PDA

View Full Version : Trailer wheel alignment?

badams
05-21-2006, 02:35 PM
I took the new X2 out for the first time today. When I was backing it into the garage I looked in my rear view mirror and noticed that the wheels on the trailer were not aligned. One was angled to the left and one was angled to the right. Should this happen? The truck was still in the street and the boat was on the driveway. My driveway is fairly flat but the trailer was a little above the truck. Once I had the truck and the boat on the drive way they seemed to straighten out. It was just a little concerning.

PendO
05-21-2006, 02:37 PM
I took the new X2 out for the first time today. When I was backing it into the garage I looked in my rear view mirror and noticed that the wheels on the trailer were not aligned. One was angled to the left and one was angled to the right. Should this happen? The truck was still in the street and the boat was on the driveway. My driveway is fairly flat but the trailer was a little above the truck. Once I had the truck and the boat on the drive way they seemed to straighten out. It was just a little concerning.

Tandem Axel Trailer ... right?

88 PS190
05-21-2006, 02:41 PM
If its a dual axle trailer then its possible that the one axle was less loaded, if so sometimes when tires come off being loaded the can change caster angles etc.

I'd have to see a picture to really know the angles you're toying with.

TMCNo1
05-21-2006, 03:32 PM

I hope you were refering to the TIRES, not the WHEELS! This will happen on tandom axle trailers in tight turns and that is what makes them so hard to move around by hand vs a single axle.

badams
05-21-2006, 08:28 PM
I hope you were refering to the TIRES, not the WHEELS! This will happen on tandom axle trailers in tight turns and that is what makes them so hard to move around by hand vs a single axle.

It actually looked like each wheel was at a different angle. I'm sure I'll have the boat out again in the next day or so. If I see it again I'll stop and take a picture so I can show what it looks like. Thanks for the info.

X45owner
05-21-2006, 08:40 PM
This happens to me when I'm backing while turing. The more I turn the worse it gets.
Sorry you had to down size to the X2. Your X-45 was beautiful!

Cloaked
05-21-2006, 09:00 PM
Load bearing axles do this. It's OK.

badams
05-22-2006, 08:40 AM
This happens to me when I'm backing while turing. The more I turn the worse it gets.
Sorry you had to down size to the X2. Your X-45 was beautiful!

Thanks for letting me know. I kind of freaked out when I saw it. I miss the X45. But the trade off is that I get to use the X2 every day instead of just on the weekends we have time to make th 2 hour drive to the lake house.