PDA

View Full Version : ALLIGATOR sight'n ..

atlfootr
05-20-2006, 01:26 PM
ALLIGATOR sight'n .. they pulled this fellow out of a lake a couple miles from here a few hours ago.

Harvey
05-20-2006, 05:52 PM
That looks like a healthy dinner for 5 or so. Someone needs to do a rain dance down in Florida. Between the drought, mating season, and people moving in on the wildlife population the aligators are going to make dinner out of plenty of people if they aren't more careful.

ajgressette
05-20-2006, 11:38 PM
I took this picture today in the river on lake Marion. One of the Santee Cooper Lakes here in South Carolina. It is a monster of an alligator. It’s a very old alligator. Look how its two front teeth point outwards.

SKI AT YOUR OWN RISK! :headbang:

Larryp
05-21-2006, 12:54 AM
hey, we have 'em in north Texas now.

SKI*MC
05-21-2006, 01:03 AM
HOLY SH!T! Those things are freakin' scary! How can you get your self to ski where you do!?

ajgressette
05-21-2006, 06:32 AM
Another photo. I would say this gator is around 13-15 feet long.

BriEOD
05-21-2006, 09:57 AM
I've seen them that big over on the Tail Race (off of Lake Moultrie) as well. BTW, I'm on the record for saying the options for skiing immediately to me [B]were better in Charleston than they are here in Tampa.

TMCNo1
05-21-2006, 10:15 AM
I took this picture today in the river on lake Marion. One of the Santee Cooper Lakes here in South Carolina. It is a monster of an alligator. It’s a very old alligator. Look how its two front teeth point outwards.

SKI AT YOUR OWN RISK! :headbang:

Darn bucktooth alligators, they can eat humans through a chain link fence!

bucky
05-21-2006, 10:50 AM
Easy. We ski in the south for the same reason as the gators. Water temps in the high 80's, low 90's.:)
Edit: To stay on topic, I checked out a last year's nesting site Wednesday for State Forestry, but apparently only one baby gator has survived the winter. About 1 foot long, kinda cute.

HOLY SH!T! Those things are freakin' scary! How can you get your self to ski where you do!?

atlfootr
05-21-2006, 11:00 AM
I'm on the record for saying the options for skiing immediately to me [B]were better in Charleston than they are here in Tampa.Com'on over here to Winter Haven and ski w/ us, it's a whole lot closer :wavey:

atlfootr
11-29-2006, 07:21 PM
GATOR ATTACKS MAN!
Happened today ... read details!

Gator attacks man near shore of lake in Lakeland, Fla.
an Associated Press report 11/29/06

http://www.abcactionnews.com/stories/2006/11/061129gator.shtml

LAKELAND - A 45-year old man is in the hospital following a gator attack in a lake early this morning.

Officials say an alligator, believed to be about 9 feet long, grabbed Adrian Apgar in Lake Parker.
Trappers are searching the large lake for any sign of the gator that attacked the man in heavy vegetation near the shore.

"There were reports from residents that they had heard a ruckus. They called 9-1-1. The sheriff's office responded," says Florida Fish & Wildlife's Gary Morse.
They heard Apgar hollering for help 40 feet into the thick mess.

The sheriff's office says 4 deputies waded in and literally pulled Apgar from the jaws of a 9-foot gator.
Trappers baited buoys in the lake - hoping to trap it.
On shore, the man's friend and boss, watched and worried.

"Yeah, I'd like to see them get the gator. If he got AJ, imagine what it would do on these kids in this neighborhood right here. I've been out on a boat during some gator hunts and they are dangerous. I don't care if you do shoot them, they are dangerous," says friend Bryant Brown.

Lake Parker is a very large lake in the Lakeland area- several miles across.

The victim is in surgery right now with life-threatening injuries.

We're told he has a partially severed left arm, a broken right arm and a large chunk of his backside mutilated in the attack.

atlfootr
11-29-2006, 07:24 PM
I was there TTBrd Members and let 'me tell ya ..... this supposable 9 foot gator, was more like
12 feet and weighed at least 600 pounds !

I took 10 pictures of this beast and NONE are altered (Photoshop) in any way, whatsoever.

atlfootr
11-29-2006, 07:35 PM
As those of you that read the local story and view the news video,
I'm about to post the 10 pic's in just a few minutes ...

I just came home, so bare w/ me and give me a minute
or two to say hello to my wifey :love:

thanks. :)

atlfootr
11-29-2006, 08:22 PM
This pic's are NOT for the skimsh.
Alrighty then, picture time :D
This is the first picture I took, upon my arrival.

atlfootr
11-29-2006, 08:39 PM
Sorry about the trapper's legs blocking the view :mad:

atlfootr
11-29-2006, 08:45 PM
Head Shot Close up

atlfootr
11-29-2006, 08:56 PM
Load'n the gator to transport

atlfootr
11-29-2006, 09:01 PM
Side Transport

atlfootr
11-29-2006, 09:05 PM
Inside Transport

atlfootr
11-29-2006, 09:11 PM
Inside Close Up

atlfootr
11-29-2006, 09:15 PM
Inside Closer

atlfootr
11-29-2006, 09:19 PM
Up even Closer

atlfootr
11-29-2006, 09:23 PM
Last One before leav'n ....

atlfootr
11-29-2006, 09:27 PM
Ok Crew,

Thanks for wait'n for me to finish, before post'n your comments :D
Hope you enjoy'd my pic's.

pram
11-29-2006, 09:31 PM
What do they do with it now? Relocate or the other alternative?

atlfootr
11-29-2006, 09:34 PM
What do they do with it now?
Relocate or the other alternative?Everything really depends on the stituation for which they are captured.

If an area is just over populated, they will catch the larger ones and put' em in other lakes.
Say there a nusiance or a constent threat to either human or pets, they'll probably destroy it.
And of course, if they attack a human -- it's now pretty much a pair of boots, wallet, handbag or on someone's dinner plate.

André
11-29-2006, 09:39 PM
How did they caught him? ...or her?:confused:

JohnE
11-29-2006, 09:45 PM
Great pic's!

I can't believe you guys ski with those guys in the lakes.

atlfootr
11-29-2006, 09:51 PM
Not the gator's fault :noface:

It's the stupid idiot's fault who was attacked that cost the gator, his life :rant:

What the "News Article" said, was not exactly as reported on the televison news channel that I saw tonight when I came home.

The male subject was in the water at 4 AM this morning, totally nude and high on crack.
And the gator, probably thought it was just food - not realizing what he had in his jaws.

atlfootr
11-29-2006, 09:57 PM
Great pic's!
I can't believe you guys ski with those guys in the lakes.Thanks ...
If you read my last post, it was the guy's own stupidity that nearly cost him his own life.

The majority of the time, you hardly ever see 'em.
When you do, their making tracks for the bottom clear on the other side of the lake --
XCEPT for mating season.

shepherd
11-29-2006, 10:45 PM
Gators are naturally shy and will normally rather run away from humans, except for the ones who get used to humans who feed them regularly (don't feed the gators!).

ICBW, but every time I hear about an attack, it's usually some wading along shore or swimming close to shore, usually at night. I've never heard of skier being attacked or anybody swimming in the middle of the lake. Probably because most gators' food sources are close to shore.

In other words, I don't worry too much about them when skiing.

Carbon Dreams
11-29-2006, 11:00 PM
When I first went to Lakeland for the Sun-N-Fun airshow years ago, we were told no skinny dipping at night. Now I see why. I guess being high on crack really doesn't make you Super Man;)

What a dumb arss! Should be a candidate for the Darwin Award.

Hoosier Bob
11-29-2006, 11:11 PM
Shep, are you serious! If I see a gator I am gone and if he decides to eat my bestestestest friend in the whole wide world, he is on his own! Shy or not we are not talkin' about wallflowers here but a lizard that can swallow you whole! So far in Indiana we have had ZERO alligator attacks!! You know why? Cause WE DON'T "F" WITH GATORS! We don't ski with them either! Hoosiers know better! You guys are crazy!:o Gators are naturally shy and will normally rather run away from humans, except for the ones who get used to humans who feed them regularly (don't feed the gators!).

ICBW, but every time I hear about an attack, it's usually some wading along shore or swimming close to shore, usually at night. I've never heard of skier being attacked or anybody swimming in the middle of the lake. Probably because most gators' food sources are close to shore.

In other words, I don't worry too much about them when skiing.

dapicatti
11-30-2006, 12:23 AM
Thanks ...
If you read my last post, it was the guy's own stupidity that nearly cost him his own life.

When you do, their making tracks for the bottom clear on the other side of the lake --
XCEPT for mating season.
Stupid is as stupid does. What a moron.

mpmartin
11-30-2006, 12:47 AM
Oh come on. Who hasn't enjoyed a good pipe of crack and a mid nite swim?

6ballsisall
11-30-2006, 12:54 AM
And that there my friends is why I can't go skiing in Florida!!

Jesus_Freak
11-30-2006, 01:26 AM
...Trappers baited buoys in the lake - hoping to trap it.

Since they were baiting "buoys", do you think they tried to get a quick set in?

shepherd
11-30-2006, 01:32 AM
Don't get me wrong -- if I ever see a gator cruising around the ski course, I'm getting back in the boat.

Let's see, over the years there have probably been millions of people who have skied on a Florida lake. How many of those people have been attacked by a gator??? None, as far as I know. You'd be more likely to break your neck in a freak waterski wipeout than be attacked by a gator. In fact, I bet that has happened more often...

PendO
11-30-2006, 01:35 AM
Don't get me wrong -- if I ever see a gator cruising around the ski course, I'm getting back in the boat.

Let's see, over the years there have probably been millions of people who have skied on a Florida lake. How many of those people have been attacked by a gator??? None, as far as I know. You'd be more likely to break your neck in a freak waterski wipeout than be attacked by a gator. In fact, I bet that has happened more often...

what about the water moccasins (http://www.oplin.org/snake/fact%20pages/moccasin_water/moccasin_water.html)???

Jesus_Freak
11-30-2006, 01:35 AM
You'd be more likely to break your neck in a freak waterski wipeout than be attacked by a gator. In fact, I bet that has happened more often...

You mentioned neck breaking freak waterski wipeout...you been watching me ski?

shepherd
11-30-2006, 01:37 AM
Was that you??? :rolleyes:

shepherd
11-30-2006, 01:40 AM
Actually, I wish the fear of snakes and gators would keep more people away from the lake!

Jesus_Freak
11-30-2006, 01:40 AM
Well...not resulting in death, but the wipeout you described is what I experience somewhere in the course in every set.

PendO
11-30-2006, 01:47 AM
Actually, I wish the fear of snakes and gators would keep more people away from the lake!

Well, it certainly skares the skirt right off of this sissy:) In our lakes we have things like fish, and the ocassionaly deer or bear or elk may swim across, and sometimes you see a beaver or a muskrat ... you guys are just plain tough and fearless:)

sizzler
11-30-2006, 06:48 AM
we have small lazy fish.......thats it ...nothing else........the occasional tampoon fish.......but thats it.........safe as houses....the scariest thing on our lake is the price of beer and petrol

Leroy
11-30-2006, 08:29 AM
Catfish, man are they scary!

Lurking on the bottom.....

atlfootr
11-30-2006, 08:49 AM
Well...not resulting in death, but the wipeout you described is what I experience somewhere in the course in every set.Careful now ppl, don't go jack'n my thread :noface:

shepherd
11-30-2006, 10:07 AM
In two years I've only seen a gator on our lake once. It was about 8 feet long. I had my buddy idle up along side it, then I jumped on its back and got a good grip. The gator thrashed around a bit, but I managed to whisper in its ear that we didn't like it swimming around our slalom course because it messed up our water. When I let it go, it immediately swam across the lake and into the weeds. Haven't seen it since. See PendO? Nothing to worry about. ;)

Well the first two sentences are true. But my ski buddy scared it off by trying to run over it with his boat (and I was wondering what kind of damage it would do to his shaft/prop if he actually hit it.). And we haven't seen it since.

SkiDog
11-30-2006, 10:59 AM
Oh come on. Who hasn't enjoyed a good pipe of crack and a mid nite swim?

Now thats some funny sh__, I don't care who you are!:D I read about this attack in the paper this morning, and couldn't help but laugh my a$$ off! On a sad note, the guy did lose one of his arms, and the other one is broke. But even after all that, its still beats the alternative!

Mikey
11-30-2006, 11:22 AM
Now thats some funny sh__, I don't care who you are!:D I read about this attack in the paper this morning, and couldn't help but laugh my a$$ off! On a sad note, the guy did lose one of his arms, and the other one is broke. But even after all that, its still beats the alternative!

I guess he will just have to learn how to hold a crack pipe with his feet.:D

trickskier
11-30-2006, 11:58 AM
What a complete idiot! What did he expect? Going into a gators habitat at 4am in the morning, must have been on Joe Louis drugs looking for a fight.

Maybe he should have read my signature before entering the H2o........

M-Funf
11-30-2006, 12:30 PM
This made our local news this AM!!! Showed video of the trapper pulling in the gator.

Said the guy was "swimming" at about 4AM...can you say doofus????!!!

edit: GREAT pictures. Thanks!

trickskier
11-30-2006, 01:03 PM
Shep, are you serious! If I see a gator I am gone and if he decides to eat my bestestestest friend in the whole wide world, he is on his own! Shy or not we are not talkin' about wallflowers here but a lizard that can swallow you whole! So far in Indiana we have had ZERO alligator attacks!! You know why? Cause WE DON'T "F" WITH GATORS! We don't ski with them either! Hoosiers know better! You guys are crazy!:o

HB,
Down here you share the water with them. They're always there you just don't know it......

JohnE
11-30-2006, 01:37 PM
Thanks ...

XCEPT for mating season.

So when exactly is mating season?

TMCNo1
11-30-2006, 03:29 PM

I asked my wife the same question!:D :rolleyes: 8p She said, "Whenever I say it is"!

shepherd
11-30-2006, 03:32 PM
I asked my wife the same question!:D :rolleyes: 8p She said, "Whenever I say it is"!

Now THAT's funny.

trickskier
11-30-2006, 04:31 PM

In the Spring, like most of nature. Gators are primarily nocturnal. However, they are on top of the water during the day to protect their territory during mating season. A male will allow a female to enter his territory but not another male. Larger males give headslap warnings to other males entering their territory. I toured the Everglades during mating season, I've never seen so many Gators in my life. It was BEAUTIFUL!!!

OBTW......Great Pics Footr!!!

shepherd
11-30-2006, 04:40 PM
You guys ever been cruising the upper St. John's River in Central FL (near hwy 520)? Took my MC there once. It's like Gatorland without the admission fee! Got stuck in the mud once and had to jump in to push the boat off. My wife was a little frantic about that, since there were dozens of gators lined up along the bank about 20 yards away.

Ric
11-30-2006, 04:41 PM
This thread reminds me juniah.... I need to call yo mamma.

Davo
11-30-2006, 04:44 PM
I toured the Everglades during mating season, I've never seen so many Gators in my life.
That sounds cool. Any pics? (if so, you may want to start a new thread so AtlFooter doesn't get his britches all jumbled up 8p :o :rolleyes: :D)

trickskier
11-30-2006, 06:05 PM
That sounds cool. Any pics? (if so, you may want to start a new thread so AtlFooter doesn't get his britches all jumbled up 8p :o :rolleyes: :D)

It was several years ago, I'll have to dig through the scrap books.

trickskier
11-30-2006, 06:09 PM
You guys ever been cruising the upper St. John's River in Central FL (near hwy 520)? Took my MC there once. It's like Gatorland without the admission fee! Got stuck in the mud once and had to jump in to push the boat off. My wife was a little frantic about that, since there were dozens of gators lined up along the bank about 20 yards away.

Never been that far down the St. Johns. However there are plenty around the Palatka area.

Bruce
11-30-2006, 06:28 PM
I live on a bayou. the other side of the bayou is a wildlife refuge. I figure I am on their turf. They were here first. They observe the no wake zone so I don't bother them. I looked outside one day and there was a big one laying motionless off my sand beach. On the beach was my calico cat. They were eyeballing each other when the cat (Scarlet) made a wise decision and hauled a--. The gators I don't worry about. The cotton mouths are another story. They will come after you. After Katrina I lost count of how many I shot.

atlfootr
11-30-2006, 09:04 PM
Now THAT's funny.That is funny stuff :purplaugh

atlfootr
11-30-2006, 09:07 PM
OBTW......Great Pics Footr!!!Thnks, I'm really glad that his mouth was taped.

atlfootr
11-30-2006, 09:09 PM
That sounds cool.
Any pics? (if so, you may want to start a new thread so AtlFooter doesn't get his britches all jumbled up 8p :o :D)Good one DaveO :rolleyes:

TX.X-30 fan
11-30-2006, 10:04 PM
Great pics atlfootr and a very funny thread guys. Do you think TMC is on the spring mating season thing. If so Im' guessing he gets real grumpy this time of year. :confused: :confused:

BriEOD
11-30-2006, 10:46 PM
Footr,

You see that crack-head in Lakeland that went skinny dipping at 4am and got attacked by that 12 footer? 4 Sheriff's Deputies saved his butt. Moral to the story...don't smoke crack.

atlfootr
11-30-2006, 10:52 PM
Footr,

You see that crack-head in Lakeland that went skinny dipping at 4am and got attacked by that 12 footer? 4 Sheriff's Deputies saved his butt. Moral to the story...don't smoke crack.Actually, the cops should of done Wildlife Fish & Game a favor and saved the gator instead :rolleyes:

Hoosier Bob
11-30-2006, 10:53 PM
I'll take my chances with crack before I go head to head with a 14' Crockigator! My question is why save him? If a Crock eats a "Crackhead" does that make the Crock a junkie? Even better is the "Crackhead" now a "Crockhead?" Maybe we are all wrong and we are dealing with Crocks that are addicted to Crackheads? Should we not get them help?

BriEOD
11-30-2006, 11:03 PM
I agree...one less idiot. Here is the article from the Tampa Tribune:

LAKELAND - Adrian Apgar lay naked and wounded in the muddy water amid a lakefront tangle of cattails, at the mercy of an alligator that had broken one arm and virtually severed another.

Over and over again, he called for help in the predawn darkness.

His answer came from four Polk County sheriff's deputies, who followed Apgar's voice into the head-high reeds, waist-deep water and shin-deep muck along Lakeland's Lake Parker. They eventually found Apgar several dozen feet from shore, "pinned" by a large alligator that had been working him over for a half-hour or more.

Two deputies grabbed Apgar and tried to pull him free while another stood nearby with a shotgun. The alligator first let Apgar go and then clamped down on him again.

"It was a tug-of-war," Deputy Billy Osborne said.

After about 30 seconds, Osborne said, the alligator surrendered Apgar, and the three deputies and their sergeant struggled back through the muck and water toward shore, pulling the 240-pound Apgar along. None of the deputies touched the alligator, and none was injured.

They left a clear trail of flattened reeds behind them.

Although he emerged from the water alive, Apgar is in bad shape. The 45-year-old was taken to Lakeland Regional Medical Center in critical condition and underwent surgery Wednesday afternoon, Sheriff Grady Judd said.

In addition to the wounds to his arms, Apgar's upper leg and buttocks were badly gashed, Judd said.

"There was a lot of blood in the water," Sgt. Andrew Williams said. "I thought he was going to bleed out."

At the request of Apgar's family, Lakeland Regional will not provide condition updates, hospital spokeswoman Cindy Sternlicht said.

Suspect Gator Is Destroyed
About eight hours after Apgar was pulled from the water, trappers working for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission caught an 11-foot, 8-inch alligator not far from the site of the attack. Estimated at 450 to 600 pounds, the alligator was subsequently destroyed.

Conservation commission spokesman Gary Morse said there's no way to be sure that alligator attacked Apgar. Circumstances suggest it's likely.

Trapper John Wilson thinks it's the same one. "There's a pretty good chance. He's a big gator and still in the area. There's a couple of other gators out there, but he took both baits [set out for trapping] and was still in the eating mode, where other gators would be slowing down this time of year."

It also matches the 12-foot estimate given by the deputies.

The incident took place about 4 a.m. near a small county park on the eastern side of Lake Parker, according to the sheriff's office and the conservation commission, which is investigating how Apgar became entangled with the alligator.

Judd said Apgar told medical personnel he had been smoking crack cocaine before the encounter, but Morse was not able to confirm that.

It's unclear whether Apgar, who was found naked, was skinny-dipping or bathing, or whether the alligator grabbed him from the shoreline, Morse said, noting that it's unusual for an alligator to grab a human from dry land.

For now, the incident is technically considered a bite, Morse said, rather than an attack, which would indicate that an alligator attacked a human without provocation.

The fact that the alligator didn't kill and eat Apgar in the 30 minutes or so it had him in the water is consistent with alligator behavior, Morse said.

"Alligators kill in different ways," Morse said. With large prey, like a human, they try to drown the animal first before feeding.

The sheriff's office got involved when dispatchers received multiple calls from neighbors reporting that a man was yelling for help. It's unclear how long it took for neighbors to call, but the first deputies arrived within five minutes, the deputies said.

Deputies Recall Fear, Exhaustion
Wednesday afternoon, in front of television cameras and reporters, Osborne, Williams and Deputies David Clements and Michael Parker recounted what they saw and did.

The county park is like a miniature causeway that juts out into the lake from the east. Along the edge of the green space, a line of trees blocks vision and access to the water and reeds just below.

In darkness, it was even harder to see.

Several onlookers pointed the deputies to small clear spot in a row of trees, and they entered the water through there. It took them as long as 20 minutes to reach Apgar, as the shallow water and deep mud layer fatigued them. They moved warily after Apgar warned them of more alligators he thought were nearby.

At one point, they said, the alligator thrashed, and Apgar, who was communicating with them the whole time, went silent underwater. But he resurfaced and began shouting to the deputies again.

"I was definitely afraid," Clements said. "We were fighting a 12-foot gator. I haven't had this training before."

When the four men managed to pull Apgar out of the water and into the care of waiting paramedics, they all collapsed on the grass of the park, exhausted.

Their boss said it was quite a morning's work.

"I'm so very proud of them that I can't explain it, except to say that I'd expect nothing less," Judd said.

Hoosier Bob
11-30-2006, 11:26 PM
Maybe if we had more Alligators we would have fewer Crackheads!8p
Maybe if more Alligators were in law enforcement we could end crime all together! Maybe if Alligators were kept in County and Federal prisons overcrowding would not be a problem! Save the Alligators! They are doing us a favor!:mad:

PS When I do run for office my entire platform will be, "Allowing Alligators in Prison! No more over crowding!" The world needs more Alligators!

TMCNo1
11-30-2006, 11:37 PM
Maybe if more Alligators were in law enforcement we could end crime all together! Maybe if Alligators were kept in County and Federal prisons overcrowding would not be a problem! Save the Alligators! They are doing us a favor!:mad:

PS When I do run for office my entire platform will be, "Allowing Alligators in Prison! No more over crowding!" The world needs more Alligators!

Hoosier Bob in '07!

T Scott
12-01-2006, 01:23 AM
To make the waters a bit safer, the Florida Fresh Water Fish and Game Commision are trying to equip each alligator in Florida with one of these. See Below.....

Don
12-01-2006, 01:44 AM
You do become a better skier :)

JohnE
12-01-2006, 04:12 PM
In the Spring, like most of nature. Gators are primarily nocturnal. However, they are on top of the water during the day to protect their territory during mating season. A male will allow a female to enter his territory but not another male. Larger males give headslap warnings to other males entering their territory. I toured the Everglades during mating season, I've never seen so many Gators in my life. It was BEAUTIFUL!!!

So I guess I shouldn't book a trip down south to get myself ready early season? Sounds less painful to just ski here the day the ice goes out.

SkiDog
12-01-2006, 04:20 PM

Damn HB, this tread has made you take up MORE drinking I think!:D You'd make a great game warden. I'll get you one of Ga's best bumper stickers. It reads, '' Wecome to Ga., owned & operated by the D.N.R.".

shepherd
03-08-2008, 01:32 PM
I agree...one less idiot. Here is the article from the Tampa Tribune:

LAKELAND - Adrian Apgar lay naked and wounded in the muddy water amid a lakefront tangle of cattails, at the mercy of an alligator that had broken one arm and virtually severed another.

Over and over again, he called for help in the predawn darkness.

His answer came from four Polk County sheriff's deputies, who followed Apgar's voice into the head-high reeds, waist-deep water and shin-deep muck along Lakeland's Lake Parker. They eventually found Apgar several dozen feet from shore, "pinned" by a large alligator that had been working him over for a half-hour or more.

Two deputies grabbed Apgar and tried to pull him free while another stood nearby with a shotgun. The alligator first let Apgar go and then clamped down on him again.

"It was a tug-of-war," Deputy Billy Osborne said.

:noface: Maybe he was looking for revenge??? :confused:

From today's Orlando Sentinel:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/southwest/orl-gator0808mar08,0,6364181.story

"He was naked. In a pond. In the dark. There were alligators.

Sound familiar?

Ask the two deputy sheriffs who found Adrian Apgar nude early Friday, wading in a Lakeland-area pond.

Apgar told the officers he was looking for an alligator.

About 15 months ago, one tried to eat him.

He made national news in November 2006 when deputies rescued him from the jaws of a huge alligator in Lake Parker. He was naked when they pulled him from the lake in east Lakeland off U.S. Highway 92.

During that attack, deputies engaged in a tug of war with the alligator.

The reptile ripped off much of Apgar's left arm and bit his back, buttocks and thigh. Apgar spent months recovering from his life-threatening injuries at Lakeland Regional Medical Center.

On Friday, Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said his deputies had once again saved Apgar's life, possibly rescuing him from another alligator attack.

About midnight Thursday, a patrol deputy spotted an unoccupied pickup truck parked near a pond at Saddle Creek Park on U.S. Highway 92 between Lakeland and Auburndale.

The deputy checked the truck's tag, and afterward, realizing Apgar owned the truck, called for another deputy familiar with the 2006 attack.

The deputies searched the park for Apgar and eventually found him in the pond walking toward an alligator about 50 feet offshore. The only way to that location was through thick brush.

The deputies talked Apgar, 47, safely out of the water. He told them he had been bitten by a snake while looking for the alligator."

mbeach
03-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Thanks ...
XCEPT for mating season. well atl, that answered my question as to why he was buck naked at 4am in the water - MATING SEASON

ShamrockIV
03-08-2008, 03:23 PM
i would think in the water would be a helluva a deterent to falling!!!!

atlfootr
04-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Gator mating season getting ready to begin
http://www.myfoxorlando.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=6371610&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

uawaterskier
04-24-2008, 04:18 PM
:noface: Maybe he was looking for revenge??? :confused:

From today's Orlando Sentinel:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/southwest/orl-gator0808mar08,0,6364181.story

"He was naked. In a pond. In the dark. There were alligators.

Sound familiar?

Ask the two deputy sheriffs who found Adrian Apgar nude early Friday, wading in a Lakeland-area pond.

Apgar told the officers he was looking for an alligator.

About 15 months ago, one tried to eat him.

He made national news in November 2006 when deputies rescued him from the jaws of a huge alligator in Lake Parker. He was naked when they pulled him from the lake in east Lakeland off U.S. Highway 92.

During that attack, deputies engaged in a tug of war with the alligator.

The reptile ripped off much of Apgar's left arm and bit his back, buttocks and thigh. Apgar spent months recovering from his life-threatening injuries at Lakeland Regional Medical Center.

On Friday, Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said his deputies had once again saved Apgar's life, possibly rescuing him from another alligator attack.

About midnight Thursday, a patrol deputy spotted an unoccupied pickup truck parked near a pond at Saddle Creek Park on U.S. Highway 92 between Lakeland and Auburndale.

The deputy checked the truck's tag, and afterward, realizing Apgar owned the truck, called for another deputy familiar with the 2006 attack.

The deputies searched the park for Apgar and eventually found him in the pond walking toward an alligator about 50 feet offshore. The only way to that location was through thick brush.

The deputies talked Apgar, 47, safely out of the water. He told them he had been bitten by a snake while looking for the alligator."
crack cocanine is sure one hell of a drug...seriously the second time around I would let the gators have their way with him

trickskier
04-24-2008, 04:33 PM
Don't get in the way of this big guy.................;)

shepherd
04-24-2008, 06:45 PM
Don't get in the way of this big guy.................;)

Unless you have THIS guy with you! ;)

trickskier
04-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Unless you have THIS guy with you! ;)
That's funny Shep..................But FSU hasn't killed a Gator in 3 years......;)

roddydog
04-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Purses, shoes and wallets for all TT members!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

atlfootr
04-24-2008, 07:01 PM
That's funny Shep..................
But FSU hasn't killed a Gator in 3 years......;)I wouldn't start sound'n so joyous there Trix.
Now w/ your daughter attending, things maybe alittle different both at home and on the field :rolleyes:

trickskier
04-24-2008, 07:04 PM
Now w/ your daughter attending, things maybe alittle different both at home and on the field :rolleyes:
She say's she's wearing Orange & Blue to the FL / FSU game which will played in Tallahassee this year..............:D

shepherd
04-24-2008, 07:04 PM
That's funny Shep..................But FSU hasn't killed a Gator in 3 years......;)

Can't argue there trick! I don't have a dog in that fight. I just like to poke them a little. :D

uawaterskier
04-24-2008, 09:17 PM
She say's she's wearing Orange & Blue to the FL / FSU game which will played in Tallahassee this year..............:D
she is just telling you that so you will buy her a ticket...

mbeach
04-24-2008, 09:31 PM
now this is one big boy getting ready for his mid-afternoon snack.

atlfootr
04-25-2008, 10:17 AM
She say's she's wearing Orange & Blue to the FL / FSU game which will played in Tallahassee this year..............:DJus' alittle 'headsup' here Trix since your a newbie on FSU TURF, when you walk inside Doak Campbell Stadium your either for
one team or the other -- there ain't no for both.

atlfootr
04-25-2008, 10:35 AM
And Trix, one more thing!
DON'T START THREAD JACK"n my Alligator Sight'ns 8p

jdl xstar
04-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Here's an alligator attack database: :eek3:

http://www.sun-sentinel2.com/news/ftlaudGatorAttacks/ftlaudGatorAttacks_list.php

Karma is a b***h:

2007, Justo Anthony Padron,36, Victim was burglarizing cars at casino fleeing police. He jumped into retention pond and police warned of alligator, but too late. Victim drowned as a result of the bite.

silverblueBP
04-16-2010, 05:51 PM
Growing up in Bunnell, FL, we skied in a small (80 acre) lake that had quite a few gators. We never had any problems as long as we respected them. When we skied, they would go off into the reeds and not be seen again. We liked taking newbs out there at night and shining for eyes, it would scare the the crap outta most when they saw all those glowing eyes!!

It's nice out here in Kansas, don't have to worry about what's below you!

flya750
04-16-2010, 10:10 PM
I feel sorry for those poor gators....

atlfootr
04-17-2010, 11:35 AM
It's nice out here in Kansas, don't have to worry about what's below you!NO, you just have to worry what's com'n across the fields ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj9Y6_Ri4v0

Think I'll take the gators ...

silverblueBP
04-17-2010, 12:17 PM
NO, you just have to worry what's com'n across the fields ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj9Y6_Ri4v0

Think I'll take the gators ...

Baaaah, we need something to do when we're not AT the lake ;)

rem_pss308
04-18-2010, 10:06 AM
We have them here on the Suwannee River too. But they are not a problem.

sethro
04-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Not a problem?

It appears the rider is missing his right arm, which is confirmed in both pictures. :D

TayMC197
04-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Here's an alligator attack database: :eek3:

http://www.sun-sentinel2.com/news/ftlaudGatorAttacks/ftlaudGatorAttacks_list.php

Karma is a b***h:

2007, Justo Anthony Padron,36, Victim was burglarizing cars at casino fleeing police. He jumped into retention pond and police warned of alligator, but too late. Victim drowned as a result of the bite.

I have come to the conclusion that more people win the lottery each year than those who get attack by gators. I wish they would of posted if they lived or not.

I ski with them as well and had a few swim past me while I was floating. Never paid any mind to me and I really didn't try to get away. I figured if they wanted me, I was done. Last year I did go back at night and shoot one with a 45 and haul it back to camp with my ski rope and had a great BBQ. :D

mbpd312
04-18-2010, 07:41 PM
ATLfootr-- just skied at daisy lake a few weeks ago

timvan
04-19-2010, 08:36 AM
Its just a gator, they dont chase boats or ski's
I grew up on the palm beach canal in the early 80's and we'd often have 12' gators sunning on the banks and even in the back yard before the sea wall was installed. We were in that water every day after school then all day on the weekends. The water was more second nature to us than riding our bicycles, yes I was young...8 or 9 years old. (what where my parents thinking? Giving a kid a 19' boat and allowing him to take his friends out in gator infeasted water) Im still here and have never had to fight one for my life, maybe I dont smell like chicken tho?

I have seen them chase dogs and make a quick meal out of them though

jdl xstar
05-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Made the local news headlines the last couple days... This lake is near Orlando Int'l Airport. They caught what they believe to be the culprit gator this morning. 11' 6" gator. That dude is beyond lucky to have survived this attack.

From Orlando Sentinel http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-orlando-alligator-attack-20100517,0,6915807.story

Officials with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission today said they have not captured the alligator that clamped its jaw on a Kissimmee swimmer Sunday.

Joy Hill of the Wildlife Commission said the two baited hooks set in the area of the attack last night did not trap any alligators. Officials removed the traps this morning.

Hill said the trappers will return tonight and reset the baits.

Doug McCard, the 35-year-old man attacked by the gator, described on Sunday the moment the reptile bit him across his torso as he swam in an east Orange County lake.

"It was a real hard hit, and I felt the teeth," the triathlete-in-training told reporters during a news conference at Orlando Regional Medical Center. "I started thinking to myself, 'This is a gator. I can't believe a gator is biting me.' "

His next thought focused on survival. McCard stood up in the waist-deep water at Moss Park and started swinging.

"I got a pretty good elbow to his head, and he released me. ... I started yelling maybe to try to scare him away and backed off until I could run, and then I ran out of the water."

McCard, a sales associate at A-1 Septic in Kissimmee, suffered five puncture wounds to his right shoulder, another to his hipbone and several more on his back. Doctors wanted to keep him in the hospital overnight to ensure against infection.

The Florida native who swims in lakes throughout the area considers himself fortunate to have survived the attack in Lake Mary Jane.

"Anytime you tangle with that big of a gator, you are very lucky to come out alive," he said.

McCard said he thinks he startled the reptile — he estimated it at 8 feet to 10 feet long — and that it reacted by chomping him.

"If it was after me, it would have probably taken me under and rolled because that's what gators do," he said.

A trapper was working to catch the gator Sunday night, according to Joy Hill, a spokeswoman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

She described McCard as an "alligator-aware" person in the wrong place at the wrong time. She said what happened is rare.

"He's swam in that lake thousands of times and has never had an encounter with an alligator," Hill said. "It was just unfortunate bad timing for the alligator and the swimmer."

McCard was training for an Ironman competition this summer and triathlon in October. He swims in the lake every weekend, he said.

He hopes to continue his training soon. He said he won't hesitate getting back into the water, but it may be a bit longer before he returns to Lake Mary Jane.

Moss Park's swimming area was closed Sunday afternoon, but boaters and water-scooter users were still enjoying the water.

Will Cadiz, who was at the park with his family on water scooters, said the youngsters had looked forward to swimming.

But after they heard of the gator attack, the whole group felt a bit nervous.

"No swimming," he said. "They've got the swimming closed."

Fish and Wildlife officials say an island to one side of the park's swimming area is home to roosting birds and, often, gators.

The trapper was searching for the likely gator based on size and behavior. Even so, it's difficult to tell whether a particular gator was involved in the attack.

"You're not ever going to be 100 percent sure," Hill said.

Kyle
05-18-2010, 06:00 PM
They need to let the man who was chomped take the meat off of the gator and have the thing taken to a taxidermist and mounted. He then could put it up in his garage as a trophy of winning the one on one battle.

SkiDog
05-18-2010, 06:15 PM
That is (was) a very old gator. Not many teeth left.

atlfootr
06-24-2010, 11:13 AM
Gator attack: Man 'nailed in neck,' 911 caller says
http://www.foxreno.com/pets/23996455/detail.html

June 23, 2010
By Susan Jacobson and Anika Myers Palm,
Orlando Sentinel

A man bitten on the neck by an 11 1/2-foot alligator suffered cuts, bruises and a fractured jaw in the attack Tuesday at the Silver Springs attraction in Ocala. Peter Butt, 54, of High Springs was recovering Wednesday at Shands Hospital in Gainesville.

A Shands spokeswoman said he was in good condition. Butt, an environmental consultant, was snorkeling in a canal to monitor the flow of water just after 5 p.m. Tuesday when the 500-pound-plus gator clamped down on his neck.
He escaped the jaws and was able to swim to safety.

One of Butt's co-workers, who used a cell phone to call for help, told a 911 dispatcher that Butt had been "nailed in the neck" by the gator. At one point, as the gator apparently swims by, the co-worker exclaims, "That's a big alligator."
The co-worker remained on the line with dispatchers until a rescue crew arrived.
Emergency workers from Marion County Fire Rescue treated Butt, who was flown by helicopter to Shands.

A trapper snared the gator, which was euthanzied. It weighed 525 pounds, said Joy Hill, a spokeswoman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. The attack did not happen in the areas commonly seen by visitors to the attraction, which is best-known for its clear water and glass-bottom boats.

Butt and his family have declined to speak with reporters. He is operations manager for Karst Environmental Services, which does scientific investigations of springs, sinkholes and rivers.

Susan Jacobson can be reached at 407-540-5981 or sjacobson@orlandosentinel.com.
Anika Myers Palm can be reached at 407-420-5022 or apalm@orlandosentinel.com.

TayMC197
06-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Gator attack: Man 'nailed in neck,' 911 caller says
http://www.foxreno.com/pets/23996455/detail.html

June 23, 2010
By Susan Jacobson and Anika Myers Palm,
Orlando Sentinel

A man bitten on the neck by an 11 1/2-foot alligator suffered cuts, bruises and a fractured jaw in the attack Tuesday at the Silver Springs attraction in Ocala. Peter Butt, 54, of High Springs was recovering Wednesday at Shands Hospital in Gainesville.

A Shands spokeswoman said he was in good condition. Butt, an environmental consultant, was snorkeling in a canal to monitor the flow of water just after 5 p.m. Tuesday when the 500-pound-plus gator clamped down on his neck.
He escaped the jaws and was able to swim to safety.

One of Butt's co-workers, who used a cell phone to call for help, told a 911 dispatcher that Butt had been "nailed in the neck" by the gator. At one point, as the gator apparently swims by, the co-worker exclaims, "That's a big alligator."
The co-worker remained on the line with dispatchers until a rescue crew arrived.
Emergency workers from Marion County Fire Rescue treated Butt, who was flown by helicopter to Shands.

A trapper snared the gator, which was euthanzied. It weighed 525 pounds, said Joy Hill, a spokeswoman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. The attack did not happen in the areas commonly seen by visitors to the attraction, which is best-known for its clear water and glass-bottom boats.

Butt and his family have declined to speak with reporters. He is operations manager for Karst Environmental Services, which does scientific investigations of springs, sinkholes and rivers.

Susan Jacobson can be reached at 407-540-5981 or sjacobson@orlandosentinel.com.
Anika Myers Palm can be reached at 407-420-5022 or apalm@orlandosentinel.com.

Can't believe they killed the gator. He could of killed the guy if he wanted. Just shows the gators don't really want ya. Don't snorkle next to gators is my best advice.

oldairboater
06-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Gators everywhere down here. Rule of thumb--don't feed and don't pet. Watch your little kids and dogs. Tie chickens to ex-wives. Just kidding--everybody likes chicken. A sin to waste good chicken.

Davo
06-24-2010, 04:51 PM
Gators everywhere down here. Rule of thumb--don't feed and don't pet. Watch your little kids and dogs. Tie chickens to ex-wives. Just kidding--everybody likes chicken. A sin to waste good chicken.

LOL good advice....instead of wasting chicken try beef lung. :D

I was reading that article today at lunch that Atlfooter posted. The dude sounds incredibly lucky. Under the picture in the paper they said they "euthanized" the gator. Sure they did...just like when you take Buster to the vet to be put down nice and "humanely"...the truth is far too alarming. P.C. = :rolleyes:

I'm putting peta brand karma to test down here. I hunt gators on the same river I ski.

This one from last year was just over 10'. Gator bites anyone?

psychobilly
06-25-2010, 03:48 AM
here's ya one from down under. Well, a lil more aggressive version, a croc! eating a SHARK!!!!

jdl xstar
07-13-2010, 04:30 PM
7/12/2010 - Orlando Sentinel http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-florida-alligator-attack-20100712,0,4177081.story

NAPLES, Fla. (AP) — A man is hospitalized in southwest Florida after an alligator bit off his left hand.

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission spokeswoman Gabriella Ferraro says 18-year-old Timothy Delano of Naples was swimming with three friends in a Collier County canal around 9:30 p.m. Sunday when the alligator attacked.

The men swam to shore and drove to a gas station, where they called 911.

A helicopter flew Delano to a Fort Myers hospital.

Ferraro says the 10-foot-2-inch alligator was captured. The hand was retrieved from its stomach and flown to the hospital.

Wildlife officials advise people to stay out of freshwater canals and lakes this time of year because alligators are more active, especially around dawn and dusk.

Copyright © 2010, Orlando Sentinel

Hoosier Bob
07-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Was it his hand?;)7/12/2010 - Orlando Sentinel http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-florida-alligator-attack-20100712,0,4177081.story

NAPLES, Fla. (AP) — A man is hospitalized in southwest Florida after an alligator bit off his left hand.

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission spokeswoman Gabriella Ferraro says 18-year-old Timothy Delano of Naples was swimming with three friends in a Collier County canal around 9:30 p.m. Sunday when the alligator attacked.

The men swam to shore and drove to a gas station, where they called 911.

A helicopter flew Delano to a Fort Myers hospital.

Ferraro says the 10-foot-2-inch alligator was captured. The hand was retrieved from its stomach and flown to the hospital.

Wildlife officials advise people to stay out of freshwater canals and lakes this time of year because alligators are more active, especially around dawn and dusk.

Copyright © 2010, Orlando Sentinel

TX.X-30 fan
07-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Was it his hand?;)

They are not sure yet it was approximately 6 inches long and unrecognizable. Authorities said it had a stainless ring attached????????

Hoosier Bob
07-14-2010, 10:32 PM
A piercing or......?They are not sure yet it was approximately 6 inches long and unrecognizable. Authorities said it had a stainless ring attached????????