PDA

View Full Version : XM under fire

Ric
05-19-2006, 11:11 AM
The following was emailed to me yesterday:

Statement to XM Subscribers - The XM Nation

Everything we've done at XM since our first minute on the air is about giving you more choices. We provide more channels and music programming than any other network. We play all the music you want to hear including the artists you want to hear but can't find on traditional FM radio. And we offer the best radios with the features you want for your cars, homes, and all places in between.

We've developed new radios -- the Inno, Helix and NeXus -- that take innovation to the next level in a totally legal way. Like TiVo, these devices give you the ability to enjoy the sports, talk and music programming whenever you want. And because they are portable, you can enjoy XM wherever you want.

The music industry wants to stop your ability to choose when and where you can listen. Their lawyers have filed a meritless lawsuit to try and stop you from enjoying these radios.

They don't get it. These devices are clearly legal. Consumers have enjoyed the right to tape off the air for their personal use for decades, from reel-to-reel and the cassette to the VCR and TiVo.

Our new radios complement download services, they don't replace them. If you want a copy of a song to transfer to other players or burn onto CDs, we make it easy for you to buy them through XM + Napster.

Satellite radio subscribers like you are law-abiding music consumers; a portion of your subscriber fee pays royalties directly to artists. Instead of going after pirates who don't pay a cent, the record labels are attacking the radios used for the enjoyment of music by consumers like you. It's misguided and wrong.

We will vigorously defend these radios and your right to enjoy them in court and before Congress, and we expect to win.

Thank you for your support.

Copyright 2006. XM Satellite Radio. All Rights Reserved. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

shepherd
05-19-2006, 11:17 AM
Copyright 2006. XM Satellite Radio. All Rights Reserved. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

They copyrighted their news release??? :rolleyes:

(Now their copyright is infringed...)

Ric
05-19-2006, 11:18 AM
They copyrighted their news release??? :rolleyes:

(Now their copyright is infringed...)
:eek: .

mgurley
05-19-2006, 11:29 AM
I hope they go out of bussiness...Terrible Customer Service...

Byrdman
05-19-2006, 11:56 AM

I have had just the opposite experience. Any issues have always been resolved with one call to the customer service line. I have XM in my truck and I bought a second receiver that goes in my house and in the boat.

What is happening is that the music companies have a "stiff one" for recording music digitally, where they never had an issue with analog recording because of the quality was inferior. Fact is that the music industry is loosing money because people are tired of spending $17-$20 for a CD that should cost around $10. IMO, its not the artists that are getting screwed, its the executives having to "cut back" on the corporate perks. Anyway XM is out with new recievers that record the feed so you can play it back later when you are not outside, ie gym, etc.

Cloaked
05-19-2006, 03:46 PM
Excellent service from XM.

Thanks for the wishes of them going out of business. I'll hum to myself... :confused:

Ric
05-19-2006, 03:47 PM
uhgff don't say that!! Unless you are going to sing for me..

mgurley
05-19-2006, 03:58 PM
Maybe I just had a bad experience???But boy was it bad!!! Ended up cancelling my sub. that I have had with them forever!

Leroy
05-19-2006, 04:17 PM
They need to work with hollywood, contrast this to Apple and the music you can get for your Ipod. XM isn't offering the industry anything.

It's not nice to get in a battle with hollywood when you are making your living off their songs......

BuoyChaser
05-19-2006, 04:44 PM
They need to work with hollywood, contrast this to Apple and the music you can get for your Ipod. XM isn't offering the industry anything.

It's not nice to get in a battle with hollywood when you are making your living off their songs......
couldn't have said it better myself...i'd rather have my iPod anyday over Xm...only thing nice about XM is randomness and newness but no user friendly features...

Ric
05-19-2006, 04:51 PM

I'm gonna end up singing to myself :noface:

Hoosier Bob
05-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Sirius all the way! Sunday ticket so I can be on the boat listening to my Dolfins get beat rather than wasting my day at home! ;) XM ignorant so i do not know!

Ric
05-19-2006, 06:20 PM
Sirius all the way! Sunday ticket so I can be on the boat listening to my Dolfins get beat rather than wasting my day at home! ;) XM ignorant so i do not know!
I have both, they are about the same actually. way more channels than you can listen to for sure!

quincyfirefighter
05-19-2006, 09:48 PM
Have had great service from XM. Both in the boat and at home. The wife loves it also to the point that she got her bank branch to pay for XM for the back ground music. :cool:

quincyfirefighter
05-19-2006, 09:54 PM
I'm gonna end up singing to myself :noface:
OK Ric I'm not singing to Ya but at Ya.. I'm clearing my throat :guitar: Come on just give me a chance!!!!. Oh man I suck :eek3: Think I'll leave the singing to UMP. Leather pants and all :worthy:

quincyfirefighter
05-19-2006, 10:00 PM
But if you love the American Game and apple pie than you need XM :headbang:

mitch
05-20-2006, 10:21 AM
Love XM, nothing but good service.....

Farmer Ted
05-20-2006, 11:24 AM
The fact that the RIAA wants $150,000 per customer per downloaded song is ridiculous.

Sirius has already been sued and settled with the RIAA for their MP3/download songs player, I believe this lawsuit is a shot across XMs bow to bully them into a settlement (RIAA is probably hoping for a bigger settlement)

If I understand this new device correctly, one is not able (yet) to transfer the music from the player to a computer. I'm sure someone will come up with a program to be able to do this.

How's it different if I get my Roady2 home kit and line-in into my computer and copy the music that way?

When/if XM hits $15 I'm backing up the dump truck and buying as much as I can

I think the best thing XM has done is syndicate O&A and Bob Edwards just another stream of revenue.