PDA

View Full Version : Boat wont start all of the sudden.. HELP

brianaw26
05-21-2006, 08:46 PM
Ok I finally tracked down all the leaky fuel issues, blipped the starter for 5 seconds fired up. Took it to the lake for some tuning on the water and the boat wont start.... UGHHH

Here are the symptoms.

1. When I turn the ignition on the tack jumps to about 5k and slowly lowers to about 2k
2. When I move the key to start the boat, I hear a click in the distributor.
3. If I fiddle with the 8-way connector, the tack jumps to 0rpm and all the lights in the dash come on sometimes bright sometimes dim. Also when I am fiddling with it the distributor is clicking on the inside.
4. If I get the tack to stay at 0rpm and all the lights are on in the dash. When I go to start, there is a louder click near the back of the engine...
5. Then everything starts over again.

Does it sound like a bad connector?
Bad Ground?

Also there are 2 wires coming out of the distriburor, one goes to positive coil and one to negitive coil. What does that mean. I thought there was only supposed to be one wire going to positive??? That is going off this schmatic.
Schmatic (http://www.skiboathelp.com/tech/colorcode.html)

This is getting to be a pain..

wesgardner
05-22-2006, 10:14 AM
My boat's engine is much different but...when I was going thru starting issues, the guys who rebuil my starter told me the yellow wire from key switch to solenoid had to be in PERFECT condition or the solenoid wouldn't work properly.

Your #4 could be the solenoid trying to pull in...

Can't help you wit hthe clicking in the distributor?

Wes

Hoosier Bob
05-22-2006, 10:22 AM
Click in the distributer or the starter solenoid (spelling?)? Hate to be obvious but after all this work and testing could your battery be dead? :o Ok I finally tracked down all the leaky fuel issues, blipped the starter for 5 seconds fired up. Took it to the lake for some tuning on the water and the boat wont start.... UGHHH

Here are the symptoms.

1. When I turn the ignition on the tack jumps to about 5k and slowly lowers to about 2k
2. When I move the key to start the boat, I hear a click in the distributor.
3. If I fiddle with the 8-way connector, the tack jumps to 0rpm and all the lights in the dash come on sometimes bright sometimes dim. Also when I am fiddling with it the distributor is clicking on the inside.
4. If I get the tack to stay at 0rpm and all the lights are on in the dash. When I go to start, there is a louder click near the back of the engine...
5. Then everything starts over again.

Does it sound like a bad connector?
Bad Ground?

Also there are 2 wires coming out of the distriburor, one goes to positive coil and one to negitive coil. What does that mean. I thought there was only supposed to be one wire going to positive??? That is going off this schmatic.
Schmatic (http://www.skiboathelp.com/tech/colorcode.html)

This is getting to be a pain..

brianaw26
05-22-2006, 04:47 PM
battery Is brand new. Multimeter says 12.72V.

Now nothing happens.... The dash lights dont turn on nothing.

I guess it was more of a static sound. Kinda like an electrical buzz. inside the dist and sometimes even the coil..

I guess i have to start from scratch here. Start from the battery and work my way around.

brianaw26
05-22-2006, 06:06 PM
fixed..... not going to tell you what it was... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But thanks for all your guys help. I have no clue what I would do w/o this place

erkoehler
05-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Got fuel?????????????????

jrhollow
05-22-2006, 06:53 PM
The safety clip was out?

Evan Jones
05-23-2006, 09:41 AM
Threadjack...sorry, but you guys seem to have all the answers. Had my starter rebuilt over the winter. Reinstalled it and now the boat is totally dead. No blower, no fuel pump, nothing. Kill switch lanyard is in and good. Multimeter shows battery is good, also has 12volts at solenoid. The problem seems to be one of the smaller side terminals on the solenoid is not giving out any juice. If I jump the small wire that is supposed to connect to the solenoid and give it 12v from the main feed, the blower will run. Did my rebuilder just mess up on the wiring? I also found a 50 amp reset button on the back of the engine where alll these wires go into a black box where the is another type of solenoid. Since I can fool the blower into working, I know that reset button is working.

Someone suggested just giving that accesory lead 12volts from the main feed. Would this work safely?

JimN
05-23-2006, 09:44 AM
Evan- You need to look at the second wire at the starter- it's usually red. That needs to go on the terminal with the battery cable and it sounds like it's on the switched side of the solenoid.

Evan Jones
05-23-2006, 09:51 AM
Thanks... That makes sense. I drew a diagram after I pulled the starter last fall, but I must have messed it up. I do have a wire with a bigger ring terminal on it that looked out of place on the little switched terminal. Thanks Jim, you made my day. I really wasn't looking forward to having to pull that starter again.

Bruce Carr
05-23-2006, 09:54 AM
fixed..... not going to tell you what it was... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But thanks for all your guys help. I have no clue what I would do w/o this place

Ground wire loose?

brianaw26
05-23-2006, 10:06 AM
No ground wire was fine..... The positive terminal on the battery was not tightned down......All those problems for a crappy corroded terminal connection. I took a wire brush cleaned everything up on the battery runs like a chanp. UGHHHH!!!!! LOL

brianaw26
05-23-2006, 10:11 AM
Threadjack...sorry, but you guys seem to have all the answers. Had my starter rebuilt over the winter. Reinstalled it and now the boat is totally dead. No blower, no fuel pump, nothing. Kill switch lanyard is in and good. Multimeter shows battery is good, also has 12volts at solenoid. The problem seems to be one of the smaller side terminals on the solenoid is not giving out any juice. If I jump the small wire that is supposed to connect to the solenoid and give it 12v from the main feed, the blower will run. Did my rebuilder just mess up on the wiring? I also found a 50 amp reset button on the back of the engine where alll these wires go into a black box where the is another type of solenoid. Since I can fool the blower into working, I know that reset button is working.

Someone suggested just giving that accesory lead 12volts from the main feed. Would this work safely?

Yes that would work, The accessories are always hot. As long as all the acessories all have their own fuses your good. Go to the schematic that is here and see where your missing something. Should be pretty close to your boat too. Cant be that different.

Wireing Schmatic (http://www.skiboathelp.com/tech/colorcode.html)