PDA

View Full Version : Tie down on back of trailer

love2fly
05-19-2006, 12:03 AM
does anybody tie down the back of the boat when pulling on the trailer??

erkoehler
05-19-2006, 12:06 AM
Yes.

88 PS190
05-19-2006, 12:10 AM
yep.

............................ don't you hate those thread length restrictions?

jrhollow
05-19-2006, 12:21 AM
Nope........

Cloaked
05-19-2006, 12:29 AM
Nope........Out of curiosity, do you use any tie-downs?

RackAtak
05-19-2006, 12:31 AM
Transom strap to the trailer eyelets

Workin' 4 Toys
05-19-2006, 01:14 AM
Transom strap to the trailer eyelets
Exactly.......:)
Reminder, don't forget to remove them before LIFTING at the Marina, or backing into the water at the launch.

rasmithaz
05-19-2006, 01:20 AM
Wouldn't leave home without em.

AZHAWK
05-19-2006, 02:40 AM
Always used them in the past. MC dealer told us that it is really up to the individual but they didn't seem like it was necessary. So we didn't buy any for the boat and haven't used any since. Boat weighs enough... sticks like glue to the trailer. MC engineers their trailers so well that I haven't noticed the boat moving around in transit being an issue. If you really think about it, those straps aren't going to do much of anything anyways if it gets to the point of getting into an accident. My brother had his little skier tied down with high-quality straps, lady pulled out in front of him, had to slam on the brakes, he hit the side of her car and the boat came off the trailer. It went over (through) the bed of his truck and ended up skidding on its hull 'til it stopped. He was only going about 30-40 mph when it happened. The S-hooks on the straps straightened right out. Boat was totalled.

If it gives you piece of mind, use 'em. Just don't forget to take them off when you back your boat in the water. (seen that happen too!) Not good!

sizzler
05-19-2006, 03:07 AM
2 heavy duty ratchet straps at the stern and one at the bow.....stops the boat bouncing around over bumps.....i would rather these than nothing ....especially with my 2 young girls in the back of the car......

BIGBADBLUE
05-19-2006, 07:39 AM
I have never used them in the past but after reading a thread this winter I bought some. I could not tell the difference but it makes me feel a little better.

oldschool84
05-19-2006, 08:48 AM
I hit a pot hole last year haul'n my boat home after a weekend on the lake in late summer last year. The boat shifted so much that IT blew out my wheel well. As i sit here and type this the trailer and boat are getting worked on. :mad:

ski_king
05-19-2006, 09:04 AM
Sporty, I think the photos you posted on here of what can happen if you don't have your boat strapped down have been lost.

Can you repost them?

Tom023
05-19-2006, 09:10 AM
Boat weighs enough... sticks like glue to the trailer.

Obviously you have never followed a boat down a road when it hits a pothole, railroad tracks or some other bump. I've followed many friends' boats that didn't have straps, one a 45' offshore, and when they hit a bump they separate from the trailer. The straps don't hold the boat to the trailer, they hold the trailer to the boat. I agree, in a big wreck, the boat is going where it's going and those straps won't hold it, but if you feel comfortable having your boat beat against the bunks on every bump you hit, don't use them.

jlf
05-19-2006, 10:04 AM
We use them, we only trailer like three miles to the lake. Don't forget to remove them!!

TMCNo1
05-19-2006, 10:10 AM
We use them, we only trailer like three miles to the lake. Don't forget to remove them!!

That's what Skidog says about the bathing suits on the slimmies he takes to the lake too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

ski_500
05-19-2006, 10:23 AM
I don't use 'em locally, but whenever we go on a trip I use the transom strap.

Diesel
05-19-2006, 10:37 AM
For 10 years I never once used a transom tie down on my 205. In probably 50K miles of towing the boat never moved on the trailer and I had no problems. I think the main reason I never tied it down was because I did not want to scratch the boat with the straps, remove the platform, or use the platform brackets as anchor points. No real provision for tieing it down on the 95' model.

With that said I do tie down the transom on my 209. It seemed to be a bit more active on the trailer plus MC finally added a few downward facing D rings which are very convenient and keep the straps off the back of the boat. I mounted a set of fixed ratcheting tie downs to the trailer like what you see on bass boats. Works great.

ski_king
05-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Saw somebody on the ramp who forgot to take off his transom straps.

He couldn't figure out why the transom of his boat was about underwater and why he couldnt back off the trailer. :confused:

Datdude
05-19-2006, 11:08 PM
Saw somebody on the ramp who forgot to take off his transom straps.

He couldn't figure out why the transom of his boat was about underwater and why he couldnt back off the trailer. :confused:

I would have guessed the boat would float the trailer?

Leroy
05-19-2006, 11:31 PM
I always use now after Sporty's pictures and a similar thread last year. My dealer told me no problem, no reason to use tie downs, but I think there is a reason to now.

I know Doug and others put a strap around the boat and trailer in the middle. Works if you have old socks to protect the sides, or maybe Doug can send you an extra pair!!!!

Mi.mc
05-20-2006, 12:32 PM
Always used them in the past. MC dealer told us that it is really up to the individual but they didn't seem like it was necessary. So we didn't buy any for the boat and haven't used any since. Boat weighs enough... sticks like glue to the trailer. MC engineers their trailers so well that I haven't noticed the boat moving around in transit being an issue. If you really think about it, those straps aren't going to do much of anything anyways if it gets to the point of getting into an accident. My brother had his little skier tied down with high-quality straps, lady pulled out in front of him, had to slam on the brakes, he hit the side of her car and the boat came off the trailer. It went over (through) the bed of his truck and ended up skidding on its hull 'til it stopped. He was only going about 30-40 mph when it happened. The S-hooks on the straps straightened right out. Boat was totalled.

If it gives you piece of mind, use 'em. Just don't forget to take them off when you back your boat in the water. (seen that happen too!) Not good!

ouch i hope somebodies insurance paid for that

88 PS190
05-20-2006, 01:29 PM
All it takes is a blow out on an entry/exit ramp and you've got yourself a boat on the concrete, I'd rather still have it up on the trailer.

And i'd agree, with most boats the boat should float the trailer and then some if strapped down... could float a bit low.

Ryan27r
05-21-2006, 03:39 AM
All it takes is a blow out on an entry/exit ramp and you've got yourself a boat on the concrete, I'd rather still have it up on the trailer.

And i'd agree, with most boats the boat should float the trailer and then some if strapped down... could float a bit low.
How would the boat be on the concrete? The trailer is fully enclsoing the boat no way it can touch the ground.

And no we dont use straps No need to do it IMO I dont even think our trailer has D rings on it.

DanC
05-21-2006, 04:29 AM
If you don't think your boat moves around when you hit train tracks, pot holes..... then you have never followed another boat being towed. However, that is not why I use tie downs, I don't think my boat is going to bounce high enough to land on top of the fenders or cause a problem.

I could tell you a story about a boat and trailer that rolled down a hill and totaled a mini van and ripped off a truck door, with minimal damage to the boat and trailer, but that was a freak accident. And freak accidents never happen to you right?

This is why I use tie downs on the stern and bow.

Kell
05-21-2006, 08:07 AM
I'm with ya DanC, only takes a couple of minutes to use some form of transom tie downs and the benefits for that "unfortunate" incident are worth their weight in gold. IMHO.

SkiDog
05-21-2006, 10:23 AM
That's what Skidog says about the bathing suits on the slimmies he takes to the lake too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Gas or A$$! Nobody rides for FREE! :dance:

SkiDog
05-21-2006, 10:28 AM
I had just bought a new 88 Platinum Prostar and had taken delivery about 2 hours earlier, when a drunk guy pulled out in front of me. I hit the guy running about 60 MPH and I never had a chance to hit the brakes! That good ole bow bar that nobody liked saved my boat! My boat didn't move one inch! It did however, bend the trailer hitch 90 degrees!
Best of all, a cop witnessed the whole thing!

ajgressette
05-22-2006, 02:13 PM
Is this to much angle from the transom to the trailer to use tie down straps? Powerstar 200 sitting all the way on its trailer. :confused:

east tx skier
05-22-2006, 03:51 PM
Strap over the transom. Socks between it and the gelcoat. Without it, and a bit of a bump, the boat will move.

jeverett
05-22-2006, 04:31 PM
Is this to much angle from the transom to the trailer to use tie down straps? Powerstar 200 sitting all the way on its trailer. :confused:

Yes! Most Tie-down straps will only hold well at 30 from streight up. I would do like eastie said transom strap with some sort of padding.

Ric
05-22-2006, 04:34 PM
I would have guessed the boat would float the trailer?
uhhhh NO

(don't ask me how I know)

Leroy
05-22-2006, 04:38 PM
Ric; I would have guessed the weight was under the max capacity, but there is no refuting a well designed scientific experiment. :D

uhhhh NO

(don't ask me how I know)

Ric
05-22-2006, 04:42 PM
If we cannot laugh at ourselves, what else do we have? :o

ajgressette
05-22-2006, 04:57 PM
Strap over the transom. Socks between it and the gelcoat. Without it, and a bit of a bump, the boat will move.

This is like a gunwale strap right?

sizzler
05-23-2006, 04:47 AM
yeah.......i used one on my barefoot 200