PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question of the day (trailer brakes)

Blair
05-17-2006, 11:27 PM
where do i put the pin in to lock out the trailer brakes when launching?

erkoehler
05-17-2006, 11:55 PM
Do you have the 5 flat connector or the 7 round? The brakes should automatically disengage if you have the right connector on. Is the boat on a 2006 trailer as well?

Blair
05-18-2006, 12:03 AM
2006 trailer 7 round connector, but when reading the manual it says to unplug the connector before launching, and this started an argument over here

erkoehler
05-18-2006, 12:08 AM
Ok, well anyways there is a small hole on the side of the trailer tongue, you can stick a screw driver or "pin" in there to prevent the brakes from activating.

You can keep the lights plugged in though, they are sealed units.

Blair
05-18-2006, 12:12 AM
thanks... but if we blow up the truck im gonna blame it on you and send you the bill :)

sand2snow22
05-18-2006, 12:33 AM
Ok, well anyways there is a small hole on the side of the trailer tongue, you can stick a screw driver or "pin" in there to prevent the brakes from activating..

I've always wondered why the guys at my dealer use that "pin" when they are moving boats around. Now I know.....

erkoehler
05-18-2006, 12:38 AM
That's my dealer tip of the day :dance:

Workin' 4 Toys
05-18-2006, 08:58 AM
thanks... but if we blow up the truck im gonna blame it on you and send you the bill :)
You have been watching too many movies......;)

As a side note, the reverse brake disengagement only works through the wiring if the reverse lights are hooked up to the plug. Which gives them the reason to have the "pin" option, for those that don't have the wiring done.

east tx skier
05-18-2006, 11:01 AM
If it's the same lockout key that's on the older trailers, $5 worth of ceramic magnets has been the best way I've found to keep that thing from falling out.

meggsy1221@aol.com
05-18-2006, 11:45 AM
where do i put the pin in to lock out the trailer brakes when launching?
Also another suggestion from Wizard lake marine in Calmar, is to have 2 nuts and place them in so that the tounge cannot move to engage brakes, I hold mine in place with velcro.

Ric
05-18-2006, 12:09 PM
That's my dealer tip of the day :dance:
dealer, did you ever get info on why the 04 had not cruise control?

TMCNo1
05-18-2006, 12:39 PM
The disc brakes are deactivated when connected to the tow vehicle by a lead from the tow vehicle backup lights. In any gear but reverse the brakes operate normally, but when the tow vehicle is placed in reverse and the backup lights come on a soleniod behind the trailer master cylinder is opened up, allowing the master cylinder to collapse with no pressure on the calipers and the trailer can then be backed up.
The reason dealers use a pin in some if not most instances is they use tractors, golfcarts, lawnmovers, etc to move them around and they are not wired to disconnect properly. Unlike drum brakes, disc brakes are less forgiving and the least amount of pressure will engage them.
On your trailer tongue, there is a slot on both sides of the tube that a pin through the master cylinder slides in and the pin fits inside the slot behind, to prevent the master cylinder from compressing and engaging the brakes.
If the trailer light wiring was to be disconnected prior to launching, they would never have designed the braking system to collapse so you could back up with the wiring connected as it is suppose to be. Furthermore all your trailer lights are Waterproof and can be left connected.

#47of100TeamMC
05-18-2006, 01:38 PM
Do the new 2006 trailers come wired with the Circular 7prong plug hard wired on the trailer? (if so, disregard this next paragraph)

Mine has the 5prong straight connector hard wired to the trailer which I have a 5prong to a 7prong adapter connected to the truck. I figured out I had a bad ground and once in reverse the trailer brakes didn't always disengage... a fix for this is to reverse the 5 prong plugs so they are connected backwards. (only 4 prongs can be connected when this is done) This lines up the running lights wire from the truck, to the reverse lights wire on the trailer. Disengaging the brakes on the trailer... Oh, don't forget to turn on your lights in your tow vehicle or this is uselesss. saves from having to shove something into the hole on the trailer tongue.

Got them fixed now and all works fine... but it was better than having to shove a screw driver into the tongue of the trailer.