PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Pass and GPS

ski_king
10-08-2004, 10:41 AM
Even though I replaced both my Airguide speedometers 3 years ago, I have about had it with them. They seem to be plugged and not working 75% of the time.
I have been thinking of adding Perfect Pass to my boat this off season. I have also heard alot about the GPS speedometers.
What would be the best route for me to go with?
Perfect Pass with the paddle wheel?
Perfect Pass w/o paddle wheel and GPS?
Or both?

I do a little of everything with my boat from skiing the slalom course to beginner wakeboarding.

Before and after.

G-man
10-08-2004, 10:47 AM
Perfect Pass with paddle wheel is the only way to go. Perfect pass does not communicate with a gps to set speed. You can use a gps to do your baseline settings if you dont have a course to get dailed in on. Perfect Pass recommends for speeds faster that 26 to use the rpm mode and slower to use the paddle wheel. It is the best money you can spend on an accessory for your boat.

John B
10-08-2004, 11:06 AM
Get a PerfectPass DigitalPro, it is the only way to go.
The DigitalPro 6.5 version has both Rpm mode for course sking and the Wakeboard mode.The wakebord mode is the same as the Wakebord Pro. :D

east tx skier
10-08-2004, 11:33 AM
If you're really fed up with your airguides and money is no object, I'd say go for both. The PP display will replace your righthand Airguide and, assuming you get digital pro, will go to the paddlewheel. Why not replace the other side with a GPS speedo. At least with 6.4, you have to have a course to set the speedo (even if you set the baselines with the GPS you cannot update the speedo). With 6.5 I think you can do it with a handheld GPS and update the speedo.

If you haven't replaced your pickups with the replacements form skidim, I hear they're better about not clogging, although they don't match the hole pattern of the original.

LakeLottawatta
10-08-2004, 11:40 AM
I replaced my Tach with the PP since the PP has the digital tach built in. I kept my airguides and have cut down on the clogs by using the venturi style pickups. I went from one clog a day to only a few a season by using the venturi's. On the GPS, it is a cool gadget, but a WOM in my opinion. Go for the perfect pass or accuski!
:twocents:

east tx skier
10-08-2004, 11:53 AM
I'd add that you can buy a handheld GPS for about $99. These have digital speedos in them accurate to +/-.5 mph. They fit nicely in cupholders.

ski_king
10-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Thanks for all the input.

It looks like PerfectPass Digital Pro with the paddlewheel is the way to go.

Since Money is an object, I will probably not go with the GPS speedometer. I do like Dougís idea of the $99 handheld though.

Since I have only skied behind a boat equipped with Perfect Pass, but never driven one, I have some questions.
1. I assume the speed control is like the cruise control on a car and touching the throttle will disengage it. My 14 and 17 year old daughters are my drivers and while they are quite good drivers, I donít want it to get to confusing for them.
2. When not skiing, can the Perfect Pass display the speed?
3. I understand it will also display the water temperature, is that correct?

Now a few questions should I also decide to go with the GPS.
1. Can the pickup be mounted on the dash under the windshield? The little I have used one tells me it must be mounted on to of the windshield or some other area with out an overhead obstruction.
2. The slalom course I use is located near a bridge, the boat passes under the bridge, just before the entrance gate. I assume this will screw up the GPS. How long does it take to recover after passing under a bridge?

Ric
10-08-2004, 01:07 PM
when I installed PP and set the baselines, it was all new to me so I was leary of it's accuracy. I carried the handheld gps in the boat for a few weeks and PP is DEAD ON
Best $ you can spend on your boat.

NeilM
10-08-2004, 01:26 PM
PP

1. The PP is something like the cruise in a car. When the speed / rpm falls out of the selected range, it will "let go". If you simply 'touch' the throttle, it won't (no equivalent to tapping the brakes)... Just make sure your daughters know that 'they're the boss of the throttle' and if the PP wants to kick back in, they just need to pull the throttle back to / toward neutral. Kids take to this stuff like ducks to water..

2. Yes. Or RPM, water temp, batt volts, or hours - your choice.

3. Yes on Wakeboard Pro and Digital Pro.. I doubt it on PP Cruise...

Like everyone else, I also suggest getting the PP. In my opinion, they make your boat safer (you can spend more time watching where others are vs. watching the speedo), and they pay for themselves in 'significant other argument avoidance' the first time you use it.

GPS
1. It'd probably work.. the fewer obstructions the better. Way up here north of the 49th, GPSes get increasingly finicky. Check with the manuf of the unit you're considering

2. Another question for the manuf..

east tx skier
10-08-2004, 04:54 PM
1. As pulling skiers goes, once the control is set, it's no different. Apply throttle to pull the skier up. Reduce it to slow the boat. So long as the RPMs are not equal to or greater than the designated RPM, the PP will not engage.

2. Yes. However, be careful not to accidentilly run in slalom mode if you are free skiing. Without being able to detect magnets or take signals from the hand timer, the speedo calculations will be reset (at least in 6.4).

3. Yes. Press Menu and ^ and you will get the temperature, and other neat things. The temperature guage is in the paddlewheel so you'll have to have digital pro or wakeboard pro to use this feature.

As for GPS, I have no idea. I've not lost my signal on the lake yet. It's useful for locating the slalom course sub-buoys, too.