PDA

View Full Version : Stabilizer Fins

ajgressette
05-20-2006, 05:11 AM
I hit another stump today! Any suggestions on how to straighten this stabilizer fin? I thought about heating it with a torch but was worried the heat might transfer into the gelcoat and cause it to blister. Pulling on it may cause it to snap off. :confused:

ski_king
05-20-2006, 06:14 AM
If it was mine, I would take it off and then heat it and use a hammer and anvil to try to straighten it.

88 PS190
05-20-2006, 06:24 AM
yish, i'd stay out of those stumps.

I think you'll have to pull it, and then realign afterwards.

ajgressette
05-20-2006, 07:02 AM
Its on one of the outboard boats. The floor will have to come up and then take the gas tank out of the boat to get to the bolts on the other side. Uggggggg!!!! :mad:

H20skeefreek
05-20-2006, 08:08 AM
aj, do you know the guys at skips propellers in Charleston? Give them a call and see what they say. They work with brass all the time repairing propellers, and they may have some knowledge that they can share with you. Maybe they could even fix it on the boat.

I agree with you, I'd be hesistant to heat it, and trying to straighten it on the boat could break it off or end up breaking the gelcoat. You could always cut the bent part off and hope that it doesn't affect the tracking too much???

Hoosier Bob
05-20-2006, 11:30 AM
I would replace. Fix yours off the boat and keep for a spare. I think they are very reasonably priced. My entire strut with bearing was only around $120. :twocents:

rem_pss308
06-25-2006, 08:01 AM
I hit another stump today! Any suggestions on how to straighten this stabilizer fin? I thought about heating it with a torch but was worried the heat might transfer into the gelcoat and cause it to blister. Pulling on it may cause it to snap off. :confused:

Hey ajgressette,
How did you repair it. I hit some rocks this weekend, and mine needs straightening. I will probably pull mine of and heat it.
Anyone know the price of new ones?

TMCNo1
06-25-2006, 09:15 AM
MasterCraft, SKIDIM and Elberts have replacement underwater gear.

SKI*MC
06-25-2006, 09:51 PM
I would be worried about causing damage to the hull when trying to pound it out while it is still attatched to the hull.

coreman
06-26-2006, 09:54 AM
We did the same thing on an x2 this weekend. Has anyone replaced the front fin on an x2 or know how difficult it is going to be?