PDA

View Full Version : Still waterskiing at 80

Wes
05-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Friday, May 19, 2006, from our local paper:

Most people would spend their 80th birthday relaxing, or maybe eating a bit of cake, or even opening a few gifts. But not Wally Giebelhaus. He spent his 80th birthday doing what he loves best, gliding down Wood Lake behind a speed boat as it races across the water. For many Giebelhaus proves what passion can do. He has been waterskiing since his 20s and he's participated and won so many waterskiing competitions that he can't remember them all. His hobby has helped him maintain an active, healthy lifestyle. Gielbelhaus has been waterskiing for 60 years, starting out humbly on a pair of skis he made from a Sitka spruce tree and a harness he designed out of an inner tube. Gielbelhaus currently holds the Canadian record in the men's 9 (?) slalom... His most preferred style of skiing is slalom...Riding on two skis is a lot easier than one, he said, so he tries to retain his form and strenght by sticking to one ski. "Skiing on slalom is lot tougher," he said. "You have to work hard to make the turns, which is a lot harder than going straight along the water." Although he admits that as he's gotten older, taking a spill can be little more painful, the aches haven't hampered his desire to strap on his skis. "It gets tougher and I can't go as fast," he said. "But it still feels good."

There is a great picture of him taking a sharp turn with the article.

Eastie: You have a lot more years ahead of you... :)

atlfootr
05-20-2006, 12:13 PM
Wally Giebelhaus, spent his 80th birthday doing what he loves best, gliding down Wood Lake behind a speed boat as it races across the water.Banana George turned 91, 01/22/06.
Banana George (http://www.bananageorge.com/)

Wes
05-20-2006, 12:36 PM
All those guys are amazing.

atlfootr
05-20-2006, 01:30 PM
All those guys are amazing.No dout ...
you can also add me too, when I reach that age :dance:

jake
05-20-2006, 08:31 PM
My neighbor is 83...still skis the course. His wife is 80, she took the year off from the course last year due to knee replacement surgery, she still free skied though. She'll be back in the buoys this year. And they recently bought a new Natique, so I'm guessing they're planning on a few more years.

Oh yeah, and they are downhill ski instructors at a local hill in the winter.

They set the bar...hope I can follow their example.