Ohio?

6ballsisall
05-23-2006, 08:05 PM
Hey Jeff, did you contact Mid-Ohio?

Nope, got caught up today. Will tomorrow though.....

Footin
05-23-2006, 08:10 PM
Let me know what they say.

ntidsl
05-23-2006, 08:10 PM
so jeff you looking to move into a 197 really? sweet!!!

6ballsisall
05-23-2006, 08:12 PM
so jeff you looking to move into a 197 really? sweet!!!

Thats what they keep telling me :wavey: Having a bit of a time finding exactly what I want.

erkoehler
05-23-2006, 08:58 PM
Thats what they keep telling me :wavey: Having a bit of a time finding exactly what I want.

Jeff, let me know what you think of that email????

jkski
05-24-2006, 07:21 AM

My 05 is for sale if you like yellow, white, grey and black, and it's pretty loaded.