PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Trailer Refurb PROJECT(photos)

bbeach
05-17-2006, 11:45 AM
I thought I'd post the link to some pictures of the entire process of refurbing my 1990 prostar trailer! It came out better than I ever expected! Enjoy! :cool:

Trailer Refurb Project (http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/326608.html?1147813488)

ajgressette
05-17-2006, 11:49 AM
Great Job!!! :toast:

east tx skier
05-17-2006, 11:50 AM
Fantastic job!

herringtech
05-17-2006, 12:00 PM
Wow that is awesome, very nice job. I need to do that to my trailer, but I am torn. My boat lives 90 to 95% of the time in dry stack at the marina, and the trailer in a storage yard not to far from there. I would hate letting the trailer sit after all that work.

stumbledog
05-17-2006, 12:17 PM
The powder coat really looks nice. $400 to blast and coat seems like a deal.

meggsy1221@aol.com
05-17-2006, 12:33 PM
Great looking trailer!!

i notice your trailer has a swing away tounge,I have a tandem axle for my 205. My question is has anyone heard of cutting the tounge to include a swing away tounge?

THANKS

east tx skier
05-17-2006, 12:35 PM
Yes, you can buy a kit to do this. Do a search for SodarSki's trailer project. He recently did this mod.

http://pivithitch.com/

86Craft
05-17-2006, 12:41 PM
Real Nice. Sets your boat off too!

meggsy1221@aol.com
05-17-2006, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the tip!

Kell
05-17-2006, 01:06 PM
Very nice! I really like the lights on the guide poles.....I'd like to do something similar.

Farmer Ted
05-17-2006, 01:37 PM
Yes, you can buy a kit to do this. Do a search for SodarSki's trailer project. He recently did this mod.

http://pivithitch.com/

I just bought one from Extreme Trailers (Pivit Hitch)

give Dave Rogan a call and tell him where you heard about his product!

Great guy to work with.

bbeach
05-17-2006, 03:22 PM
Mine had a reg hitch before my refurb. I bought the pivot hitch kit and had it welded on... Works awesome! I bought mine from Croft in KC for $114...

Kevin 89MC
05-17-2006, 11:19 PM
Dude, that kicks @$$! VERY nice! Cool to see what my trailer could look like, if I could find the time. Nice job!

James O'Keefe
05-18-2006, 12:34 PM
Looks great. What all did you have to do to the fiberglass fender wells?

M-Funf
05-18-2006, 01:12 PM
That looks really nice! I printed out the pictures and put them in my "to do" binder...

Rockman
05-18-2006, 01:18 PM
BBeach,

Very well done! :headbang: :toast:

87 TriStar 190
05-18-2006, 09:33 PM
I am currently completing the refurb on my 87 trailer. I got everything I could do with the boat on the trailer. I'll try to do bunk carpeting while I'm on vacation and the boat is off the trailer. Great before and after photos. Even more impressive after seeing the before shots. I am still looking for decals. Yours look super. I also like you prop guard wheels. Gives me anther idea. Where did you get the wheels and what are they originally intended for. Nice job. Your boat looks like it deserves a perfect trailer.

bbeach
05-19-2006, 01:07 PM
okay to answer a few of your questions 87 tristar...

First off if you buy the standard 12 foot carpet replacements for your bunks they will not be long enough. YOu need a 13 foot long section in order to have enough overhang to wrap around and staple. Don't forget to use Stainless staples or you'll be seeing rusted ones within weeks.

secondly the prop cage wheels I bought at tractor supply. They are 300lb capacity a piece caster rollers and they come attached to a weak stainless l bracket which I cut off. I have these ones mounted with a through grade 8 4 inch bolt and shored up using washers... As I've found you'll never really have much more than 300lbs of pressure on those wheels at any given point and if for some reason they break the bolt will more than likely sheer first and they can be easily replaced... So far these wheels have worked perfect... (BTW they are a 3 inch cast steel caster wheel)...

Lastly the decals... I designed the stickers myself. One of my programmers at work made and cut the decals from my vector files... They are cut on 10 year high gloss white vinyl and they really make the trailer look great! The pinstriping, while difficult to get straight really made the trailer pop! I bought the 1/4 inch pin striping at Oreillys for a few bucks for 40ft and did the whole trailer with a few redos...

Hope this info helps! thanks for the props I'm really proud of how it came out!

east tx skier
05-19-2006, 02:28 PM
As an alternative on casters for the trailer, these are the ones I used. I wish they had poly casters though. If you want drag wheels because of a harsh driveway slope, these steel wheels will do a real number on your driveway surface. But they're very durable and intended as boat trailer drag wheels.

Paktron Micro Marine Roller (http://www.pakindustries.com/micro_marine.html)

Photo taken before last coat of paint.

sanjuan23
05-19-2006, 02:55 PM
Soooo Jealous. Wish I had the time and patience to tackle something like that. Looks Fabulous!

Matt L.
05-31-2006, 01:17 PM
If I don't get transfered I'm going to tackle my 1990 240sc trailer this summer since the family bailed and went back tio KC for the summer leaving me to roast in Tucson. Yes it will be 100+ all week!

I'm going to have the boat lifted and set on blocks during the project. Rumor has it that one of the prisons has a powder coat training operation and will do project work for cheap!!! I'd like to go that route if they can do it. It may depend on the size of their oven.

I'm thinking a high zinc content self healing corrosion resistant primer coat, red color coat, and a high gloss clear coat. New bunks, all new SS fastners, rollers, etc, etc.....

Already has SS disk brakes, I'm looking a new axles with oil filled hubs. I want a no maintainance trailer. $crew repacking the wheel bearings. I'm going with all LED lights. Already have a boatbuddy and new doublewheel jack that is very heavy duty and much more stable for my big boat.

For parts check out:

http://www.championtrailers.com/

bbeach, KStateAlumni huh, Baker U myself. I miss the fishing. Alma, Kansas buddy has 28K acre ranch covered with bass ponds and Corp of Engineers watershed lakes with amazing bass fishing. AZ fishing $ucks!

Wife and boys just finished a week at Beaver Lake AR. If I could only get transfered to Springfield, MO!!!

bbeach, your trailer came out great! I'm inspired to make my trailer look like new (like my boat) after seeing yours!

Later,

Matt

krcflyer
06-29-2009, 01:07 AM
Does anyone have the photos on bbeach's project saved--the link is dead and I'd really like to see the whole job. Actually, I'm rebuilding the spindly prop guard on my 91 TS trailer after several bouts with the driveway.
Thanks!