PDA

View Full Version : Good Lift for 2003 Prostar 197 for a dock!! Any ideas?

excetara2
05-21-2006, 12:00 PM
I need to install a new lift because just got a 2003 Prostar 197 and was wondering some places where I could get good lifts and how much they cost? Thanks. Anyone with advice let me know.

88 PS190
05-21-2006, 12:16 PM
lots of good ideas, what sort of lake are you in? is it deep, shallow? muddy?

check out Floe, RGC, Pier Pleasure, Harbormaster, Lakeside Lift, shore station, and do searches on the forum.

I'm also shopping for a new one now, its just a matter of choosing the options and pricing, and how much you want to pay for delivery, or if you'll pick it up.

bigmac
05-21-2006, 01:11 PM
I need to install a new lift because just got a 2003 Prostar 197 and was wondering some places where I could get good lifts and how much they cost? Thanks. Anyone with advice let me know.

Jeez - lots of good lifts out there for your boat. Stick with a few major manufacturers with dealers close to you, look at them closely.

Some basic concepts IMHO:
deep canopy that the boat can tuck up into
diagonal bracing rather than horizontal - easier boat access
stainless steel hardware and cables
vertical vs cantilever lift
ease of putting the lift in / taking it out
robust pulleys that are grease-able (zerks)
quality of accessories
width and capacity of lift - I'd recommend 4000# minimum. You can get a 108" wide lift (and save a few $$), which should fit your Prostar well, but may not work for your next boat. OTOH, a 114" wide lift may leave you with some distance between dock edge and gunwhale

Cantilever tends to be cheaper, and easier to maintain. Vertical works great in shallower water.

When pricing, don't forget to add the cost of accessories. The basic lift might be cheap, but the canopy might be outrageous. You will also want to consider the winch mechanism (a motor lift is wonderful, but $500-$800 to add on), as well as a bow stop, good adjustable full-length bunks, and vertical guides to center the boat.

Datdude
05-21-2006, 07:01 PM

Where are you located?

Dean Witmer
05-21-2006, 08:08 PM
I keep my '93 190 on a Shore Master lift with a conopy. I love it. The canopy is a must. It keeps the boat clean and dry. The aluminum lift is light and easy to move and adjust. Check their websight for dealer locations. www.shoremaster.com

MYMC
05-22-2006, 09:10 AM
Tide Tamer! www.tidetamerboatlifts.com

bigmac
05-22-2006, 09:19 AM
Tide Tamer! www.tidetamerboatlifts.com

Tide Tamer makes great equipment (my buddy uses that stuff on Lake Seneca in New York), but IIRC it's all piling-based or boathouse-based. Excetara2 lives in the midwest, which suggest to me he's going to have to take the lift out seasonally. Does Tide Tamer even make a stand-alone aluminum lift with canopy?

MYMC
05-22-2006, 09:36 AM
Not sure...I met the owner of the company (Brad) Friday. He advised me that the "new" website was not up yet and the site they are using is 6 years old. I would call and ask...I've never met a more professional group.