PDA

View Full Version : Need some more advice...

blackbeauty02
05-17-2006, 08:49 PM
...from any of you mechanical minds. As you all know I am having problems with my transmission. I took it to a local boat store and they wanted $2100 to fix it (I know outrageous!) Well they said it is leaking water into the transmission from the transmission oil cooler. My bro and I were just going to replace the cooler and flush and refill the transmission. Will this work or do I need to have the transmission rebuilt (seals, clutch, etc.)? Let me know what you guys think b/c I sure as hell don't want to spend $2k when I could be spending it on cocaine and prostitutes (j/k)

6ballsisall
05-17-2006, 09:16 PM
Is it a 1:1 or 1.5:1 trans???

rlwiley
05-17-2006, 09:50 PM
We had a K-5 Blazer that same thing happen to. I believe the only reason that we had to have the trans. changed was b/c the clutch discs would slip.I don't know the internal make up of the trans. but I don't see why just draining it and then spraying or pouring so type of WD40 (or similar) to displace the water. Fill it back up w/ fluids and try it out. It is a $2100.00 try.
Nothing beats a try but a failure.

JimN
05-17-2006, 10:05 PM
I wouldn't use WD 40. That has cutting oil in it.

Have the oil cooler repaired at a radiator shop. It won't cost much more that $20. Drain the transmission and lines, refill it and add a little kerosene, then run it without putting a lot of load on it. Flush it again without the kerosene unless the oil is still milky, run it and repeat without adding kerosene again, unless the oil is milky. Better to rty this than just go dropping $ that could be put to better use.

Call around to the tranny shops near you. Some will know this transmission and be able to rebuild it for a lot less than $2100. The first dealer I worked for was getting them done for less than $800 and then we just provided the labor. Doing an R&R on a boat transmission isn't that bad but you need to be careful with propping up the motor since half of the motor support goes away when the trans comes out. If it's direct drive (not V drive), it's really not too bad.

If this works, send me one w/o the drugs.

6ballsisall
05-17-2006, 10:14 PM
FWIW I bought a new trans from Fantastic Finish Marine in Medina, OH for something like $675 for my 86' MC. It was about a 3 hour install with basic hand tools. If you do a new trans (which I question if you need) do the dampener plate while you are in there.

88 PS190
05-17-2006, 10:15 PM
I dunno if i'd bother trying to flush it w/ kerosine etc, just change its fluids several times.

Its going to be hard to get the kerosene out and since trans fluid is a synthetic the kerosine is likely going to harm its lubrication.

Once you have the trans free of water (i agree on the radiator shop for the cooler, they can solder that sort of thing) then you should try giving it a test go and see if its truely in need of that rebuild.

blackbeauty02
05-17-2006, 11:20 PM
Is it a 1:1 or 1.5:1 trans???

it's a 1:1 power ratio. BorgWarner Velvet Drive. Thanks for all the help. I was telling my friend it was worth a try to drain the fluid and refill and see how it goes. He thought that I might damage the tranny even more but the way I see it either way it will have to be fixed so might as well take the cheap route first.

6ballsisall
05-17-2006, 11:22 PM
it's a 1:1 power ratio. BorgWarner Velvet Drive. Thanks for all the help. I was telling my friend it was worth a try to drain the fluid and refill and see how it goes. He thought that I might damage the tranny even more but the way I see it either way it will have to be fixed so might as well take the cheap route first.

Not sure how you could damage it more by draining and refilling. If it is bad give these guys a ring. 1:1's are pretty cheap, the slots cost more

http://www.fantasticfinishmarine.com/index.html

It's a really easy job to do

88 PS190
05-18-2006, 12:16 AM
http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1101

2100 is more than ski dim charges for a new velvet drive unit.

6ballsisall
05-18-2006, 12:17 AM
If we are talking prices guys you will be hard pressed to beat Fantastic Finish, less than a grand guys........

rodltg2
05-18-2006, 12:33 AM
just buy some cocaine, tweek on the tranny all night , then have the prostitutes over !

blackbeauty02
05-18-2006, 11:23 AM
thanks for all your help guys. i will definately give fantastic finish a call if this doesn't work out.

stumbledog
05-18-2006, 11:35 AM
FWIW I bought a new trans from Fantastic Finish Marine in Medina, OH for something like $675 for my 86' MC. It was about a 3 hour install with basic hand tools. If you do a new trans (which I question if you need) do the dampener plate while you are in there.

They swap a rebuilt trans with yours for that price?

blackbeauty02
05-18-2006, 03:25 PM
well, might have some good news here...(I am actually blackbeauty's older bro) My father in law is actually doinfg all the work himself..I talked to him today and tranny is fine, oil cooler needs to be replaced.No burnt tranny fluid, everything looks ok, only a tiny amount of water in the fluid. It looks like there is probably a small crack in the oil/tranny cooler wall. when the boat is running hard the pressure of the water running through it forced a small amount of water in the tranny and when the boat is sitting(shortly after leaving the lake) the boat leaked some tranny fluid(since no water is in the tranny/oil cooler at that point there is only air pressure which was probably less than the cooler causing the cooler to leak fluid out the return). We will know for sure Friday or Saturday. My father in law is very good at this stuff. He normally doesnt work on transmissions but an occasional outdrive here and there and does alot of work on Fountains, Formulas Etc. Mainly high performance builds(572's etc). A few motors he has built have been in boats featured in hot boat magazine and they spoke very highly of him and his buddy. Most of the poker run guys and any of the big power boat guys(most on Grand Lake) know and trust him. Last featured motor his buddy and him did put out 1096 hp out of a blown 572, but they had to machine a ew blower pully and lower boost as they couldn't get an outdrive to last as hard as the guy drove it so they de-tuned it to under a thousand hp. That motor was insured for 125k and was put in a Dave's custom hull.