PDA

View Full Version : First time out with new (to me) boat-Questions

Datdude
05-21-2006, 08:12 PM
I bought a 1995 PS 190 LT-1 last Fall and finally got out on the lake today. When we took off, we ran at idle speed for about 10 minutes to let the engine warm up. After getting up to speed and cruising at 30 mph for a while the temp guage shot up to about 180-200F. I backed off and then gave it again. The boat bogged real bad so I put it in neutral. The temp guage dropped to 150-160F instantly, and it never did it again in 3 hours on the lake. The dealer just replaced the impeller and my buddy that was with me thought it might take a few minutes to wear in the impeller.

My other question relates to oil pressure. When at idle speed it reads about 40psi. When at cruising speed it is pegged at 80psi. I do not recall my 1999 Sportstar 310hp doing that last year. Is this something to be concerned about or is it normal on the LT-1.

I also had about 3/4" or so of water in the bottom of the boat after 3 hours on the lake. I was thinking that the shaft packing was bad? How much does it cost to have the packing redone normally? The amount of water in the boat was not outrageous, but more than I ever saw in my Sportstar. No powerturns were performed today ;)

Other than these issues, the boat ran great and it was fun to be back on the water :woohoo:

JohnnyB
05-21-2006, 08:44 PM
Wow, pegging the oil pressure is concerning to me....when was the oil last changed? Does it have the correct filter? Don't know that I've ever seen mine pegged. I think there is a thread on here somewhere about checking the calibration I'll do some searches in a bit and see what I can come up with.

The temp almost sounds like the thermostat was stuck closed......

As for the water....could be the packing, but could be a drip from somewhere else. Next time you are out on the water, let the engine idle, open the engine cover and start looking for drips....drain plugs in block(2), exhaust risers (2), heat exchanger may be just a bit loose. Also, if the cover on the impeller isn't tight, it will drip. Also, look at exhaust system for leaks.

You may just tighten the packing nut and solve the problem without having to repack the stuff box. Stuff box is an easy DIY....I know there is a How-to on here somewhere....

6ballsisall
05-21-2006, 10:25 PM
I'd venture to say you might have a bad temp sending unit and/or a bad thermostat. Might start with thermostat since they can be had for cheap. Also don't forget to check your hoses and trans cooler, if they are clogged that could be your issue.

As for fuel pressure gauge, is the regulator any good?

6ballsisall
05-21-2006, 10:28 PM
Almost forgot, on the shaft packing start with the packing nut. Keep tightening until you just barely get a drip. As said above, also check and make sure you aren't getting water from somewhere else like a hose or connection.

SKI*MC
05-21-2006, 10:58 PM
our temp gauge was doing that yesterday. We would just watch it move up and down, up and down. I think it may need replacing.

Datdude
05-21-2006, 11:45 PM
When the temp went way up, the boat bogged and then I put it in neutral. The temp dropped very fast and never did it again in 3 hours. I am guessing it was a stuck thermostat? The oil pressure is the concerning item on my mind. THe MC dealer changed the oil/filter a few weeks ago and today was the first time in the water. I opened the motorbox many times today and did not see any drips or water coming from anywhere on the motor. Thanks for the input

bigmac
05-22-2006, 08:59 AM
When the temp went way up, the boat bogged and then I put it in neutral. The temp dropped very fast and never did it again in 3 hours. I am guessing it was a stuck thermostat? The oil pressure is the concerning item on my mind. THe MC dealer changed the oil/filter a few weeks ago and today was the first time in the water. I opened the motorbox many times today and did not see any drips or water coming from anywhere on the motor. Thanks for the input

I've noticed variations in oil pressure too. When the boat was new, oil pressure maxed out at 40 on the dash gauge. Oil level was normal. I asked the dealer about it, he said it was OK. After the 20-hour oil/filter change, the pressure pegged out at 60 at full throttle. I asked the dealer about it, he said it was OK. Last fall, I changed the oil/filter and now the oil pressure hits 80 with the throttle open. I was going to call the dealer about it (I suspect I know what his answer will be), but now I'm going to wait to see how this thread evolves.

Thrall
05-22-2006, 09:44 AM
Regarding oil pressure, my LT1 sits at 30-40 psi at idle and 70+ psi at speed. Been that way for the 3 yrs I've had it, no problem I think.
Water temp, not sure why it would bog. I've clogged the intake before and saw temps get up to 200, but the boat was still running fine.
One thing to watch for, but not be alarmed is when the engine is good and hot after running a while, if you shut the boat off and let it set a bit, when you restart, the water temp will be up to 180/200, but comes right down as soon as you give 'er any throttle and circulate water.

Datdude
05-22-2006, 11:17 AM
The temp gauge climbed up very fast, the boat bogged and then a few seconds after I got the boat into neutral the temp dropped just as fast as it rose. Very weird.

When I told my boat salesman friend about the high oil pressure he said that he would be more worried about low oil pressure.

vogelm1
05-22-2006, 01:12 PM
DD - ours pegs at 80 psi until the engine is good and hot. That 15-40w oil is pretty thick stuff. And even after it's warmed up good, I believe getting up out of the hole it will still pet and then slowly drop down to between 40-50 psi. Would be more worried about the temp - even then, maybe you just sucked a weed through your tranny cooler. The impeller shouldn't need any kind of "break-in"; all the ones I've installed worked perfect from the get-go. Maybe one of the engine guys will chime in here too, but could the 'bogging' have been due to the water temp getting too high and putting the engine in 'safe' mode for a moment?? Thermostat might need replacement. Easy to do yourself and a cheap fix. Maybe run it again like you did yesterday and see if you can replicate. Might have just been a fluke thing too. See you out there sometime...going out Tuesday evening on Minocqua - a buddy has an X-10 that we're wakeboarding behind. Have to leave the 197 home for the night I guess. Good luck.

rabooze
05-22-2006, 01:27 PM
Some of you all's oil gauge readings scare me. My PS 209 idles around 10 on the PSIs and moves up to 40ish when it is running above 10 MPH up to top speed. I thought that was normal.

BRAZOS 205
05-22-2006, 01:30 PM
I had the same water temp problem with my 97 p205 LT-1. I replaced the thermostat, it was sticking, it actually had some small bits of impeller in it. The LT-1 has two thermostats, a 143 and 160 degree, one right above the raw water pump in the triangular housing, and one right under the flame arrestor (K&N air filter), it has two bolts securing the hose to the engine. The second one is the one I changed, it has to have a bypass hole drilled in it, make sure to get the right one, they come with the holes, your dealer will know which one.

The oil pressure deal is interesting, I have got all kinds of readings after I change the oil, I would just keep checking the oil w/ the dipstick, and if it is within the limits, I'd not worry.

bigmac
05-22-2006, 01:36 PM
Some of you all's oil gauge readings scare me. My PS 209 idles around 10 on the PSIs and moves up to 40ish when it is running above 10 MPH up to top speed. I thought that was normal.

Heh..those reading scare me....because I thought my readings were normal...:D

Diesel
05-22-2006, 01:51 PM
You need to replace both your thermostats. I had to do it on my 95 LT1 after 8 year. It would randomly stick and when the temps climbed up the LT1 goes into limp mode (hence the bogging and smoking).

Order both stats through your MC dealer only (should be about $12 ea.) The top one in the water pump housing has a bypass hole drilled in it so it will operate correctly. DO NOT just go to the parts house and try to use an automotive stat, the engine will overheat.

Datdude
05-22-2006, 04:39 PM
You need to replace both your thermostats. I had to do it on my 95 LT1 after 8 year. It would randomly stick and when the temps climbed up the LT1 goes into limp mode (hence the bogging and smoking).

Order both stats through your MC dealer only (should be about $12 ea.) The top one in the water pump housing has a bypass hole drilled in it so it will operate correctly. DO NOT just go to the parts house and try to use an automotive stat, the engine will overheat.

I will replace both of them then. It definately went into limp mode until I put it back in neutral and the temp dropped. Thanks for the help guys!