PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank Vent

sfitzgerald351
05-19-2006, 10:26 AM
How are the air vents for the gas tank supposed to work? I've noticed over the past year or so that on my 84 S&S that on hot days or when I bump the boat in the driveway a bit of fuel spills out of the vent. Is there supposed to be a float or something that prevents sloshing fuel from coming out, but lets the air out? I wonder if I have fuel sloshing out when I'm bumping around the lake (might explain the 7 gallons I used on our last 30 minute outing)?

It's not much in the driveway, there was a small damp spot about 6" in dia under the boat, but it does leave a mark down the hull and the area smells of gas which isn't fun. Unlike some of the newer boats I've never had it come out of the vent when I'm fueling it. Just after it has sat in the driveway for a while. I usually fill the tank until the nozzle clicks off then stop.

Thoughts?

TMCNo1
05-19-2006, 11:30 AM
Don't fill up on the way from the lake, do it on the way to the lake, the gas you put in is cooler than the gas and the air temp and is expanding in the tank and coming out the vent. We learned the hard way. If you fill up on the way, when you get to the water and run the boat you are burning off gas as it expands and it won't come out the vent.

tph
05-19-2006, 11:35 AM
My '83 used to do the same thing. I installed one of these. It's not perfect, but it has almost eliminated the problem.

http://overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=34681&fcat=

sfitzgerald351
05-20-2006, 02:22 PM
Cool. Thanks. I'd never thought about filling up on the way to the lake. I would worry about condensation in the gas tank though with more air space. I think I'll put one of those fuel spill thingys' on and then just not fill up the tank quite full.

Thrall
05-22-2006, 11:03 AM
Yea, get one of those fuel spill thingys form SkiDim. Put one on mine, no more gas coming out the vent hole.