PDA

View Full Version : A little Wakeboarding...

BriEOD
07-21-2004, 09:53 AM
Doug/MarkP/Andre and Others,

Any of you do any wakeboarding after your slalom runs?

east tx skier
07-21-2004, 04:02 PM
Brian, we've got one, and we, well my wife, has been on it once this year. I have decided that skiing is what I enjoy the most, although I may break out the wakeboard a little later this summer. Usually, we break out the kneeboard instead after the slalom runs.

TTAdmin
07-21-2004, 04:15 PM
Not after slalom runs but on a regular basis... I need to get some more boarders on here :cool:

André
07-21-2004, 04:42 PM
Brian
I have a TITAN tower that has been sitting in the basement for 2 years ,that sould answer your question.
To much danger of hurting myself because i **** on the wakeboard...

bcampbe7
07-21-2004, 05:00 PM
Andre`-
Are you wanting to get rid of that tower?
Do you think it will fit a 1996 ProStar 190?

Beau

BriEOD
07-21-2004, 05:06 PM
I ride the wakeboard or kneeboard after I slalom. You can only slalom so much before your hands quit, or you're tierd. I'm ok on the wakeboard. I can jump wake to wake, and turn around. That's about it. I used to be able to do barrel roles on a kneeboard when I was 13/14. Now I just do 360's and jump a litte. Everyone that comes out with us though wants to learn to wakeboard. I like having the fly high pole though. It's good for wakeboarding and kneeboarding from the standpoint of using the back seat. THe PS 190 isn't exactly a plethra of space.

André
07-21-2004, 06:59 PM
Sorry Beau.Not for sale...Got it with the boat and the mounts are still on it,i would have to have those holes patch,no big deal,but the main reason for me to keep it is that they are less and less hardcore slalom skier outhere and when it will come time to sell my 190 for a Mal...Sorry another MC,i think it will sell a lot faster and better with the tower on.
Too bad,i think there is about half hour use on the "THING"...

JUST KIDDING ABOUT THE M... Thing!!! :D
"Please,Please,Don't fire me MR Trump"

bcampbe7
07-21-2004, 07:45 PM
That's cool Andre.
I am just getting into slalom skiing. My wife slaloms and has just gotten into wkaeboarding this past year. She will usually start out slaloming then wakeboard. I can't let her outdo me now...

BriEOD
07-21-2004, 11:57 PM
Not to start a war in here, but I think (my opinion) it's harder to slalom. It's definitely harder to teach someone to get up slalom then wakeboarding. I would ***ume that's one of the key reasons wakeboarding has taken over. However, while I was down at ski school the pros told me they were seeing a strong shift back to skiing. I guess we'll see...

bcampbe7
07-22-2004, 09:45 AM
I would probably agree with you on the getting up part. We can usually have someone up within a few pulls. People always ask which foot to put forward. The best way to decide that is to ask if you were to run and slide on a hardwood floor with socks on, which foot would put forward?
Wakeboarding gets pretty difficult when you start trying tricks. Even though you are not going 30+MPH on a wakeboard, it still hurts a bit when you fall from 6-10 feet up onto the side of your head. :eek:

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 10:02 AM
I never thought about the harwood floor slide. I usually ask, if you were running up a set of stairs which foot would you step off with or which foot would you kick a soccer ball with.

I've taken some pretty good falls on that board. Especially, when I was learning how to do a 180 on the board on the water and in the air I did some good face plants.

ixthus
07-22-2004, 11:04 AM
I only wakeboard but from what I've seen and heard, catching on to the basics of wakeboarding is definitely easier than skiing. It's the tricks that get you! My husband blew out an eardrum (he now wears a helmet with ear protection) and once hit the water so hard he got a black eye. Two weeks ago he sprained his ankle. :(

My husband slaloms once early in the morning and then once again at the end of the day when the water is calmer. He has never gotten hurt while slaloming but prefers wakeboarding because he can basically do it all day without getting tired.

We figure out if somebody is goofy or regular by having them stand in front of you- their back to you and eyes closed. Give them a light shove and watch which foot they put forward!

MarkP
07-22-2004, 11:15 AM
I had to read that twice, “goofy or regular”.

I get it now, but what foot is regular??

Im going to try that on my wife tonight as she wants to start on one ski again.

east tx skier
07-22-2004, 11:25 AM
As a surfing term, LFF is regular and RFF is goofy. I'm goofy.

We always do the Ixthus method for figuring it out. You could also ask someone how they put on pants, i.e., which leg first. Of course, it's opposite for me on that test.

Wakeboarding is definitely a shorter learning curve on the "getting up" end. However, if you're a slalom skier, I think it's a little longer learning curve when you try to wakeboard. I look at it as active (wakeboard) versus passive (slalom). Do you pull you up, or do you let the boat do the work. We used to joke that wakeboards were designed for impatient little kids who just had to stand up.

Easy folks, it's just a joke. ;)

André
07-22-2004, 11:25 AM
Mark
Regular is left foot forward and goofy is ...
Same thing for wakeboarding ,snowboarding and waterskiing.

bcampbe7
07-22-2004, 11:37 AM
Not to bring winter into the discussion, but it's the same for snow skiing vs snowboarding. Within a day on a snowboard you will be able to go down the hill with somewhat control and stop with very little effort. Snow skiing on the other hand is more difficult to get down. Have you ever seen a beginner skiing on a blue after one day of learning. Poles flying everywhere, standing straight-up. They end up creating a nice white dust cloud when they fall. If you have never experienced this go to Banner Elk, North Carolina (Sugar) over Christmas or Presidents Day weekend. It's crazy.

east tx skier
07-22-2004, 11:39 AM
So true. Took me 13 years to get comfortable on skis. Still haven't tried snowboarding as I can't afford a whole new set of clothes. Tried the blades though. That is way fun, and a very short learning curve.

ixthus
07-22-2004, 12:42 PM
It's interesting how these things work.
With me, I'm very comfortable on snow skis and have no desire to snowboard. Snowboarders always have wet butts and are always hopping around on one foot. I don't even know how they manage to get off the lift! But on water it's the opposite. There is no way I'm going to get on two skis and let a boat pull me- the horror! :eek: and slalom skiing is too fast for my comfort. Wakeboarding is just right.

Go figure! :rolleyes:

east tx skier
07-22-2004, 12:47 PM
I don't think I even remember how to ski on tandem skis on water. On snow, I'm like you, no real desire to pick up snow boarding. Besides, it's taken me nearly 29 years of snow skiing to become as graceful as I am with it (not terribly graceful). I need all the days on two sticks I can get.

MarkP
07-22-2004, 12:47 PM
Thanks Andre

I always assumed it was the other way around… (at least I’m not goofy)

east tx skier
07-22-2004, 12:50 PM
Everyone in our family is goofy except my brother-in law. Most of us pivot the back boot. It's funny watching him try to ride our skis and vice versa.

Not to mention, he'll never be on my ski with the animal boots and the superfeet.

MarkP
07-22-2004, 12:57 PM
"superfeet" ???:confused: .

NeilM
07-22-2004, 02:07 PM
Yeah, I'll ask for the wakeboard after I'm done a slalom set. I'm finding, though, that the side strain on my knee (after having the knee surgery last fall) is quite painful.. am experimenting with knee braces.

New sport now when the lake gets too choppy for either slalom or wakeboarding is wakesurfing.. Haven't been able to let go of the rope yet, hopefully soon...

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 02:10 PM
That's something I haven't tried Neil.

So Doug, everyone in your family is "Goofy" or just goofy foot! :D

bcampbe7
07-22-2004, 02:52 PM
With the permission of the creator, Ryan Bedford, I will post this:

OUCH! (http://www.wakepics.com/media/Crash_section.wmv)

MarkP
07-22-2004, 03:05 PM
I need new toys. I don’t even own a Wake Board, YET. But I do think I have the wife convinced to take the Rocket so I can buy a new ski..

east tx skier
07-22-2004, 03:08 PM
Ouch! That's like me, but with air.

Mark, Animal Superfeet are HO's boots with orthotic (sp) footbeds in them. They're foot specific, so LFF skiers can't ski on my RFF setup.

As to the goofy, the answer is "a little from column a; a little from column b."

bcampbe7
07-22-2004, 03:18 PM
I was thinking about getting the Animal bindings. Are they comfy?
I am goofy also...and also ride right foot forward.

east tx skier
07-22-2004, 03:32 PM
I went from O'brien contacts to the animals and really like them. Not only are the comfortable, but with the footbed, I feel like I have more control. My wife has the Venom bindings (one step below animals) and is not impressed with them. She loves the old O'Brien advantage highwraps, but enjoys my animal bindings, too.

The only complaint I've heard about them is that the overlays were ripping pretty easy for the hardcore guys. As I'm not a hardcore course guy, I don't expect any troubles.

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 04:21 PM
Mark what are you riding now (slalom ski)? :popcorn:

MarkP
07-22-2004, 04:30 PM
Brian I’m on an old Connelly Rocket. I have to find a place to demo the good stuff. I may be able to work a demo deal at a store about an hour from me, but it will have to be near the end of the season.

east tx skier
07-22-2004, 05:23 PM
You should try the Doug method. Buy 'em, ride 'em, sell 'em. Broke even on the last ski. Lost about $25 on the Mapple (cheaper than most demos I've seen). Wife is loving the Truth, so it's a keeper, although I expect she'll sell the Venoms and get Animals soon enough.

Bought the Truth on ebay. Seller accidentilly sold an 03 out from under the auction. Made it up to us with a 2004 at no additional charge. :woohoo:

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 05:28 PM
You crack me up. :banana:

east tx skier
07-22-2004, 06:26 PM
I can't get enough of that 'nanner. :D

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 06:28 PM
:banana: My wife just walked by and about had the baby she was laughing so hard!

east tx skier
07-22-2004, 06:45 PM
LOL!

That guy ought to come with a disclaimer.

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 06:53 PM
Yeah, when she has the baby my skiing season is gonna be over! :cry:

MarkP
07-22-2004, 07:18 PM
Don’t say that Brian. Unless you want it to be over.. Work it out man!!:twocents:

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 07:20 PM
OK.

MarkP,

How would you and your kids like to come stay at my house for the rest of the ski season. I have a big guest room and bunk beds in my kids room...LOL :worthy:

MarkP
07-22-2004, 10:23 PM
I think this post was misplaced :o

Dude, I wish I could. All I can say is, "Work it Out", or Get-er dun. Or I could do the “Banana Dance”, but it’s a sad sad day when a man says his ski season is over..

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 10:29 PM
Hey brotha, I'm all ears for suggestions. I consider myself to be a fairly intelligent person. However, I've yet to figure out a way to drive the boat and ski simultaneously (safely anyhow). Fire away! :worthy:

Leroy
07-24-2004, 11:25 PM
My kids and I are balanced between ski/wakeboard time. But they like the wakeboard better. As they say it isn't just turning, you can also jump! :woohoo:

chris.willman
07-26-2004, 03:56 PM
Doug,

I saw your post re: your wife riding on a HO Truth. I just ordered the Truth with Wiley bindings, to save some bucks compared to the Animals. I really struggled with that, but was assured I can trade the Wiley's in on some Animals if I'm not satisfied. Just curious if you've skied on Wiley bindings and how you thought they compared to the Animals.

east tx skier
07-26-2004, 05:38 PM
Chris, I think we've got the same question going in the other thread, so I'll just say it again. Keep me posted on how you like the Wileys bindings, both from a comfort and a support perspective. My wife has the HO venoms and isn't thrilled with them.

_JR
07-30-2004, 12:25 AM
Switched to mostly wakeboarding these days, although I have grand plans to get back into the groove on the slalom. :eek:

Most of our friends and family are into wakeboarding, and it is great for beginners, as wakeboarding is pretty easy to learn.

Gotta say that I tried wake surfing a few weeks ago, and it is a blast! Need a little more weight in my boat to get the "wave" a tad bigger, and I am set. Great thing is, in the middle of the day when there are 5,000 boats running around, chop and wakes are a non-issue when wake surfing...

_JR
07-30-2004, 12:29 AM
I just bought a new HO Charger ski with the Venom's and I am still trying to break them in a bit.

I am hoping that after a little more time on the ski that the bindings will "break in" a bit more. Otherwise, I will be shopping again!

I have an older ('92) HO with the Animals that I really like, but the mounting plate will not fit on the newer ski. :mad:

Anyone else run into this issue?

Leroy
07-31-2004, 09:57 AM
I've taught (that may be using that word loosely) 4 kids to wakeboard and single ski for the first time this summer and on the getting up part it went from easy to one on each type had trouble. Once they were up once on each never seemed to have trouble getting up again, but whereas on the wakeboard it is pretty much 100% of the time you will get up on single ski seems there is always 10-20% of the time where you don't get up. THey enjoyed both, but really wanted to get "air" with the board. There is a local guy running a ski/board school now and tempted to try that so they can learn next levels the right way.

Leroy
07-31-2004, 10:40 AM
I am split almost 50/50 between ski and wakeboarding. I use a wide EP ski that makes getting up very easy, my friend said he used less power for me than his 80 pound daughter. But still has good turning for my ability especially at 30-32MPH. I use Hyperlite 142 for boarding.

89PROSTAR
08-04-2004, 05:55 PM
I typically slalom first then wakeboard. My wife and I both slalom and most of our friends wakeboard, and they have the big boarding boats. I really like to board but I must stay true to my roots. There is a lot of fun banter between my wakeboard friends and my wife and I (old school skiers). I grew up on a Maha.

sX-Star
08-05-2004, 10:25 AM
Why is everyone a skier on this site? I don't get it...the new MCs are basically all designed for riding...my gf and I only wakeboard and that's what all of our friends do....morning till night.....you can here the X coming....

east tx skier
08-05-2004, 11:34 AM
I don't know, but you can take solice in the fact that you guys seem to outnumber us on the lakes by and large. Welcome to the board.

ixthus
08-05-2004, 01:11 PM
sX-Star,

You must take into account that wakeboarding is a fairly "young" sport and most of the people on this site have been doing water sports for many, many, many years. ;)

Ten years ago hardly anybody knew what it was. Just three years ago when we bought our X10 not many people knew what a tower was and we would get many perplexed looks. We still get asked (especially when we go to the WI North Woods) "Is that (referring to the tower) for fishing on Lake Michigan or something?" :purplaugh

TalleyHo
08-05-2004, 11:14 PM
In general I think slalom skiing may be more difficult than basic wakeboarding -- but not if you include tricks in the mix.

I pretty much board only -- I own a pair O'Brien of skis that are just as old as me - and don't even own a knee board. A friend has one, and unless you have butter smooth water, my back and knees just can't take it. I much prefer to sit behind the boat and catch some air. Every once in a while I'll clean out my sinuses - but not too often. :)

momsmobius
08-06-2004, 09:01 AM
(Why is everyone a skier on this site? I don't get it...the new MCs are basically all designed for riding...my gf and I only wakeboard and that's what all of our friends do....morning till night.....you can here the X coming....)

They just haven't gotten bitten by the board bug yet. We used to do all the other stuff and now only wakeboard. My ski hasn't been out of the closet for two years now, I'm so addicted to it! I'm stuck in the world's largest learning curve but still get out there a few times a week from April until Nov. and keep loving it!!

don't know if i did this right. i'm new here :confused:

bcampbe7
08-06-2004, 10:02 AM
I disagree somewhat. I have been a wakeboarder for the past 3 years, not a very good one mind you, but I love it. I have just recently started slaloming. Trying (for me) to slalom a course has something that wakeboarding cannot offer, SPEED! :woohoo:
The two are obviously very different and each offers their own thrill. I will be a 2 watersport fan from now on. Maybe 3... Our boat came with a barefoot boom. Nothing like going 40MPH while trying to stand barefooted on water. :eek3:

John B
08-06-2004, 10:28 AM
I just ski. The board bug will never bit me! I water ski 6 to 7 days a week.5 of them in a course (weekday).I do not snow board. I snow ski 6 days a week in the winter. That board won't bit me. :mad:

jimmer2880
08-06-2004, 01:11 PM
If only I can get a job that allows me to ski that much! :(

JohnB - you're my new Mentor! :worthy:

east tx skier
08-06-2004, 03:51 PM
I agree. I've given wakeboarding a shot and it just didn't take. I like to watch it, but for my time on the water, I'm skiing.

sX-Star
08-07-2004, 09:45 AM
Ixthius,

Believe me, i know its new, i have an X-Star and it's even worse for me because my tower is running EVERYTHING, 4 lights, 4 pods, bimini and of course 4 boards....

My lake is connected to about 50 other lakes and when going through the locks, the comments never stop!

ski_king
08-07-2004, 10:10 AM
Where I ski, towers are still a rare sight. A few extended pylons though.

As for me, I mainly ski, 60% free, 40% course, I break out the old trick skis at least once a year. Gave up barefoot 10 years ago :mad:

Got a wakeboard this year and plan on giving it a try soon.

MarkP
08-07-2004, 02:54 PM
Denny

Did you get out yet?? Tomorrow looks good (weather) too..

BriEOD
08-07-2004, 03:09 PM
I'll take a wakeboard run after I'm tierd out on slalom. But, their is nothing like pulling out of a turn and pulling hard through both wakes with the wind in your face and a wall of water behind you. That is the "POOP!"

BriEOD
08-07-2004, 03:11 PM
MarkP, did you go out today. It was 60 degrees this morning here. The water was warmer then the air. It's August! My daughter and I took a stroll on the wakeboard together and she was shivering!

MarkP
08-07-2004, 09:33 PM
Brian,

Sure did.. The air 48, water 63. That air temp was down 20 from last Sat. I got the crew talked into it last night.:banana:

A battery issue kept us from skiing until 9: A, and by then the air temp had hit 52. Got some good runs in though.

48 is cold for late fall let alone Aug but I’ll bet in your part of town 60 feels like winter.. Not good weather so far this year:noface:

MarkP
08-07-2004, 09:34 PM
Hey ya know I almost let that last post go with out the dancing banana, oops,:o ..

BriEOD
08-07-2004, 10:01 PM
What happened to global warming?

Tmakaroff
08-17-2004, 06:45 PM
I have and usually do start the mornings with a ski. I find that it clears the cobwebs a little better, and I can go decently hard on my wakeboard after everyone else in the boat is done what they're going to do. Of course, how many people get up at 7 o'clock when on vacation? Not many... makes for some good water. :)

Leroy
08-17-2004, 10:54 PM
We spent Sunday night at our lake and went our early Monday, last day before school started and everyone wakeboarded, and salom'd. My 9 year old got up on her wakeboard for the first time, 19 MPH in pix! :banana: Oldest son had bad face plant, never seen anyone come out of both binding yet....and in the end they were saying they thought they like skiing better.

MasterCrafting
09-02-2004, 08:06 PM
I am younger and all my friends expect me to wakeboard but, the truth is i like to start my day off with either a barefoot run or a slalom run. Thats only when i get up early otherwise i bust out the board and wait for it to get calm. I'd rather ski and thats something i dont hear most 15 year olds say. Maybe thats because i was raised to ski and these other kids parents dont ski. Anyway the board is fun when its choppy! :headbang:

AirJunky
09-02-2004, 08:59 PM
Man, I must be the old guy here or something. I slalom skied for a couple of years in the late '80s, then when HO started making wakeboards in like '90 or '91 I played with that. My last board was a Shapiro Twin Tail Honeycomb in probably '96. Been riding foils ever since. All you guys complaining about your knees or the choppy conditions, or the learning curve.... try it. I progressed further on an Air Chair in 2 years than I did on either a board or a ski in far more time. And the whole flight sensation over the wakes is unreal. My knees don't hurt at all. I can ride for 30 - 60 minutes on an average run. There is no "weak side". The injuries are no worse, if anything their easier on the body because it takes the knees & ankles out of the mix. Cost is a bit more, but I don't think I've EVER met an EX-foil rider. Show up at a hydrofoil event & I'll introduce you to dozens of ex-skiers & ex-boarders though!

MasterCrafting
09-02-2004, 11:26 PM
AirJunkie Take a shower ya damn hippie! 8p

Just joking that foil looks cool.

jpattigr
09-03-2004, 02:26 AM
Well after reading this thread I must say that it just great to be able to have fun! I have taught about 40 kids in the last few years how to ski and wakeboard. I make sure that every kid gets a turn at both and that they devolp the skills in both. It's been fun as some kids only want to wakeboard as it is cool, but often get hooked on skiing as well. In the winter, we all ski and also do a few days riding.
Here a shot of my 10 year old daughter at Ghost lake the other night near our home.

MarkP
09-03-2004, 08:43 AM
AirJ

:uglyhamme "I must be the old guy here or something"
Struck me as funny. You do know most of the boarders I know consider “the air chair” to be a “PMV” for water sports.

MarkP
09-03-2004, 08:47 AM
Leroy, jpattigr

Good job on the teaching.:toast: I have a 9 yr old that’s ready to ride something soon.

MarkP
09-03-2004, 08:50 AM
Oops Air J, I forgot this:D . "it takes the knees & ankles out of the mix"