PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a second prop for my new X2?

dapicatti
05-18-2006, 01:21 AM
We are taking delivery Saturday of our new X2! This is our first Mastercraft and certainly our first inboard boat.

I have dusted my I/O prop more times than I can remember and have always had a second prop on board to make sure I can get back to the dock.

My wife tells me that we need a second prop for the X2. I tell her if I run aground, a new prop is the least of my worries. I hate to ask but is she right?

Any other advice for a new 06 X2 owner would be appreciated. Any marital advice would be helpful as well. :confused:

erkoehler
05-18-2006, 01:38 AM
We are taking delivery Saturday of our new X2! This is our first Mastercraft and certainly our first inboard boat.

I have dusted my I/O prop more times than I can remember and have always had a second prop on board to make sure I can get back to the dock.

My wife tells me that we need a second prop for the X2. I tell her if I run aground, a new prop is the least of my worries. I hate to ask but is she right?

Any other advice for a new 06 X2 owner would be appreciated. Any marital advice would be helpful as well. :confused:

Teach her to use the MC cruise or PP.

erkoehler
05-18-2006, 01:40 AM

Yes, get yourself a second prop. Check the FAQ threads for some advice on which props work out best for each different application or I'm sure someone will post it on here. Check Acme and OJ propellors for some great props.

tex
05-18-2006, 10:47 AM
You need a 2nd impeller and a 2nd prop. Oh yeah, extra beer too!

88 PS190
05-18-2006, 10:52 AM
It also depends on the type of lake you are running, in ours there are essentially no stumps or sand bars to encounter. So as long as we don't get too near shore we're not going to be trashing a prop.

That said if you have an extra you don't lose water time, although it is pretty difficult to change out a prop on an inboard with out sticking the boat on the trailer or lift.

jmyers
05-18-2006, 12:00 PM
Uh, Yea!! Extra prop is good, trust me I know! :rolleyes: And the second impeller is important too!! Boat won't run without either!!

Maristar210
05-18-2006, 12:23 PM
As many of you here know from some of my intial posts, Yes - extra prop is a good idea. Just not a cheap one. :rolleyes:

Steve

bigmac
05-18-2006, 01:32 PM
With my I/O, I found that hitting the prop almost invariably did damage only to the prop - IOW, slap on a new prop and you're good to go. With an inboard, you also have to worry about whether or not your prop strike also damaged the rudder, strut, or shaft. So, unlike an I/O, if you do damage the prop, don't forget to look closely at those other associated parts.

dapicatti
05-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the advice. Now I have to admit she was right! Darn!

We mostly run on the Columbia River, however lots of sandbars and rocks. We have been boating the same area for years, usually its another driver who helps me with the prop damage. :mad:

RackAtak
05-18-2006, 08:51 PM

Ha Ha...I love it! She has total confidence in your boating abilities! :D