PDA

View Full Version : Towing Laws.

M-Funf
05-18-2006, 02:00 PM
I've noticed lots of people towing boats in the carpool (far left, third) lane lately...I know that here in CA we're only allowed to tow in the two right lanes of ANY road, even if we are a carpool. So what they're doing is illegal, I think... :confused:

Is this a CA thing, or is it nationwide?

6ballsisall
05-18-2006, 02:03 PM
I've noticed lots of people towing boats in the carpool (far left, third) lane lately...I know that here in CA we're only allowed to tow in the two right lanes of ANY road, even if we are a carpool. So what they're doing is illegal, I think... :confused:

Is this a CA thing, or is it nationwide?

Not nationwide. THat would be a state to state decision. Out here, no big deal.

I hate pulling the CA, you guys have lots of rules

#47of100TeamMC
05-18-2006, 02:09 PM
Is that law (and others) posted as you enter the state? How would an out of towner know you can't pull trailers in the far left lane? Sounds like a GREAT idea to me. Seems the Semi's are always camping out in the left lane blocking traffic... Up here all we ever see are signs that say "slower traffic use right lane" more of a courtesy issue than a law per say.

jmyers
05-18-2006, 02:14 PM
When i drive at 75-80 mph I pass in the left lane!! :D

gimmemoedmb
05-18-2006, 02:20 PM
Up here all we ever see are signs that say "slower traffic use right lane"

And they sure are not very effective. I always seem to get stuck behind slow people in the left lane.

#47of100TeamMC
05-18-2006, 02:29 PM
And they sure are not very effective. I always seem to get stuck behind slow people in the left lane.

Join the club! us MC'ers are always in a hurry to get to the lake I guess.

Footin
05-18-2006, 02:31 PM
I always try to stay in the right lane espescially when towing the boat, generally around 65-70.

#47of100TeamMC
05-18-2006, 02:45 PM
Yep, I'm about a 5mph over the limit type driver no matter how fast the posted limit is. And that usually leaves you being passed by a LOT of people. Most of them wave. Some just stare. Others fly by so fast you can't tell what they were doing.

east tx skier
05-18-2006, 04:02 PM
I don't know about the carpool lane, but I have a few simple rules I apply to myself.

Tow slow. Drive Right. Pass left.

Mi.mc
05-18-2006, 08:34 PM
I hate pulling the CA, you guys have lots of rules

lots of rules and cancerous materials...

Larryp
05-18-2006, 08:45 PM
I don't know about the carpool lane, but I have a few simple rules I apply to myself.

Tow slow. Drive Right. Pass left.
That's right. I tell my wife all the time, we don't drive in the left hand lane, get out of it. Unwritten rule in Texas.

east tx skier
05-18-2006, 11:21 PM
Well, actually, there are signs on the freeway that say "Left lane is for passing only."

Ryan
05-18-2006, 11:22 PM
Is that law (and others) posted as you enter the state? How would an out of towner know you can't pull trailers in the far left lane? Sounds like a GREAT idea to me. Seems the Semi's are always camping out in the left lane blocking traffic... Up here all we ever see are signs that say "slower traffic use right lane" more of a courtesy issue than a law per say.

No laws are posted for towing at the stateline. Each state (in many ways) still opperates as a seperate country, particularly for the expectation to research all laws. Ignorance will do nothing good for you. In CA I used to think it was ok to pass in other lanes (4+ lane Fwy) as long as I stayed out of the #1 lane. CHP let me know otherwise even though the DMV site said otherwise.

Another lame example; when driving in Idaho, you are supposed to always stay in the right lane trailer or not except to pass. Trust me you can get a ticket for haning out in the #1 lane for too long.

east tx skier
05-18-2006, 11:27 PM
Wish they gave those out around here. Always someone here cruising along in the left lane with 2 cars behind them who can't pass.

88 PS190
05-19-2006, 12:31 AM
lots of rules and cancerous materials...

Never have figured out why Cali is the only state that knows these things to be hazardous. We're just fine out here.