PDA

View Full Version : Is it Ignorance or Arrogance?

shepherd
05-19-2006, 12:33 AM
We were skiing the course tonight, and had our little section of the lake to ourselves... until these guys wakeboarding decided to cruise up and down and around the ski course where we were, while we were still out there :mad: . The lake is big enough that this wasn't the only calm/glassy spot, so why would they pick this place? It was obvious that we were out there skiing the course.

Now I know (or at least hope) that you wakeboarding TMC guys wouldn't do this, would you??? Were these guys just ignorant of common courtesy or were they just looking for a fight? I wanted to go "introduce" myself to them but I was just a guest - on my buddy's boat, skiing on his course.

Again, we were the only two boats out there so it wasn't like it was a crowded day on the lake.

Sorry for the rant, but I got in another poll! Like it UMP? :banana:

6ballsisall
05-19-2006, 12:35 AM
Bet they owned a Moomba! :rolleyes: Just kidding.

Thats pretty inconsiderate!

peason
05-19-2006, 12:38 AM
That sucks. May answer is to talk to them and ask them to move - hopefully that would be the end of it.

shepherd
05-19-2006, 12:42 AM
Yeah, that's actually what I wanted to do, but I was just a passenger. Actually, these guys have done this a few times before (several times according to my buddy). Someone probably just needs to talk to them nicely and unless they are total dildos, they should agree to move.

ajgressette
05-19-2006, 01:06 AM
I really can not think of anything that makes me angrier than this. Its almost like they have some form of Clinical Ignorance. And it is severely contagious on the lake. Asking them to share the lake is a joke. You get a look like a monkey looking at a math problem. I wish I had some kind of miniature torpedo built into bow of my boat! :D

88 PS190
05-19-2006, 01:27 AM
Get your boat up to speed and keep pulling in front of them and then do big hard turns.

Throw huge rollers, do power turns.

In the end both of you get crap water.

Or you can shoot the flare gun at them... that should get their attention.

My worst was when we were cruising w/ me on the line and a wakeboarder who had been getting in finally gets situated and they pull up, our driver had to cut hard right, i got pounded going through them riding the ski flat.

Then the guy fell, not 100 feet later. They pulled in front of us for a newb rider, probably his first time, when they could have just let him sit it out.

AZHAWK
05-19-2006, 02:13 AM
I hate when that happens! Last summer, we were at our local spot when about 5 Carver 35' type yachts cruised by at 10 mph on their way to the cove to anchor and drink beer. ('bout the only thing you can do in those barges!) They not only ruined the glass that we had that morning they had they nerve to honk their horns and wave!! Either completely clueless or just being a$$h.les. Anyway, they damn near capsized the 197 we were in almost drown the guy in the water with their five foot wakes! My point... Idiots come in all forms! I'd be willing to bet the guys wakeboarding around your slalom course were riding in an older runabout with a home-made wakeboard tower added. They had just sold their sea-doos and were stoked to move up to the status of "Real Boater" or so they thought! My experience is that most folks that have an ACTUAL wakeboard boats are more considerate since they probably grew up H20 skiing and still do on occasion. They know the importance water conditions and respect the space of other boaters/skiers/boarders because they ARE skiers/boarders. No different than the boater that has no respect for the fisherman (I am) that are out earlier than we are and get distroyed by boats and their wakes no matter what they are riding in or on. Some folks are just plain uneducated, I guess. The only thing we can do is bring 'em up to speed on lake rules and common courtesy. :twocents:

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-19-2006, 08:48 AM
Personally, if I were wakeboarding where there was a course and some slalom dawgs came in, I would stop or go find other water.
In fact, in Columbus there is a reservoir that has a general 'ski' area and another area (just past a no wake zone) that has a slalom course. Even tho the general ski area may be crowded and blown up, the slalom area remains untouched.
I don't think it matters what sport. I think it just boils down to people being ignorant and/or inconsiderate.

Farmer Ted
05-19-2006, 09:02 AM
get your course designated/posted "no wake zone"

the course at Lake Greeson is like this,

people tool up to the bouy turn around and leave confused when they see a ski boat pulling a skier hauling @ss into the NO WAKE ZONE

michael freeman
05-19-2006, 09:50 AM
I would assume they are Ignorant. If there are other areas on the lake with calm/glassy areas, I would point them out to them. If for some reason those areas are already over crowded, I would expect to take turns in this area.

Is there a reason why you wouldn't take turns in the above case?

We were skiing the course tonight, and had our little section of the lake to ourselves... until these guys wakeboarding decided to cruise up and down and around the ski course where we were, while we were still out there :mad: . The lake is big enough that this wasn't the only calm/glassy spot, so why would they pick this place? It was obvious that we were out there skiing the course.

Now I know (or at least hope) that you wakeboarding TMC guys wouldn't do this, would you??? Were these guys just ignorant of common courtesy or were they just looking for a fight? I wanted to go "introduce" myself to them but I was just a guest - on my buddy's boat, skiing on his course.

Again, we were the only two boats out there so it wasn't like it was a crowded day on the lake.

Flatwaterfooter
05-19-2006, 09:53 AM
I voted for option 1, but if that does not work go directly to option 2

captain planet
05-19-2006, 10:23 AM
I am going to assume they were riding behind a nautique. My rationale is this; it had to be either a nautique or something lower because, let's face it, there is only ONE boat that is worth running a slalom course with, and that's a MasterCraft! :headbang: ......or they were just young and were both ignorant and a little arrogant.

By the way, I voted for the first option in the poll.

shepherd
05-19-2006, 11:12 AM
Personally, if I were wakeboarding where there was a course and some slalom dawgs came in, I would stop or go find other water.

Thanks P-hat. I've got nothing against wakeboarders, especially you TMC guys. I actually like to watch them. And they aren't the only ones who do this - toobers are even worse - all kinds of people. It's just that I would hope that watersports enthusiasts like us (boarders and skiiers and footers and foilers) would know better - that's when it really irritates me and think it's more arrogance than ignorance. The other people, I just figure they are clueless so I don't blame them so much.

BTW, they were on an old Correct Craft :cool:

Ric
05-19-2006, 11:27 AM
the course on public water near here is in a cove or creek area that's not too wide. Signs that look like they were made by the state say "designated skiing area - No Wake Zone while skiers are skiing". Think they pay attention? NO

I'm cordial to an extent but I wouldn't blast thru a cove of boarders in my boat, so I don't put up with it when they do it to me. We can share the cove. Some old slalom guys might say, "no boarding in here at all" but I'd rather say, "you guys rotate in with us for good water" (there's usually a couple of boats out there rotating into the course)

east tx skier
05-19-2006, 12:16 PM
I am going to assume they were riding behind a nautique. My rationale is this; it had to be either a nautique or something lower because, let's face it, there is only ONE boat that is worth running a slalom course with, and that's a MasterCraft! :headbang: ......or they were just young and were both ignorant and a little arrogant.

By the way, I voted for the first option in the poll.

Just for the record, on my last outing to the lake, it was just me and a SN on the water. They were free skiing over by the course. I idled over careful to not send rollers their way. When they saw me, they waived me over and asked if I was planning to use the course. When I said that I was, the offered to go to the other side of the lake to ski. Just wanted to give a thumbs up to my fellow water sports enthusiasts around here who have always been considerate. Our only dealer is a Nautique dealer, so as a MC owner, I'm the minority around here. I only mention it because it is my opinion that matters of courtesy or lack thereof do not necessarily coincide with brand loyalty.

Attempting to communicating with the wakeboarders should always be option one IMO.

bcampbe7
05-19-2006, 12:16 PM
I usually give them the benefit of the doubt and say ignorance versus arrogance.

Ric method of rotating is a good one. Maybe that will work for you guys.

shepherd
05-19-2006, 12:25 PM
Attempting to communicating with the wakeboarders should always be option one IMO.

I agree. Plus, get into a war with them and next thing you know buoys will start disappearing... :cool:

meggsy1221@aol.com
05-19-2006, 12:27 PM

Here's my vent!!! personal watercraft around ramps and dock areas. they seem to think that's their place to showcase their stupidity. I had 1 guy tell my wife to get out of his way while we we're trying to load our boat! I walked out to where he was sitting and grabbed him by the throat and hauled him off his See Doo and very calmly asked him if he wanted to see his next birthday. not 1 of his buddies came out to help him, gave the rest of the dock something to talk about! A few people came up later and thanked me for showing the guy the error of his ways. Can you imagine a mean old S.O.B. picking on the future of our society! Please don't get me wrong we all have the priviledge of being on our lakes but a little courtesy goes a long ways. Numerous times I have given a tow to someone on a pwc when they we're broken down.

I feel better now thanks everyone

Davo
05-19-2006, 12:51 PM
I usually give them the benefit of the doubt and say ignorance versus arrogance.

Ditto, B. Option #1 is always best...for starters. ;)

Shep, are you sure your slalom buddy hasn't had a run-in with them in the past? Maybe they were seeking some passive revenge.

Davo
05-19-2006, 12:52 PM
Here's my vent!!! personal watercraft around ramps and dock areas. they seem to think that's their place to showcase their stupidity. I had 1 guy tell my wife to get out of his way while we we're trying to load our boat! I walked out to where he was sitting and grabbed him by the throat and hauled him off his See Doo and very calmly asked him if he wanted to see his next birthday. not 1 of his buddies came out to help him, gave the rest of the dock something to talk about! A few people came up later and thanked me for showing the guy the error of his ways. Can you imagine a mean old S.O.B. picking on the future of our society! Please don't get me wrong we all have the priviledge of being on our lakes but a little courtesy goes a long ways. Numerous times I have given a tow to someone on a pwc when they we're broken down.

I feel better now thanks everyone

Yous preachin' to the choir, Meggsy. :D

TMCNo1
05-19-2006, 01:10 PM
When we are interrupted by outside inconsiderate watercraft, someone always approaches them and cordially welcomes them and invite them to use the course and inform them that shortly we will be doing some maintenance on the course. We then procede to tell them we will need some help extra boats and people to do some diving and since they are there to use the course we know they will be glad to help. They never get in rotation and shortly leave, never to be seen again.

Ryan
05-19-2006, 02:00 PM
I like roatating when possible in my skiing location. There is an area at one end where most of us get setup and gives us a chance to talk to other boaters.

I had an unusual request recently - Keep in mind we do laps like a race track in Marine Stadium. While retrieving a skier, a wakeboarder up and riding (he works at the local ski shop) pulled way out close to us and hollered out that we should both run our boats down the middle, implying both drivers steer right to avoid collision, so that wakes dissipate out leaving a smooth path. This works out greexcept for my situation pitting my PS 190 up against a huge fully loaded SANTE wake. How is that a logical request? I'd have to see my chiropractor way more often if I went through that kind of pounding.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-19-2006, 02:16 PM
Nice Poll Shep. :) Bummer you had problems out there. I say be superman! It always works for me..... :steering:

Ric
05-19-2006, 04:03 PM
When we are interrupted by outside inconsiderate watercraft, someone always approaches them and cordially welcomes them and invite them to use the course and inform them that shortly we will be doing some maintenance on the course. We then procede to tell them we will need some help extra boats and people to do some diving and since they are there to use the course we know they will be glad to help. They never get in rotation and shortly leave, never to be seen again.
You DAWG ....... :uglyhamme

shepherd
05-19-2006, 04:08 PM
Shep, are you sure your slalom buddy hasn't had a run-in with them in the past? Maybe they were seeking some passive revenge.

Naaah, he's a nice guy, wouldn't start a confrontation with anyone. I'd be more likely to start something than him, though I'd try option 1 first now that I'm older and wiser...

Harvey
05-19-2006, 04:16 PM
I am amazed that wakeboarders wouldn't have the courtesy for slalom skiers. I can understand wakeboarders ignoring the fisherman but have some love for your roots.

Here is my .02. I am a wakeboarder and I often will ski at sunrise on local lakes which means I often run into you buoy boys. I usually end up trying to share the water with you. Most of the time you guys will take a couple passes and then stop for 10-15 minutes. I know some of you hardcore guys just trade off and ski for an hour but I don't find that in DFW regularly. We usually trade runs with them. We will let one rider take a pass for 10-15 minutes then let the slalom guys run for 10-15 minutes if they last that long then we go again. It usually works out well. I try to motor over and talk about this before it actually happens otherwise no one gets good water.

Harvey
05-19-2006, 04:23 PM
I like roatating when possible in my skiing location. There is an area at one end where most of us get setup and gives us a chance to talk to other boaters.

I had an unusual request recently - Keep in mind we do laps like a race track in Marine Stadium. While retrieving a skier, a wakeboarder up and riding (he works at the local ski shop) pulled way out close to us and hollered out that we should both run our boats down the middle, implying both drivers steer right to avoid collision, so that wakes dissipate out leaving a smooth path. This works out greexcept for my situation pitting my PS 190 up against a huge fully loaded SANTE wake. How is that a logical request? I'd have to see my chiropractor way more often if I went through that kind of pounding.

I can understand your desire not to do this in a 190 (my back would not like it either) but this works well with multiple larger boats. I have never tried doing it with a slalom skier before just multiple wakeboarders.

TMCNo1
05-19-2006, 04:48 PM
You DAWG ....... :uglyhamme

ARRRRRRRRRRRF,ARRRRRRRRRRRRF, a dawg gotta do, what a dawgs gotta do, plus I scoped out their slimmies, maybe that's what run'um off! :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Datdude
05-19-2006, 04:51 PM
shoot something over their bow and tell them to get the *&$^ out of here. No different than a person on a jet ski that everyone on here hates in my opinion :D

Ryan
05-19-2006, 07:34 PM
I am amazed that wakeboarders wouldn't have the courtesy for slalom skiers. I can understand wakeboarders ignoring the fisherman but have some love for your roots.

Here is my .02. I am a wakeboarder and I often will ski at sunrise on local lakes which means I often run into you buoy boys. I usually end up trying to share the water with you. Most of the time you guys will take a couple passes and then stop for 10-15 minutes. I know some of you hardcore guys just trade off and ski for an hour but I don't find that in DFW regularly. We usually trade runs with them.

Now this I like. Harvey, I like your time based intervals. 10-15 min intervals is very fare.

Unfortunately when I see no time consession from others, my patience wears thin when rotating with boarders who seem ot ride for days and take tons of falls lasting 25 minutes per set. My ski sets last about 10 min. I usually have three skiers in my boat and we do a fast rotation each taking two sets, we are in and out in 1 hour or roughly two wakeboard sets. I may sit aroung and wait longer in fresh water, but I like getting out to flush my engine.

Ryan
05-19-2006, 07:50 PM
I can understand your desire not to do this in a 190 (my back would not like it either) but this works well with multiple larger boats. I have never tried doing it with a slalom skier before just multiple wakeboarders.

With the three skiers I almost always have my kids (14mo & 3y/o official rope pullers and flag holders) with me. I truly am more concerned for them than my back. Plus it's hard on the skier when the prop gets out of the water, jerking the line hard.

I imagine two wake boats would be great if each boat angles out then in properly, each could get a nice doubleup every pass.

I'd much rather ski with wakeboats than the Whaler's doing laps for no reason - a little respect for the sport and the open dialogue is key. I'd even take a considerate wakeboat driver (and his wakes) than an A hole DD driver or skier who tries to spray down my boat -ehem red Supreme.

pjwalnuts
05-19-2006, 07:55 PM
that happens to us here all the time. most of the time our biggest problem is jet skiis. they just run back and forth turning and zigzaging. we have even had them try to follow us through the course and run through as we're doing a turn around. up here i think they are just ignorant to proper ski ediquete

Hoosier Bob
05-19-2006, 11:56 PM
I have not read all but my choice is #2! I see you own a 190? Change it as I have to read Prostar 190.45! Before each pass for a week or so fire off a round each way just so they get it. If they are slow learners remember you are already in the lake and as long as you have remembered to bring along 4-5 cinder blocks there should be no real problem. The most dificult decision is always, "Where do you hide the body or bodies?" We already have that one covered! 8p
PS This works for all forms of water pests!

PendO
05-20-2006, 12:24 AM
Wakeboarders are cool ... just ask for a leaf and you will all be friends, may even get a pb on the course!

Hoosier Bob
05-20-2006, 12:27 AM
What caliber is a leaf and I will shoot anyone who offers me a Pabst Blue? Did you saw Braw? C'mon Casey do you forget I and many others are in there 40's and know not of what you speak. Enlighten me my brother and help me to communicate with these savages. :D Wakeboarders are cool ... just ask for a leaf and you will all be friends, may even get a pb on the course!

Leroy
05-20-2006, 12:33 AM
:uglyhamme Agree, lighten up all, as Sporty says....it's all good!

Wakeboarders are cool ... just ask for a leaf and you will all be friends, may even get a pb on the course!

Hoosier Bob
05-20-2006, 12:39 AM
Leroy what are you saying? I don't get to shoot anyone? Can I at least give them the middle numer one? I think I can tell when I am being f'd with. If I feel that is the case then s*** is going to roll. I may or may not get my arse whooped but I will not accept any treatment lower than I myself am handing out. Yes we can all get along but there comes a time when the walking get walked on! :D :uglyhamme Agree, lighten up all, as Sporty says....it's all good!

Leroy
05-20-2006, 12:42 AM
Only the bass boat that came within about spitting distance of us last year!

Leroy
05-20-2006, 12:43 AM
I think Pendo is right those boarding dudes generally are more relaxed:toast:

Hoosier Bob
05-20-2006, 12:44 AM
I did not want to tell you but he did spit on you! I thought you were better off thinking it was bird sh**! See I can be passive too! I did not get riled when you were spit on! :o
PS Are you saying I am uptight? I know and I am working on it!! Thanks Leroy, You complete me! :D When are we skiing bud?

Leroy
05-20-2006, 12:52 AM
I think Wed/Thur we should get out. Looks like it will be in the 80's. I fired up mine and all was ok. I can't believe it's mid May and I haven't been skiing yet. Watched friend of my son when we went out and he was doing flips on his board with no wetsuit and water temp was ~61 ..... oh to be young again!

Hoosier Bob
05-20-2006, 12:54 AM
I went out on the third in a full but Dave did his second run in a swim suit only! Water sucked and so did the talent!I think Wed/Thur we should get out. Looks like it will be in the 80's. I fired up mine and all was ok. I can't believe it's mid May and I haven't been skiing yet. Watched friend of my son when we went out and he was doing flips on his board with no wetsuit and water temp was ~61 ..... oh to be young again!

PendO
05-20-2006, 01:22 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Mi.mc
05-20-2006, 12:20 PM
why do wakeboarders find the need to use a slalom course?

Ric
05-20-2006, 12:23 PM
I re-read the poll and I'm laughing.... Change the word wakeboarder to Bear or shark or gator or something! ahahhahah

kpickett
05-20-2006, 01:01 PM
We dropped our course into our cove on Shasta yesterday. It was actually raining, but this is the one weekend my buddies could get up here, so we were determined to ski anyway. The water was nice when you could see through the rain. There was almost nobody else on this enormous lake - not even the fishermen were stupid enough to be out there.

And what happens - sure enough some idot wakeboarders head right over and start boarding by the gates. THERE'S NOBODY ELSE ON THE WHOLE LAKE!!!!! And for those of you who don't know, Shasta is a huge lake, with lots of coves and arms. This was not one of those times when we had the only good water.

What the hell is wrong with these people?