PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Pass Trouble!

Jimperry
05-20-2006, 11:19 PM
First day on the lake with new DigitalPro Perfect Pass installed by dealer. It works great through the course on Slalom mode but while pulling the skiier out of the water and also after slowing down to turn around, the engine looses power and power fluctuates like someone is playing with the throttle. Has anyone had similar trouble or any suggestions????

Thanks,

bigmac
05-21-2006, 01:09 AM
First day on the lake with new DigitalPro Perfect Pass installed by dealer. It works great through the course on Slalom mode but while pulling the skiier out of the water and also after slowing down to turn around, the engine looses power and power fluctuates like someone is playing with the throttle. Has anyone had similar trouble or any suggestions????

Thanks,

PP performs a slight throttle roll-back as you accelerate through about 15 MPH to make sure it has enough cable in the spool on the servo to control throttle movement up and down. Maybe that's what you're seeing.

If you're seeing throttle surging, that might mean the PP servo cable needs to be re-tensioned, or that there's a little gap between the cable end and the throttle lever. It's in the manual.

parrish1
05-21-2006, 09:47 AM
On some you must remove the throttle return spring and leave it off or replace it with a weaker one that is provided with the system from the factory. Ask the dealer if they replaced it or just try removing it. My would come off speed set on its own and its seemed really strange like an engine problem but I removed the spring and all is well. Installed mine myself so I had read the return spring issue in the manual.

bigmac
05-21-2006, 09:51 AM
PP performs a slight throttle roll-back as you accelerate through about 15 MPH to make sure it has enough cable in the spool on the servo to control throttle movement up and down. Maybe that's what you're seeing.

I called Perfect Pass about that roll-back issue last year. They were really helpful, very willing to talk on the phone about technical issues, so you shouldn't be hesitant to call them.

Ric
05-21-2006, 04:56 PM

Thanks,
call PP tomorrow, they are helpful
it shouldnt fluctuate in the turns
try running it in RPM mode to see if you get the same fluctuations :steering:

bigmac
05-21-2006, 05:36 PM
call PP tomorrow, they are helpful
it shouldnt fluctuate in the turns
try running it in RPM mode to see if you get the same fluctuations :steering:My PP speeds up in a left turn, stays pretty steady in a right turn when in speed mode. Paddlewheel location, I'm guessin'.

One thing it's always good to check (besides cable tension) is that there is no gap at the throttle lever on the the intake between the brass hex connector and the PP servo cable. If there is a gap, the speed cand fluctuate.

http://mccollister.info/ppcable.jpg

From PP web site:
http://www.perfectpass.com/images/figure_c_large.jpg

rodltg2
05-22-2006, 02:03 PM

Thanks,

sounds normal to me, you have to power through it...

DanC
05-22-2006, 03:22 PM
As Rod and Bigmac said, your symptoms sound normal, power through it.

The perfect pass spool starts fully wound. As you power up, the spool lets out some line to get into the middle of the adjustment range. So the perfect pass is effectively backing off the throttle while you are powering up. You can get some more surging when you slow down to turn around when the spool winds the line back up. I first really noticed this when pulling up to slower speeds for tricks or surfing.

east tx skier
05-22-2006, 03:31 PM
I've not ever noticed that on mine.

Ric
05-22-2006, 04:16 PM
My PP speeds up in a left turn, stays pretty steady in a right turn when in speed mode. Paddlewheel location, I'm guessin'.

One thing it's always good to check (besides cable tension) is that there is no gap at the throttle lever on the the intake between the brass hex connector and the PP servo cable. If there is a gap, the speed cand fluctuate.

From PP web site:

I dont think this surging should occurr in slalom mode on pullup or turning
this maybe normal in wakeboard mode, I don't know about it. But slalom doesn't use paddlewheel and I've not had it happen during the turnarounds or the pullup on either the servo cable type or dbw.

DanC
05-22-2006, 05:12 PM
I talked with perfect pass and this happens with all models and is normal. My above explanation is from the service rep. You don't really notice it when you are pulling a skier because the amount of spool unwind is much smaller in proportion to the amount you are pushing the throttle down. The amount of spool unwind becomes proportionaly larger to the amount you are pushing the throttle down when you are only accelerating up to 10-20 mph and is thus more noticable.

You will never notice this if you floor the throttle at the start.

edit: this was before dbw, I don't know how they work

DanC
05-22-2006, 05:19 PM
But slalom doesn't use paddlewheel and I've not had it happen during the turnarounds or the pullup on either the servo cable type or dbw.

You won't notice it in a turnaround if the PP stays engaged or only goes to the # mode. If you slow down enough for the PP to dissengage, the spool winds back up. When you throttle back up, the spool lets out to the middle of the range again. If you floor it to get back up to speed coming out of the turn, you will never notice it.