PDA

View Full Version : I hate my Malibu

sand2snow22
05-17-2006, 11:44 PM
Sound familiar Rod? Sorry man, when I saw this on Wakeworld I had to bring it over......

Yea I know, im stealing the title to someone else's post, but I feel like I need to vent. So we have had our malibu response for 4 years now and it seems like anything that could break has broken. The starter, altenator, battery, blower, steering cable, throttle cable, rear main seal (would have cost $2000 to fix if it wasnt under warranty), the cd player, fuel pump, fuel filter, none of our gauges work (I know, really dangerous), and now a head gasket is broken which is going to cost us over a grand. I know some of these things are normal for the maintenance of a boat, but the rear main seal broke when the boat was only 3 years old. I dont think we are ever going to buy a malibu again. I hope all inboard boat companies dont produce boats like this. Our fishing boat lasted 15 years with no problems. Maybe someone at malibu will see this and realize that they need to make a boat that lasts longer then 5 years if they are going to sell them for $50k. Sorry if this post had no relevance to anything.

erkoehler
05-17-2006, 11:47 PM
Sounds like they might need my services ;)

6ballsisall
05-17-2006, 11:48 PM
Here's opportunity Erk. Note to self, If I see a Bu on your lot run away very quickly..........

erkoehler
05-17-2006, 11:54 PM
How about a link to that site? Or that persons email?

6ballsisall
05-17-2006, 11:56 PM
jeez.............you got ambulance chasin attorneys..........now we got bu chasing MC salesman.......... What a great world :D

erkoehler
05-17-2006, 11:57 PM
I need coffee....bbbbbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaadddddddddddd

6ballsisall
05-17-2006, 11:58 PM
I need coffee....bbbbbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaadddddddddddd

careful man! You might start some crazy semantics about how good Bayliners are!!! :eek: Focus young jedi

sand2snow22
05-18-2006, 12:28 AM
Here's the link, login or register to get the e-mail address......

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/327611.html?1147924837

JimN
05-18-2006, 12:34 AM
Unless your motor is really hard to work on (and I doubt that it is), $1000 sounds like a lot for a head gasket.

erkoehler
05-18-2006, 12:35 AM
Done, thanks!

bradamerry
05-18-2006, 07:53 AM
Sounds like a motor problem as much as a boat problem. Damn Chevy. :uglyhamme

skisix@38
05-18-2006, 08:38 AM
Sounds like a motor problem as much as a boat problem. Damn Chevy. :uglyhamme

The only trouble I've had with my response is that it gets more hours than the TT197 on it becuase we use it all the time :banana:

Too bad for that guy.
To be fair, I did get out to ski and drive the 06 TT197, we refer to it as peppermint patty because it looks like a candy cane, and it drove and skied well. The new boat feels much lighter than the previous years which lends to a more nimble feel in the water. The owner changed out the prop to a 13.75 x 15.25 and it pulls well.

bigmac
05-18-2006, 08:38 AM
So much of the critical systems on boats these days is outsourced. All of the problems described above are with things that Malibu didn't make or design, just integrated and assembled, and many of them are similar or identical to outsourced systems used on MasterCraft. I mean, engine and transmission problems - I guess it's natural to blame Malibu, but engine problems should more likely be at the doorstep of the same company that makes engines for MasterCraft...

pilot02
05-18-2006, 08:41 AM
I'd have to question how the boat has been maintained. That's a little too much going wrong to be coincidence in my book.

bradamerry
05-18-2006, 08:57 AM
So much of the critical systems on boats these days is outsourced. All of the problems described above are with things that Malibu didn't make or design, just integrated and assembled, and many of them are similar or identical to outsourced systems used on MasterCraft. I mean, engine and transmission problems - I guess it's natural to blame Malibu, but engine problems should more likely be at the doorstep of the same company that makes engines for MasterCraft...
My point as well. Doesn't sound like a hull problem. Last time I checked Malibu didn't make motors.

east tx skier
05-18-2006, 11:03 AM
The new boat feels much lighter than the previous years which lends to a more nimble feel in the water.

I'm gonna guess the only difference (other than the prop you mentioned) would be the new 06 rudder.

Ric
05-18-2006, 11:13 AM
I'm gonna guess the only difference (other than the prop you mentioned) would be the new 06 rudder.
I second that . put on your flamesuit skisix, because I'd take peppermint paddy over any response on the water! :uglyhamme

tex
05-18-2006, 11:15 AM
I am sick of ya'll dogging out Malibu. It is great! During the summer, mix it with a splash of coke and it is very refreshing!

Ric
05-18-2006, 11:16 AM
I am sick of ya'll dogging out Malibu. It is great! During the summer, mix it with a splash of coke and it is very refreshing!
mmmm coconuts

east tx skier
05-18-2006, 11:24 AM
I second that . put on your flamesuit skisix, because I'd take peppermint paddy over any response on the water! :uglyhamme

Marci concurs, sir.

rodltg2
05-18-2006, 11:25 AM
these kind of things happen probably to all boat manufactures. all my problems werent mastercraft related , it was whoever makes that dang fuel pump. now if the hull, carpet, upholstery was falling apart , thats a different story...

Ric
05-18-2006, 11:25 AM
Marci concurs, sir.
haaaaaaa

don't ruin it for me, peppermint patty liked boys, I just know it!

88 PS190
05-18-2006, 11:36 AM
i dunno about supporting malibu, compared to some of the other coconut rums it has a distinctly turpintinish after taste.

just my opinion but some of the others on the market such as bacardi coco seem to have a better palate.

and yea those are all out sourced components, although some of the electrical gremlins seem to indicate an assembly issue. and adding it all up there is probably some component, ie. wiring harness or similar that's breeding alot of the electrical issue, and that's a malibu part.