PDA

View Full Version : Removing Drivers Armrest

Dallas_Pechas
05-17-2006, 09:48 PM
The driver and stern wired-remotes for my 2002 X-7's stereo have quit working. I would like to remove one of the remotes to try to troubleshoot the problem. Getting access to the stern remote from the inside (through the ski locker) seems very difficult, so I'd like to try to remove the driver's remote. It is mounted in the plastic armrest in which the throttle is also mounted. Unfortunately, I have been unsuccessful removing the armrest. It has 3 or 4 torx screws near the top edge, but they just spin instead of backing out. I can barely reach the back of the aft-most screw, and I can feel the nut turning with the screw, but it doesn't seem possible to reach the nuts on the back of the other screws. What is the trick to removing these screws and the armrest?

Thanks!
Paul Pecha
Plano, TX

erkoehler
05-18-2006, 01:41 AM
ttt for you.

DanC
05-18-2006, 10:53 AM
The trick is you need 7 foot arms and a remote spy camera. :(

There is one small screw in the center at the bottom edge of the panel. Remove it. This will allow you to pull the panel out from the bottom a bit and allow you to reach a little further. Be carfull, you can pull too hard and pull the top mounting screws throught the panel (yes I did, on about the fourth dissassembly). The nuts on the torx screws are nylon lock nuts. I reached in (use a long sleeve shirt, you are going to get little itchy fiberglass cuts) and put a vise grip on the nut.

Good luck, this was the most fustrating part of my boat to work on.

Mag_Red
05-18-2006, 10:57 AM
:rant: That arm rest is a pain in the ars to remove!!! The 7' arms would be helpfull

JimN
05-18-2006, 11:01 AM
Before tearing things apart, go behind the head unit and look for the cable that plugs into the back, for the remotes. There is a "Y" cord when using two remotes and if they become unplugged, they stop working. Too much slack and hitting big wakes repeatedly can make the cable work itself free.

Ric
05-18-2006, 11:20 AM
one more thought
I had a TT boat for awhile with 2 remotes... they stopped working...
turns out that the rear remote had gotten drowned and it freaked them both out because they're on a y adapter
do not remove the armrest... (no need for it)

turn the key off, go under the radio, disconnect the remotes,
key on & play the radio... everything fine? then key off & plug in ONLY the driver remote....key on & play the radio... everything fine?
if that plays out like mine did, your rear remote is fried and will freak out the system if it stays plugged in.

I'd bet that is the source of your problem. as far as running a new remote, you can chase the cable by tying the new cable to the old or possibly there is a din connector in the rear storage area that would make this job quite simple??