PDA

View Full Version : Lakeside Lifts?

88 PS190
05-18-2006, 11:13 PM
Does anyone here have any experience with these?

www.lakesidelift.com

They seem to have a fairly nice vertical lift and are manufacturerd in Michigan, so we could pick it up and save shipping it.

peason
05-18-2006, 11:44 PM
Not familiar, but there are alot of local boat lift and dock manufacturers here in Minnesota that make good lifts. Maybe you can get a reference from some your neighbors?

88 PS190
05-19-2006, 12:24 AM
eh we can get references but most of them have major manufacturers such as shore station, or hewitt.

Because of that they have lifts w/ companies who have pre existing dealers in the region, so you pay dealer markup on everything, which is a good 25% of the cost.

If we go through a company that either doesn't have a dealer network, or not one in the area then we save quite alot.

peason
05-19-2006, 07:22 AM
One of the local companies up here is VIBO - you can find them and thier price book on the web. They make a good product and will let you transfer lift with one of thier trailers.
If you are looking to caompare price - this may be a good comparison.

Ben
05-19-2006, 08:47 AM
Those guys our on our lake, I talk to them a little, nice guys. Both guys who run the company have 190's also. One is a '93 and has pretty stars on it..... Anyway, they are both skiers with ski boats, and know what they're selling.

Anyway, if I were buying, I'd highly consider them. I'm sure they will provide good answers and pictures if you want it, but if not, let me know and I'll try to help out.

bigmac
05-19-2006, 09:27 AM
Boat lifts and docks can be kind of a cottage industry around the upper midwest. There are the longer-termed standby names in lifts like Shore Station, Pier Pleasure, Floe, Hewitt, with big factories and wide dealership networks, and then there are a number of smaller operations with a couple of guys in a rented building and a TIG welder putting these things together.

Lift design isn't rocket science - they all use the same concepts and are pretty simple, so lifts made by many of those small operations are probably just fine for people looking for such a device on a tight budget. My concern would be that, just as these small operations keep springing up, they keep closing down, so support down the road may become problematic with some of these companies. Saving money on the front end might end up costing me money later on when I can't get parts, or 5 years later find out that their original engineering concepts didn't quite stand up.

88 PS190
05-19-2006, 10:05 AM
Yea i saw an ebay add they had out, w/ the stars and stripes on it and knew they had to be mastercrafters, and from talking to them on the phone we had a good impression.

they have a 15 year structural warranty, which is as good as the other companies.

But i understand your point bigmac. and will visit Roscommon MI, where the lifts are built to take a peak at them before we purchase.

Ben
05-19-2006, 10:17 AM
Good points. The main things I'd look for are to make sure the tubing is similar in size to the "large" companies, and make sure the welds look good. Pulley's and cables are cheap and easy relative to the frame...

Good luck.

Datdude
05-19-2006, 05:14 PM
If you are in Michigan, I would recommend checking out Bulmann Dock and Lift in Boyne Falls, MI. We are a dealer for their dock systems and they seem to be a great company. They have a very small dealer network, but mostly sell factory direct. The owner Steve Bulmann used to be a Floe dealer before starting his own dock/lift business(7-8 years ago) and has "borrowed" some of the design features that make Floe lifts great. They have VERY deep canopy frames, V-braces on the side to allow easy access to the boat and some other stuff. It would be worth a call to 1-866-BULMANN or look at their website www.bulmanndock.com.

88 PS190
05-19-2006, 05:20 PM
thanks for the lead datdude. I've seen these lifts in person (our neighbor has one) unfortunately I also heard the guy swearing and the big slap when his lift cable (less than one year old) snapped this last summer.

sure it was a fluke, but it was certainly entertaining.

Datdude
05-19-2006, 10:04 PM
thanks for the lead datdude. I've seen these lifts in person (our neighbor has one) unfortunately I also heard the guy swearing and the big slap when his lift cable (less than one year old) snapped this last summer.

sure it was a fluke, but it was certainly entertaining.

What caused the lift cable to snap? That is not a common occurrence for a one year old lift cable to snap unless it was seriously overloaded

88 PS190
05-19-2006, 10:49 PM
Never really heard, this neighbor and our family are not exactly on speaking terms.

Anyway, it was during a storm and it made a noise like lightning had hit the trees, but we think that was just the boat falling.

Its possible that the cable was just faulty, but I think they probably had the boat sitting so it wasn't fully out of the water, and the waves got intense and started the boat slamming around on the lift cradle.

Looks like the correct size lift to me, and they've had no issues since.

We ran out in the storm because we heard it and figured on checking our boats, and there he was swearing away trying to tie the thing down inside his lift.

Datdude
05-19-2006, 11:44 PM
That sucks that the cable broke, but that could have been any lift. I am not sure what kind of coin you are looking at on the Lakeside Lift, but I would also look into the Harbormaster Elite lift. Harbormaster is also based out of Michigan. Their lift is a hybrid between a cantilever and a vertical lift. This lift also allows you to operate in 6" less water than most vertical lifts (30"). Floe lifts are also excellent...but expensive.

Leroy
05-19-2006, 11:54 PM
The lakesidelifts look good! How many years have they been in business?

88 PS190
05-20-2006, 05:23 AM
not really sure, we have a harbormaster elite under a chris craft 19 concept I/O.

Good concept, poor execution. The lift required updates to the rollers, the pulleys go out regularly every 2 seasons, we've done several cables. Cable wear seems pretty serious on them.

Had the rear cross beam break. One of the legs broke dragging it out, Not many holes through the legs to level led to tweaking of the lift through the years.

Not to say its a poor quality product, but i feel like we got ours before they had the design figured out.

Other issues with the harbor master. The wheel has one drain hole in it. water gets into the wheel and you have to secure the wheel, and hope no one walking down the lake turns it because if they do you split the wheel (has happened more than once).

Datdude
05-20-2006, 08:35 PM
not really sure, we have a harbormaster elite under a chris craft 19 concept I/O.

Good concept, poor execution. The lift required updates to the rollers, the pulleys go out regularly every 2 seasons, we've done several cables. Cable wear seems pretty serious on them.

Had the rear cross beam break. One of the legs broke dragging it out, Not many holes through the legs to level led to tweaking of the lift through the years.

Not to say its a poor quality product, but i feel like we got ours before they had the design figured out.

Other issues with the harbor master. The wheel has one drain hole in it. water gets into the wheel and you have to secure the wheel, and hope no one walking down the lake turns it because if they do you split the wheel (has happened more than once).

Great info on the Harbormaster. We became a dealer over the Winter for them and have sold a bunch because of the low water situation we have now. It will be interesting to see how well they hold up. It sounds like you guys are pretty hard on lifts in that area :uglyhamme . Floe is still our main brand at a 5-1 sales ratio.

88 PS190
05-20-2006, 09:30 PM
I think the harbor master is a fine lift now. They have zerk fittings on the rear rollers, and metal rear rollers now, which is helpful.

Make sure that you recommend that the handles be tied that is a must to avoid them splitting (cut hands will ensue).

As I mentioned about the cable, if your pulleys rust up and stop turning smoothly it hurts the cable, so pay attention to those/ recommend the customers do as well.

I think the idea works real well for having the lift caracteristics of the vertical with more simplicity. They're not too expensive either in comparison.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c138/pb_hawkeye/DCP_1077.jpg

Don't know if our area is considered hard on lifts or what, the bottom is real firm with gravel and sand, no muck. We can get the lift in with no issues regarding lift height requirements or low water, front of the lift is in around 2 feet, rear sits around 4.5 feet.

Only other thing i can think of, fit a stern drive stop to the back of the thing, in heavy waves (our lake is large) landing boats sometimes causes a collision of the drive into the back of the lift that lead to failure, for an idea of lake size.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c138/pb_hawkeye/ElkLake.jpg

Mi.mc
05-20-2006, 10:27 PM
wow bryce- big picture

Sandslot
06-04-2006, 05:34 PM
I own Lakeside Lift Corporation. We are out of Michigan. Our lifts are of the vertical style (4500-pound lift raises 64"), are all aluminum, have stainless steel aircraft cable (5/16" dia), full length bunks and roller bearings in the winch. they are a great piece of equipment and are a great value.

Was there a particular question you were looking for an answer for.

88 PS190
06-04-2006, 06:51 PM
check your pm sandslot.

Sandslot
06-25-2006, 05:21 PM
Was there a question about Lakeside Lifts? We handle vertical ski boat lifts that are all-aluminum construction, stainless steel cables, winch roller bearings with low-water design.

sgg
06-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Those guys our on our lake, I talk to them a little, nice guys. Both guys who run the company have 190's also. One is a '93 and has pretty stars on it..... Anyway, they are both skiers with ski boats, and know what they're selling.

Anyway, if I were buying, I'd highly consider them. I'm sure they will provide good answers and pictures if you want it, but if not, let me know and I'll try to help out.

Ben,

I am looking a purchasing a lift from these guys. Are you still on the same lake as them? If so, are they still in business; their website seems to be down which is rarely a good sign.

Ben
06-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Ben,

I am looking a purchasing a lift from these guys. Are you still on the same lake as them? If so, are they still in business; their website seems to be down which is rarely a good sign.

Works for me right now. Here is the contact info from the site:

dave@lakesidelift.com

(248) 933-9433

I'd probably call.

If that doesn't work, pm me, I can get a hold of him to find out how to contact.

JR8778
06-30-2010, 12:35 AM
Just installed a Lakeside Lift. Use the threads suggestions on how to get it into place. Worked like a charm. I fine the lift great. Lots of leg adjustments to level the lift. Construction looks great. Dave was great to work with in ordering, construction etc. Would recommend.