PDA

View Full Version : Another Carb Thread HELP!!!

brianaw26
05-19-2006, 10:07 PM
Ok... in the process of restoring my boat. The carburetor was on the list. I got the 4160 renew kit and it took me about 3 hours to complete the renew. Not to bad.... Or so I thought.

After I reconnected the wires to the engine, and get a new battery. I started it up. As soon as I saw fuel in the filter it started no problem. It idled a little high but that is an easy fix. I stopped the engine and looked down the carburetor. The secondarys were soaked and there is no way they should have been, also I noticed a leak by the fuel hose. Tightened up the hose and tried it again to see what was up. It ran for about 15 seconds, and I saw fuel pouring into the secondarys. Stopped the engine and then there was fuel pouring out onto the engine from the primary side (it looked to be coming from under the place where the float is). All the gaskets were replaced and I took great care to make sure that there was no old gasket left and the surfaces were clean. Ideas? This sucks. I wanted to go out and test this weekend. HELP!!!

Hoosier Bob
05-19-2006, 10:27 PM
I rebuilt my old CC carb and ran into the same problem. Secondaries loading up and black smoke all over the river. On water I readjusted the secondary float with the set screw and lock nut. Obviously be careful. It won't take too much of an adjustment and you will see the gas spewing! Back it off from there a tad as I did and it worked very well for me for years. Assuming you set to level you can't be that far off. As I remember it took very little to send send too much so a very little adjustment is probably all you need. :D
Good luck!
PS I don't get gas being on the primary side? Are you sure it it the larger side of the airhorn? If so you may want to check both float settings. Loosen lock nut and turn until fuel trickles over the threads of the sight hole. I believe if they are too high you will have fuel running out and onto the engine.

Ok... in the process of restoring my boat. The carburetor was on the list. I got the 4160 renew kit and it took me about 3 hours to complete the renew. Not to bad.... Or so I thought.

After I reconnected the wires to the engine, and get a new battery. I started it up. As soon as I saw fuel in the filter it started no problem. It idled a little high but that is an easy fix. I stopped the engine and looked down the carburetor. The secondarys were soaked and there is no way they should have been, also I noticed a leak by the fuel hose. Tightened up the hose and tried it again to see what was up. It ran for about 15 seconds, and I saw fuel pouring into the secondarys. Stopped the engine and then there was fuel pouring out onto the engine from the primary side (it looked to be coming from under the place where the float is). All the gaskets were replaced and I took great care to make sure that there was no old gasket left and the surfaces were clean. Ideas? This sucks. I wanted to go out and test this weekend. HELP!!!

brianaw26
05-19-2006, 11:05 PM
Would I need to back the screw out or put it in to lower the gas level? I will try

How would gas get out of a carb and onto the engine? Even if the level is high where would the gas come out?

Hoosier Bob
05-19-2006, 11:28 PM
You will see when you start adjusting! There was a horn/pipe sticking straight up and it would shoot out of it! I am guessing clockwise to lower and counter to raise. If you see fuel reverse your direction. Gat the boat out in the open and it should olny take a couple of minutes. If you have to get a book from the local auto parts store. ;) Would I need to back the screw out or put it in to lower the gas level? I will try

How would gas get out of a carb and onto the engine? Even if the level is high where would the gas come out?

brianaw26
05-19-2006, 11:41 PM
thanks for the quick help. Ill try it first thing tomorrow morning and let you know how it goes.......

Hoosier Bob
05-19-2006, 11:59 PM
I will be at work but I will also be on the thread. I will take my books in case you have any questions.
See yah!

brianaw26
05-20-2006, 02:10 PM
Ok. I got the leaking stopped. There was a vacuum connection under the primary float and it was leaking out all the gas when the engine stopped. Plugged that up.

I lowered the float level in the secondarys and the primarys and it runs now ok. How do I check the fuel level? Do I do it when the engine is running? If I do that wont fuel pour out?

It idles at like 2500-3000 now and the mixture screws are in almost all the way. What now? I think that the secondarys are opening a little and still letting air and fuel in. I was going to wait till the butterflies dry out. And try it again to see if there is a lot of fuel going in there at idle.

Maybe I should just take it in to a place that can tune it up for me

Hunterb
05-23-2006, 01:23 AM
I would think that things are out of adjustment on the carb at this point. You set the float level on a 4160 by removing and inverting the float boal and setting the float so it is level with the 'bottom' of the bowl. You need to make sure the secondary throttle plate is closed at idle. To adjust if you have to remove the carb and use a skinny screwdriver to turn the stop screw in so the plates are closed at idle. The mixture screws are adjusted by screwing them all the way in and then backing them out 1 1/2 turns. If you do those three things the carb should work O.K. provided everything else is correct. The other thing that gets messed up easily is the clearance between the accelerator pump arm and the cam on the throttle shaft. There should be about ten thousands clearance when the throttle is on it's stop.

Make sure that stuff is all correct and see how it runs.

Post back and let us know the results.

Hope that helps.

Bruce