PDA

View Full Version : Re-carpet

wesgardner
10-08-2004, 09:28 AM
Hey All,

I've searched....

My specific question deals with the edge of the carpet up front - mine is bound/finished from the factory...how have others dealt with this when recarpeting...there's no way to hide the edge as it just butts to the fiberglass upright which is the "kick space" for the seating...yes, you'll see it....someone suggested using heat and sort of melting the edge carefully like you do with synthetic line??

Wes

Jorski
10-08-2004, 09:50 AM
Wes,

You can dryfit the carpet prior to installation. Once you have it trimmed to fit, find a place that sells area rugs and custom carpets, they will have somemone that can sew binding on the edge for you. It comes in a huge assortment of colours and materials. You can also choose different widths for the edging material.

This option will not be very expensive and will give you the factory look that you mentioned. You might also try calling around to some automotive interior trim shops, they often apply edge binding to custom floor mats.

The edge binding is solely cosmetic, there is such a thing as carpet edge glue that gets applied to the base of the carpet fibres where they meet the backing material in order to stop the edges from fraying. I am sure you could get the glue from any carpet suplier.

wesgardner
10-08-2004, 10:55 AM
Hey Jorski,

Great info...thank you, sir...

Wes