PDA

View Full Version : Towing with boards in the racks

River Rat
05-18-2006, 12:59 PM
Does any one tow their boat for a short distance with the wakeboards in the racks? Last weekend I pulled the boat out and drove to the gas station and never pulled the boards down. They rode just fine and I never got over 50mph. Just wondering what others do!

kalanic
05-18-2006, 01:08 PM
I have wondered the same thing using the clamp down type board racks most of us have. I always thought they would be ok but never tried it.

jmyers
05-18-2006, 01:12 PM
I never have even with the clamp board racks! My buddy tow's everywhere with his BU and it does fine (so far!) It would be easier, I just would hate to have one fly off and destroy the boards, or hit someone! :eek:

Workin' 4 Toys
05-18-2006, 03:12 PM
We have sometimes for short distances. If the boat can do 40+ on the water with them on the rack, besides I would think at times the water can be rougher than the road.

Faded & X9-Rated
05-18-2006, 03:22 PM
I don't want to risk my $400 set-up to fall on the pavement going 30mph... & then risk someone running over it! The 1st thing I do when I pull the boat out is put my boards in the truck!

kalanic
05-18-2006, 03:24 PM
I don't want to risk my $400 set-up to fall on the pavement going 30mph... & then risk someone running over it! The 1st thing I do when I pull the boat out is put my boards in the truck!
Im with ya! I dont wanna see my board fly off & take another vehicle out.

Diesel
05-18-2006, 03:25 PM
If your tower flexes and sways as much as mine when in tow, I wouldn't want that much weight up there. IMHO the benefits don't even come close to out weighing the negatives.

The correct way is to wrap your boards up in blankets and set them on top of the swim platform you removed, blanketed, and placed inside the boat for transport. :D

MYMC
05-18-2006, 03:27 PM
Bad Idea...nuff said.

86Craft
05-18-2006, 03:30 PM
I did once, but that is because it started to down pour at the ramp. In the srcamble to get things put away, and get in the truck, I forgot to get the boards down. All the way home from the river (14 miles) in a pouring down rain, @ 55 mph, and they did not move. When I seen those boards up there my heart sunk!

rick s.
05-18-2006, 03:42 PM
the damage a board would do if it flew off at 50 mph would be quite impressive if you were in the car following behind the boat...

imho this would be irresponsible.

jrcarte78
05-18-2006, 06:01 PM
If your tower flexes and sways as much as mine when in tow, I wouldn't want that much weight up there. IMHO the benefits don't even come close to out weighing the negatives.

The correct way is to wrap your boards up in blankets and set them on top of the swim platform you removed, blanketed, and placed inside the boat for transport. :D

Dam*!! I keep forgetting to buy some more blankets so I can secure all my gear properly while towing.

:rolleyes:
:D

Ryan
05-18-2006, 07:04 PM

Now do you guys use fleece blankets, or microfiber? I'm going to have my Mom make some nice quilts with watersports fabric patches it will be sweeeeeet!

SteveO
05-18-2006, 11:57 PM
Diesel, You are $hitin about the platform, right?

michael freeman
05-19-2006, 09:02 AM
I not only remove the wakeboards from the towers, I also turn the racks to the inside of the boat so they are not sticking out to catch a tree or something.

As for the blanket idea, for $20 at the MC proshop sale, I bought some 2005 edge protectors for my wakeboards. They work great and come with a shoulder strap.

jlf
05-19-2006, 09:14 AM
One of the first things we do at the landing is whoever drove the boat on is taking the boards out of the racks as we are driving out of the water. Just doens't seem like a good idea to trailer with them in. I agree with diesel, the tower flexes all over, the extra weight isn't need, the speakers we have up there are enough.

Diesel
05-19-2006, 09:27 AM
Diesel, You are $hitin about the platform, right?

........Just busting Erks chops :D

From this thread (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=180540#post180540) and this quote......

I don't use the backseat, and wrap the platform in a blanket so it stays warm :)

Diesel
05-19-2006, 09:29 AM
Now do you guys use fleece blankets, or microfiber? I'm going to have my Mom make some nice quilts with watersports fabric patches it will be sweeeeeet!

Come on Ryan, fleece is sooooo 1990s..................Microfiber is the choice of the future! :D

I love the patch idea, post up a few pictures when mom is done, mkay!!

Ryan
05-19-2006, 11:27 AM
........Just busting Erks chops :D

From this thread (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=180540#post180540) and this quote......

I wonder how many guests have read 'blanket' posts and truly believed we were complete morons for not using board bags.

TMCNo1
05-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Our choice for stowing and carrying the platform is a sleeping bag from LL Bean, so no one will cut up a watermellon on our Formica covered platform and camo paint on our tower so it's invisible for those who don't like towers on older boats.

86Craft
05-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Wow. Blankets, micro-fiber, sleepings bags, platforms... :worthy:
All I do is store the ski's under the spotter seat and boards on each side of the moter box. Get home, take them out and place them on the racks in the garage.

River Rat
05-19-2006, 01:18 PM
THE POLE SPEAKS.....i WILL NOT REPEAT THIS STUNT AGAIN....INSTEAD I WILL WRAP MY BOARDS IN MICROFIBER AND PLACE ON MY PLATFORM :D :o

witch will be wraped in fleece in my boat. 8p

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-19-2006, 01:24 PM
Nice poll Rat!!! :steering: :D

TMCNo1
05-19-2006, 04:04 PM
Yea, the poll worked this time, but lets just call DrPhil for the rest of us. He really wants to help and has the resources for the long term, as we are heading in a direction that may change waterskiing as we know it today. Straps, boards on towers, 303, wheel bearings, props, stuffing boxes, batteries, stereos, what is this world coming to!

Ric
05-19-2006, 04:30 PM
I drive wayy too fast for those kinda shenanigans

nutrabio
06-01-2006, 04:56 PM
i tow with boards on all the time. i have a 03 x30 with the spring loaded board racks. 3-4 hour trips at 70 mph - no problem. i did forget to put down my bimini once, left it in the folded upright position with the cover on. when i got home - no cover - no bimini, just the frame. wouldn't recommend that trick.

X2M
07-21-2008, 08:20 PM
Lately I have seen a ton of boats going down the road with wakeboards, skis and wakesurfers still in the racks.

It freaks me out everytime I see it. Seems so dangerous.