PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light and buzzer

BeavenX5
05-19-2006, 11:45 AM
I just got my boat fixed at the dealer: Check engine buzzer was unplugged :eek: . Now that it is plugged back, the buzzer goes off together with the check engine ligtht evertime I turn the ignition key on and for about 2 seconds after engine is started. I am being told this is normal as the oil pressure needs to build-up and the sensor is sending a warning signal until there is enough pressure.
This is anoying as the buzzer is quite loud. Is everyone else here with the 2000 Predator engine have the same buzzer everytime you start your engine. If yes, what have you done about it?
I have friends with 2000 Bu and 1994 and 1995 M/C and they don't have that buzzer upon start-up.
I know this if for safety of the engine but I am considering mufflering the buzzer partially with some tape as I am not crazy about warning everyone around me that I am about to start my engine. :rolleyes:

thanks for your input.

G-man
05-19-2006, 12:15 PM
Duct tape is your friend

TMCNo1
05-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Much like modern car or truck, the engine computer does a check on all systems in starting and the buzzer is on a boat because, the boat is open and stereos are playing, people are talking, and there is additional outside noises creating a distraction from your gauges.

TMCNo1
05-19-2006, 12:22 PM
Duct tape is your friend

Depends on what brand of boat you own, right G-man?

G-man
05-19-2006, 12:59 PM
thats why I suggested duct tape, I don't own any duct tape, I use shrink wrap tape. no telling what kind of damage could have gone undetected till it was to late due to the servicing dealer leaving that warning buzzer unhooked

BeavenX5
05-19-2006, 01:02 PM
So you are telling me that all recent boats have this warning buzzer telling your neighbours you are about to start your engine?

airwear
05-19-2006, 01:09 PM
I have the same noise with my 2000 Prostar - LTR engine. I hate that noise, but was told it was normal operation.

TMCNo1
05-19-2006, 08:08 PM
So you are telling me that all recent boats have this warning buzzer telling your neighbours you are about to start your engine?

They might prefer hearing it, rather that listening to the story about how you had no oil pressure and wasn't watching your gauges with the buzzer unhooked and the motor seized up and how much $ it cost you and all the lost water time, etc. If you look at your gauges when the buzzer sounds, then everything is working as it was designed. You should also have a buzzer for the engine temperature, go ahead and disconnect or muffle it too!

JimN
05-19-2006, 09:18 PM
What's the difference if it lets your neighbors know you're going to start the motor? It's not loud enough to be annoying at a distance and if you muffle it, there's a good chance that you won't hear it when you really need to. Better to be annoying for a few seconds than have a major problem and not know about it.

When I initially got involved with Team Talk, I was just reading the posts and seeing what was happening with people's boats. The first one I responded to was about someone who was annoyed with their buzzer and when I saw someone recommend disconnecting it, I felt that I had to comment. It's supposed to get your attention and if there's a problem you need to shut it down immediately. If you tape it up, don't hear it because of the tape and your motor takes a squat, your warranty will probably be void. That's an unauthorized modification and they have the right to void it.

sprink
05-20-2006, 08:15 PM
I have an LTR 1999 Sport Star. I don't have a buzzer sounding or a check engine light when I first turn on the key. i pulled the dash and powered up the light to make sure it wasn't burned out. It was fine and all the wires under the dash were hooked up (not cut or disconnected). Where would an obvious place be that someone disconnected the check engine light? I think I would like the reassurance of the buzzer and light. I don't care what the neighbors think.

JimN
05-21-2006, 02:40 AM
There were some boats that had been mis-wired from the factory (either Indmar or MC did it). If you go to the boat harness at the right rear of the motor, make sure all of the pins on one side are aligned with another pin. If you don't find anything quickly, post what you find and I'll look in my notes from training classes..

sprink
05-21-2006, 06:16 PM
JimN,
i took some pics to show you the back portion of the boat where I am assuming you are talking about. I did find a pair of wires not connected to anything, but don't know if that's tha location you are talking about.

I did not see any other obvious loose or disconnected wires. Any help would be appreciated. thanks!

sprink
05-21-2006, 06:19 PM
Here are the pictures again...

JimN
05-21-2006, 08:49 PM
If you look at the first photo, there's a round connector below the DLC (data link connector) and that's the boat harness plug. Make sure it's plugged in completely. That being loose could cause the problem.