PDA

View Full Version : X-7 Supercharged

eyeball_jerry
05-17-2006, 06:26 PM
I am considering a supercharger for my 2003 x-7 with the mmcx engine. I am wondering if anyone has done this? What is the performance I could expect, speed and power, along with gas mileage.

thanks

rodltg2
05-17-2006, 06:28 PM
didnt someone do that? wasnt it jjsosnoski?

86Craft
05-17-2006, 06:47 PM
Does your X-7 seem under powered? It should be able to be done, but why? Might have motor box cover clearance issue.
I'll be watching this. :popcorn:

kalanic
05-17-2006, 06:52 PM
Yes, please keep us posted with pictures if you go through with it!

rodltg2
05-17-2006, 07:21 PM
i found a pic of his engine cover....
here is his post about it..

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=90093&postcount=398

eyeball_jerry
05-17-2006, 07:24 PM
I don't think it is under powered, I have had some guys say footing is a little soft and I was wide open. More than anything I love to go fast, and upgrade my boat. I already put 06 JL's in. I will say that was an experience, I wouldn't recommend it.

rodltg2
05-17-2006, 07:25 PM
you should have bought the lq9 ...

bigmac
05-17-2006, 07:28 PM

Some guys like to tinker. They prefer to build horsepower rather than buy it.

PendO
05-17-2006, 07:30 PM

yeah, I heard they are trouble-free:)

I love more horsepower ... you do it first, then I will convince my wife I need to do the same thing!

eyeball_jerry
05-17-2006, 07:33 PM

I love more horsepower ... you do it first, then I will convince my wife I need to do the same thing!
Quote of the day perhapse.. "It is easier to beg for forgivness, than ask permission"

bcampbe7
05-17-2006, 07:36 PM
What about just changing the prop? Or have you already done that?

rodltg2
05-17-2006, 07:41 PM

dont be a weenie just do it...

PendO
05-17-2006, 07:42 PM
Quote of the day perhapse.. "It is easier to beg for forgivness, than ask permission"

Not sure about that, the begging can get EXPENSIVE ... easier to stick to a need to know basis:)

rodltg2
05-17-2006, 07:44 PM
she'll never know the difference

rodltg2
05-17-2006, 07:45 PM
so if you were to modify the motor in a 197, how fast could the boat safely handle ?

eyeball_jerry
05-17-2006, 08:00 PM
so if you were to modify the motor in a 197, how fast could the boat safely handle ?
What I heard, is 60 to 70mph for the x-7, same hull. However, I am trying to find anything to back that up.

jjsosnowski
05-17-2006, 08:27 PM
try an acme 13 x 13 prop. .080 cup. you will get 48mph. if you super charge you are going to have to get away from the factory rev. limiter. good luck

PendO
05-17-2006, 08:27 PM
What I heard, is 60 to 70mph for the x-7, same hull. However, I am trying to find anything to back that up.

maybee with a Jet Engine Turbine ... but you will not be getting that speed in a 197 with the shaft angle and hull design unless you supercharge that thing to like 1000 hp ... MYMC had a thread about this on this board or on his www.mymastercraft.com board ... RodL had the 385 hp and was right around 50, right Rod?

TRBenj
05-17-2006, 09:04 PM
maybee with a Jet Engine Turbine ... but you will not be getting that speed in a 197 with the shaft angle and hull design unless you supercharge that thing to like 1000 hp ... MYMC had a thread about this on this board or on his www.mymastercraft.com board ... RodL had the 385 hp and was right around 50, right Rod?

Given the 197 hull design, that is probably a true statement. However, there is a guy on the Malibu board that tuned the 350 in his Sportster and ran a GPS-verified 68 MPH with a few people in the back seat. Granted, that boat is pretty light and gets a lot of hull out of the water.

Theres also a member on the CC board that has a tuned 351w with Nitrous in his 70's Nautique that claims he can run up to 74 MPH. I believe he has modified his hull though.

With enough money and the proper modifications, you can make an inboard ski boat fast!

JimN
05-17-2006, 09:12 PM
eyeball_jerry- assuming that you're not changing to a carb, where are you going to get the recal for the ECM, or is this blower not adding much boost?

eyeball_jerry
05-17-2006, 10:42 PM
eyeball_jerry- assuming that you're not changing to a carb, where are you going to get the recal for the ECM, or is this blower not adding much boost?
I pretty much have no idea, I was talking with a fellow mastercrafter today about the whole supercharger thing, he actually brought it up. He knows or worked with a guy at indmar. Suposidly they have put out a few kits for mastercrafts, that is what i was hoping to find. However, I haven't been able to find anything on it. He had estimated perhapse i could see 60 as they run with 190 with the big block and he get in the 50's and the supercharger should be faster. But again I have no real evidence of any of this that is what i am looking for. I am starting to think he was full of somthing other than facts. I wouldn't mod the engine to gain only 6 mph that woudl be a wast of effort.

JimN
05-17-2006, 10:49 PM
The guy from Indmar- is his name Matt or Monty?

6ballsisall
05-17-2006, 10:54 PM
I'd think you'll need some very deep pockets to do what your talking about........

SKI*MC
05-17-2006, 10:59 PM
Anyone remember "The Beast" That MC made, with the jaw on the front? Didn't it have like 550 hp or something?

6ballsisall
05-17-2006, 11:12 PM
Furthermore, I think 60-70mph in a X7 would really give you the "pucker factor"

Prostar19
05-17-2006, 11:22 PM
It will still not go fast. Maybe a few more mph. MC did it a few years ago on an LQ9 for Keith St Onge. It was a supercharged 6 ltr with the hood scoop in the motor box. I was able to foot it with Keith during testing. Hole shot and acceleration was better and top end was 49 - 50. With the transmission MC is using you are not going to get a lot of speed out of the boat. I am not sure of longevity of a supercharged boat engine. In a car you are truning much lower RPM's than you will in the boat. It was also very loud in the boat with the supercharger and having the hood scoop for the air flow and extra clearance.

rodltg2
05-17-2006, 11:31 PM
Furthermore, I think 60-70mph in a X7 would really give you the "pucker factor"

i dont know, but it seems to me that the 197 was not designed to go that fast and handling could become dangerous

6ballsisall
05-17-2006, 11:36 PM
i dont know, but it seems to me that the 197 was not designed to go that fast and handling could become dangerous
my point exactly. If you want to go faster, get a different boat.

eyeball_jerry
05-18-2006, 07:12 AM
Excellent, the armada grows. I will just need a second boat. I think that takes care of this . Thanks

Workin' 4 Toys
05-18-2006, 09:03 AM
Excellent, the armada grows. I will just need a second boat. I think that takes care of this . Thanks
AWE, COME ON, don't give up that easy. I'd like to see you do it. It's what we need here on the board. Some customizations other than stereos and props....
How about a turbo?!?!? Or two?!?!?

(Not that there is anything wrong with stereo and prop customization)

Ric
05-18-2006, 09:30 AM
hey we talk about fin adjustments and spots on the interior too! :rolleyes:
AWE, COME ON, don't give up that easy. I'd like to see you do it. It's what we need here on the board. Some customizations other than stereos and props....
How about a turbo?!?!? Or two?!?!?

(Not that there is anything wrong with stereo and prop customization)

eyeball_jerry
05-18-2006, 10:31 AM
Ok, I talked with the "man" he was gonna hook me up with all the parts and computer work, for a measly 10 grand and a ton of work, it can be done. However, it would only be an increase of about 100hp maybe less. So I have offically decided it just isn't worth it. I will need to about upgrading in a few years. That big block is pretty.

east tx skier
05-18-2006, 10:39 AM
With no engineering background, but with lots of hours logged reading this site, I'm gonna say no way no how you're getting an X7 to 70 mph. Too much drag, fixed shaft angle, 1:1. Malibus have less wetted surface and get get more top end anyway. I read the thing about the old SN getting that speed and disregarded it.

If I ever see it happen first hand, I'll eat these words and call them ice cream.

JimN
05-18-2006, 10:56 AM
I was talking with a friend about doing an older car and he mentioned a setup for a motor based on the 5.7L Chevy, and with the block coming from a boneyard, it runs about $4000. Uses a carb but puts out over 400 HP. You could get the 350 Ramjet crate motor for less than $5500 and it puts out 350 HP/390 ft-lb of torque. There are lots of ways to add speed for less than $10,000 but the hull still wasn't designed to go that fast. This has been discussed before- a MC isn't a speed boat.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-18-2006, 03:06 PM
Eyeball, ETS, and Jim....
You guys make it sound like it shouldn't be done. You know there are people out there turning Mavericks, Pintos, civics, camrys and the like into race cars, and in my mind should never even be considered a thought. Not that it is intended to be a a comparison by any means. However, some people do some really crazy things out there. Sometimes it pays off, and sometimes it doesn't. I highly doubt the pinto was ever designed to put a 600HP engine in it, but people have done it. Then again, I suppose they could have much better spent the money and built something fast, but what the heck.. They want something unique, and if they never go that fast, they like to think they can.
Me, I'd would personnally congratulate the person that could get an X7 to do 70MPH, (I wouldn't ride in it:o , but they would get a thumbs up from me)

Now eyeball, if we could get you to look past that $10,000 figure:eek: , could you persuaded into it?

JimN
05-18-2006, 03:13 PM
Running a boat on water is a far cry from being able to change the suspension and drive a car on roads. At high speeds, a boat does all kinds of things that cause it to be unstable and unless there's a way to change the way it handles quickly, it could flip or toss people out onto the water. These hulls are not designed to be run at those speeds and that's the reason I wouldn't do it to this boat. If it was a go-fast boat and was set up for it, I think it would be great. Without major frame/suspension mods, putting 600HP in a pinto isn't safe.

But as they say in drag racing, "If it goes straight, it's fun and if it doesn't, it's exciting".

east tx skier
05-18-2006, 03:17 PM
If money is not object, I say go for it. It's not that I have some sort of objection to it, I would just wager that it's not going to happen without some extremely serious modifications if then. But then again, I'm fully prepared to eat my words if and when it does. I think the first step might be to get an older, lower drag hull to use as the project boat for this though.

Eyeball, ETS, and Jim....
You guys make it sound like it shouldn't be done. You know there are people out there turning Mavericks, Pintos, civics, camrys and the like into race cars, and in my mind should never even be considered a thought. Not that it is intended to be a a comparison by any means. However, some people do some really crazy things out there. Sometimes it pays off, and sometimes it doesn't. I highly doubt the pinto was ever designed to put a 600HP engine in it, but people have done it. Then again, I suppose they could have much better spent the money and built something fast, but what the heck.. They want something unique, and if they never go that fast, they like to think they can.
Me, I'd would personnally congratulate the person that could get an X7 to do 70MPH, (I wouldn't ride in it:o , but they would get a thumbs up from me)

Now eyeball, if we could get you to look past that $10,000 figure:eek: , could you persuaded into it?

Workin' 4 Toys
05-18-2006, 03:18 PM
Jim,

Hmmmm, Wonder how that saying goes if there was a skier attached....;)

Workin' 4 Toys
05-18-2006, 03:22 PM
ETS, if someone sinks $10K into a Drag racin' X7, I don't think they would oppose a few added fins or some wake plates. And perhaps a second rudder....:rolleyes:

I am somewhat skeptical of the tower having boards on it and those speeds. Oh, and maybe the bimini shouldn't be set up...:rolleyes:

east tx skier
05-18-2006, 03:29 PM
So Rod's LQ9 got him roughly 50 to 52 mph. What kind of power are we talking about here do you speculate.

How about a wing on the tower that lifts some of the boat out of the water? I think the large wetted surface and hooked hull are the biggest top end obstacles here. But if you reduce it too much, you've gotta worry about not having important things like props, rudders, and tracking fins in the water.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-18-2006, 03:30 PM
It's crazy you guys actually have me thinking about this........

JimN
05-18-2006, 03:32 PM
Carving some steps into the hull and fairing them in would reduce drag but I would still want to do some testing before taking it up to those speeds. An X-7 is a little short (based on beam, height, weight distribution, etc) for 70 MPH.

I do know that a blower was installed on a Maristar at one point but I don't know the speed or other mods done for this but I would imaging they took it out when the lake was dead calm and didn't do anything stoopid as far as quick turns. I heard it screamed, though.

east tx skier
05-18-2006, 03:36 PM
What about installing some sort of vectoring system around the prop so you could, without changing it from a fixed drive, trim it out.

JimN
05-18-2006, 03:39 PM
Since we're designing a whole new boat, why not just.....?

east tx skier
05-18-2006, 03:45 PM
Since we're designing a whole new boat, why not just.....?

I'm thinking a lot of wax on the hull is going to be a must here as long as we're squeaking mph out of it.

I know that on my hull and additional 10--15 hp = zero top end (but a nice bump in the low end (which is what I wanted anyway).

JimN
05-18-2006, 03:48 PM
I think a different cam and intake could do quite a bit on this motor and there are some blowers out there that only give about 4-6 pounds of boost but would help out on the top end and allow a more aggressive prop. A lot less than 10 grand.

east tx skier
05-18-2006, 03:52 PM
Well, I just ask that everything is videod for curious folks like me.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-18-2006, 11:51 PM
I am leaning towards twin turbos as a better alternative.

James O'Keefe
05-19-2006, 08:38 AM
I saw the "The Beast" in action. Seemed to me like all the boat wanted to do was "porpoise"